Fitness

I realise it was only round one but what the heck happened?
We looked absolutely shot at the 50 minute mark.

Sirro especially was slow getting back in the line.

EDIT: I should say we were obviously super impressive in the first half but I’m worried about how quickly we fell away.

It was a fast paced game. Forwards ran hard.

Dude…

Dude…

We played a team with Shaun Johnson, Roger Tuivasa-Scheck and Issac Luke. They were ALWAYS gonna have that period.

And we won.

Fitness had little to do with it imo. They just switched on. The Warriors need to just play all year like they are 50 behind and they will win.

On a hot day the use of your bench is very important, particularly with two less this season. Taylor got things right with his starting team etc, but his use of the bench, or lack of use in Buchanan’s case is really questionable.

We did get tired but not due to lack of fitness.
We got tired because we gifted them possession over and over then compounded that with penalties.
The teams I’ll discipline caused their workload to double whilst allowing the Warriors prime positions to attack.

If we controlled play better and made them work as hard as they had to in the first half they would have fallen apart around the 60 minute mark and we would have lapped them.

I didn’t realise before that Buchanan wasn’t used.

In that case Taylor’s use of interchange really has to be questioned.

@stryker:

We did get tired but not due to lack of fitness.
We got tired because we gifted them possession over and over then compounded that with penalties.
The teams I’ll discipline caused their workload to double whilst allowing the Warriors prime positions to attack.

If we controlled play better and made them work as hard as they had to in the first half they would have fallen apart around the 60 minute mark and we would have lapped them.

I just knew when we blew the chance to go up 34-4 shortly after half time it was going to hurt us. That was a simple error from kev, and we spiralled downward. Sirros pushed ball, sue’s poor attempt to squeeze a pass on tackle 2…Just dumb. It went on and on. Our defence on the goalline looked vulnerable. Maybe that’s a fitness thing, I’m not sure. But we lacked a clear minded plan to win. It all looked very off the cuff to me. Very Holden cup like. Maybe that’s a fatigue thing.

Hard to tell at the game…. We’re the penalties due to us beginning toose the ruck?
Was starting g to have bad thoughts about waiting for Klein

@Sabre:

:mrgreen: I didn’t realise before that Buchanan wasn’t used.

In that case Taylor’s use of interchange really has ronbe questioned.

Serious?

If we are going to play of the Cuff type Footy we will score plenty but will also risk plenty Tries at the same time .
The players we have simply play this style .

When we get out to that sort of lead ? that is when we have to revert to Structured Footy and play the Percentages.
Mitch Moses had 2 opportunities to go for goal when we got 2 Penalties in the same set and were 10 Metres out from the Post and i was screaming take the 2 when we were leading 28-10 and the 2 Points would of taken us out to a 20 Point lead . Yeah great having the confidence to Tap and keep going but was the wrong call IMO……had Farah been there ? i think he would of settled played down and gone for the 2…i could be wrong.

There was no defensive structures in that 2nd half it was more scrambling defence and a desire not to give in .

@innsaneink:

Hard to tell at the game…. We’re the penalties due to us beginning toose the ruck?
Was starting g to have bad thoughts about waiting for Klein

He was certainly whistle happy but it was our own faulty mostly. We did start losing the ruck because we changed the way we were playing. Their boys werent being fatigued out of the game as they should have been and when they scored a couple of tries they still had petrol in the tank to go on with it.

Only using 16 players was a real puzzler. I thought some fresh legs in the 2nd half could have helped.

The interchange bench wasnt used well at all.I have no idea why Buchanan didnt get game time,maybe he got a splinter sitting on the bench.I dont rate him much but a fit Buchanan would have been of more use than tiring forwards especially in the last 25 when we almost lost it

Sirro made 40 odd tackles, not bad for someone out of puff. Sometimes think people only see what they want to see.

For mind fitness wasn’t a concern for us it was the options we made that gave the Warriors a sniff. Our error rate and decision making costed us heavily.

I thought our fitness was very good. Made things hard in the second half with some forced passes which fell the Warriors way, but overall we scrambled well and showed more energy across the park than the Warriors.