Some concerns from last night

Although well beaten Parramatta showed a lot of grunt in their forwards last night and their back row really pounded the Brisbane edges and for the people who do not put much value in having structured defence the Broncos showed how defence wins you matches.

Anyway my point both teams ripped and teared with their forwards, everything was done at speed and with power. Outside Sue, we lack a forward that actually plays this style of game. Hope I am wrong but I am not sure we have the right mix in the forwards for the way the game is played in 2016.

In saying that Parra would have killed to have had Teddy,Mosses and Brooks. No Foran, injured Norman and as well as Gordon played he is no Teddy, they looked clueless at times, but I guess its round one.

We should know a lot more by 7.30pm on Saturday night if I am on the right track or talking through my ……

Fair comments. Starting to worry that Siro doesnt have the explosiveness needed. Lawrence and Sue do. All the backrowers last night were great.

Hard to say - Parra lost their halfback a day or so before kickoff, and their #6 during the game. As a result they had nothing in the way of playmakers, and were basically forced to just try and bash their way through.

The Broncos defence is exactly what we need to aspire too. They’re not especially massive hitters or brutal in that sense, they’re just extremely fit and communicate very well. Their reading of second man and block plays is pretty much peerless in the league, which just means they’ve spent hour upon hour on it on the training ground.

As I’ve said all through the pre season , having a good strong ,mobile back row who can play big minutes with reduced interchange will be crucial

Blair had more offloads in that one game than he did in all of his years with us combined

I think we have a very good shot at beating a team that has their whole spine untested. They have never really played together as a unit and will take time to work together. Tigers odds look very juicy.

@fulleightyminutes:

Blair had more offloads in that one game than he did in all of his years with us combined

Probably says more about Bennett than anything else and having the confidence to try things

Yeah you have to be smart about your interchanges.
I noticed Corey Parker played 60 minutes straight and Nikorima and Jo Ofanhengaue didn’t come into the game till the last 15 minutes.
A real grinding game, Broncos never got out of 2nd gear and were clinical, they just did what they had to do.
Good effort after coming back from England.

to me, the broncos will be yardstick for other teams this season. they have recruited well and have no apparent weaknesses. this is on top of their dream draw. i think they have 24 out of 26 matches as night games. they have everything going for them and are the team to beat this year.

@Blackpearl:

to me, the broncos will be yardstick for other teams this season. they have recruited well and have no apparent weaknesses. this is on top of their dream draw. i think they have 24 out of 26 matches as night games. they have everything going for them and are the team to beat this year.

And guess what , the Broncos won that game with their defence

See Steve it can be done , you just have to be prepared to work hard and keep working hard

Dont worry we have Martin Tapau…oh wait Jason Taylor released him a year early :crazy

@happy tiger:

@Blackpearl:

See Steve it can be done , you just have to be prepared to work hard and keep working hard

The Bronks although have plenty of fire power know they do not have to go for the non percentage plays and can just grind away because they know they have a defence that will keep them in front or very close in most matches.

The only risk is if they forget how to throw caution to the wind on the very rare occasion it is called for, but with players like Milford and Roberts I do not think they will have a problem

@supercoach:

@happy tiger:

@Blackpearl:

The Bronks although have plenty of fire power know they do not have to go for the non percentage plays and can just grind away because they know they have a defence that will keep them in front or very close in most matches.

The only risk is if they forget how to throw caution to the wind on the very rare occasion it is called for, but with players like Milford and Roberts I do not think they will have a problem

They still have firepower all over the park SC , but still understand if they defend well it makes the job so much easier

How many games will you lose if you keep the opposition to 2 tries or less every week ??

we are waaayyy of broncos and even parra right now.

It appeared to me that Broncos were fairly comfortable to let Parra try to power their way around, because of the nil direction in attack. By end of the match it was bench forwards doing the distribution.

The match showed me that you have to play straight for perhaps longer than normal before you shift wide. I think teams are going to rely on sliding defence more this year because with reduced interchange they can’t afford to be quite as aggressive with their defensive line speed.

I felt Parra failed to maintain pressure up the middle and as such they were absolutely ineffective when they went wide. Noting of course their primary playmakers were out, but Kelly did nothing to get the forwards moving direct; Peats was fairly useless too.

Broncos on the other hand were outpowered and outsized from the first minute, but more mobile and ran the ball with more intelligence. Parker, McGuire, Gillett, Blair I felt took about 20 mins to really get into the game, and were smashed a few times early by keen Parra defenders. But after this their direct running and smart offloading really hurt the bigger Parra pack.

At one point Gillett took a direct run in and behind the markers, Parra’s men were laterally poor and he went half the length.

Once they had the Eels backpedaling and drawn to the centre, Hunt was floating passes out wide across the compressed Parra backline. Gutherson was absolutely found out in defence. Milford became more roving and dangerous as the game wore on.

It’s Brisbane’s defence that is going to get them near to the GF again this year. Totally comfortable. They weathered fairly energetic Parra raids, then marched the ball back upfield without too much trouble.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.