Cherrington proud..

• ForumSupporter

Manaia Cherrington proud to be wearing Robbie Farah’s famous No. 9 jumper
    March 4, 2016 3:17pm
    CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI
    The Daily Telegraph

HAD he remained in New Zealand, Manaia Cherrington knows he could have been running with one of the local street gangs.

Instead, Cherrington will run out with the Wests Tigers in Robbie Farah’s famous No. 9 jumper at Campbelltown Sports Stadium on Saturday night.

HAD he remained in New Zealand, Manaia Cherrington knows he could have been running with one of the local street gangs.

Cherrington, 21, grew up in the tough streets of Whangarei, in New Zealand’s far north, where gang violence was prevalent. Broncos and former Tigers’ forward Adam Blair was raised in the same area.

While too young to be exposed directly to the gangs, Cherrington says he lost family members to the street violence.

Fearing their son would head down the wrong path like so many other young boys in Whangarei, Cherrington’s parents made the brave decision to send him to Sydney to live with his aunty when he was just 10-years-old.

Cherrington is still proud to say he’s from Whangarei.

He’s clearly a passionate Kiwi given the impromptu haka he received from friends and family at the back of Leichhardt Oval after his debut in round 13 last year.

But there will be little love for his countrymen at the Warriors on a steamy night out west on Saturday.

Injury to Farah and back-up rake Matt Ballin has paved the way for baby-faced Cherrington to start the season at hooker _ and clash with New Zealand teammate Issac Luke.

“I was supposed to play against Issac last year, my second game was against South Sydney and Issac was named, and the whole week he was saying, ’I’m coming for you’, and ‘I’m coming after you’. I said you better take it easy,’’ Cherrington told The Saturday Telegraph.

“Then he got ruled out because of some little calf complaint.

“It will be awesome to play against him Saturday.

“He’s always happy to give anyone advice. He was like that with Cam McInnes at Souths. I learned so much off him (during the New Zealand tour late last year). I was doing extras with him in the gym, and he’d help me by telling me when I should run, when I should pass and kick.

“He’s one of the best hookers in the game, and to learn off him will only make me a better hooker.’’

Cherrington, who has played 11 NRL games, now has not one but two dummy-halfs to work with at the Tigers.

When Ballin was recruited from Manly, Cherrington knew he’d drop down to the third-choice hooker at the club.

“I will be honest, I was a bit down (with the situation),’’ Cherrington said.

“But having both players there now, I get to work with two great hookers, I’ll work hard, do the extras and try to give ‘JT’ (coach Jason Taylor) some good selection headaches _ all I can do is try and keep Robbie and Matt on their toes.’’

To prove how dedicated Cherrington is to the Tigers, he was given an extended break after the New Zealand Test series against England, but still came back early for a few days to join his teammates at a training cap in Port Stephens before Christmas, simply because he didn’t want to miss out.

Taylor has faith in Cherrington by not picking a back-up hooker, but few at the Tigers expect Cherrington to play the whole 80 minutes. In fact, it’s safe to say the baby-faced hooker who came through the Balmain grades with Luke Brooks and Mitch Moses will have more of an impact later in the game rather than early.

The stifling heat was a big reason Cherrington believed the smaller Tigers’ pack could upset the Warriors’ big men.

It will be tough. But not as tough as the life Cherrington would have lived had he never left Whangarei.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/tigers/manaia-cherrington-proud-to-be-wearing-robbie-farahs-famous-no-9-jumper/news-story/384fcf45f932a8b8234368c583fc2bd0

• Fingers crossed he kills it tomorrow night and tears the Warriors up around the ruck.

• @willow:

Fingers crossed he kills it tomorrow night and tears the Warriors up around the ruck.

First read ‘tears’ as in cries; definitely hope he tore it up.

• I am glad he chose NZ over possible Origin tbh. Good lad.

• Can’t wait to see him go. What an opportunity.

• I loved watching that haka last year, hope he has a blinder.

• “Street Gang”

• They love a story about a teen using footy to get out of the gangs. Fifita, M’au, Gavet… now it’s Cherry apparently.

• The stifling heat was a big reason Cherrington believed the smaller Tigers’ pack could upset the Warriors’ big men.

Fail.

Someone told me he spent every lunchtime in the library at school…. Then straight home to practise the recorder for 2 hours every day

• @Demps:

“Street Gang”

Hahaha

• Good luck to him. I hope he takes the opportunity and steps out of Farahs shadow.

• @innsaneink:

The stifling heat was a big reason Cherrington believed the smaller Tigers’ pack could upset the Warriors’ big men.

Fail.

Someone told me he spent every lunchtime in the library at school…. Then straight home to practise the recorder for 2 hours every day

I agree with your comment Ink but what does it have to do with the sentence you quoted? Am I missing something?

• @southerntiger:

@innsaneink:

Fail.

I agree with your comment Ink but what does it have to do with the sentence you quoted? Am I missing something?

http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=25988

I compared the size of both packs/bench

• @innsaneink:

@southerntiger:

@innsaneink:

Fail.

http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=25988

I compared the size of both packs/bench

Thanks. Interesting stats. Misunderstood your post. Thought your comment was about street gang references in the article.

• Yeah it was to a point, sorry for the misunderstand….the journo was wrong in his opinion of the heat and the big men, and Im a bit blase these days about reading of gangs etc, would be refreshing to actually read just once something like I dreamed up

Recent Topics