Home ground importance

• I think it’s interesting that this year we start the season with 2 games at our traditional home grounds. In recent years playing at home hasn’t been all that advantageous but I’m sure the Tigers boys will do all they can to make the visiting teams know they have been in a real contest. I’m hoping the supporters will do likewise.
    Anyway, I had a quick glance at our home game record these past 10 seasons and only twice have we won more than 7 games at home since 2005. In 2010 and 2011 we won 9 of our home games, no coincidence we made the finals both years. In both those years we played 4 home games at Campbelltown and 4 at Leichhardt, the other 4 played at the SFS (Allianz Stadium now). But the last 4 years has seen us win no more than 6 games a season at Campbelltown, Leichhardt and ANZ or Allianz (2012). In fact last year was our worse performance at home winning just 4 games at all 3 venues.
    If the team can win the majority of the home games we will surely go close to making the finals. It’s why I think it vitally important for us fans to turn out in numbers and just “give it” to not only the visiting team but to do our best to influence decisions by officials. And given an intimidating atmosphere I think it’s only human nature to sometimes be swayed by the noise of a very vocal crowd.
    So let’s all get behind the boys and “'give it” to the silvertails next Monday night because 2 from 2 at home to start the season would give everyone a lift.

• I’ll be there Monday night

• More of a reason to make one ground our fortress

• I dont buy into too much… There is definately a case for some clubs, but I’m not sure its as important as gaining more possession than the opposition in the game.

I’m certain some stats will tell it means alot, but they are probably ignoring other stats which may have had a greater emphasis on results.

Before we decide on 1 ground, we need to decide if we are going to be a Sydney Club, or National Franchise based in Sydney?

• @happy tiger:

More of a reason to make one ground our fortress

I agree but at present it is what it is. I think the last few years we haven’t gone all that great at Leichhardt, and before that we went through a period of so so results at Campbelltown. You would think we would perform better at those two grounds in particular. Only 1 from 4 at Leichhardt last year and 1 from 4 in 2014. Have to improve results at these grounds, shoot for 8 from 8 and see what happens.

• @doublesonthemain:

@happy tiger:

I agree but at present it is what it is. I think the last few years we haven’t gone all that great at Leichhardt, and before that we went through a period of so so results at Campbelltown. You would think we would perform better at those two grounds in particular. Only 1 from 4 at Leichhardt last year and 1 from 4 in 2014. Have to improve results at these grounds, shoot for 8 from 8 and see what happens.

Yes but its been 40/67 since the start of the WT’s

And seeing we only have a 42% overall ratio , you can’t not rate the effect Leichhardt must have

• So you mean to tell me, if we win most of our home games we’re a good chance of making the finals? Well i’ll be….

• @Balmain Boy:

So you mean to tell me, if we win most of our home games we’re a good chance of making the finals? Well i’ll be….

50% win ratio will see you pretty close most years… maybe we should just forfiet the away games so not to effect our F/A & preserve players for a fresh assault on the finals?

• @happy tiger:

Yes. I was thinking about this yesterday.
    We cannot use any positivity from the win at Cambo last week, this week, we are at a new ground all over again, another first - first game at LO
    Imagine waking into the sheds on Mon night and remembering the last thing you did there was the victory song a week before, thats what Im getting at.
    The players dont have their own special spot in the sheds, they have three….theyd all have their fave ground, yet it may be months for them between games
    Cambo is our future and we really need to take ownership of the place

• Imo - last years games at Leichhardt - it was a disadvantage being the home side.

The more the Tigers supporters yelled the more we were penalised or didn’t receive the penalty. Refs did not want to be seen to be favoring the home side - could not believe it.

• Will be driving down from the Central Coast for this one.

• @innsaneink:

@happy tiger:

We cannot use any positivity from the win at Cambo last week, this week, we are at a new ground all over again, another first - first game at LO
    Imagine waking into the sheds on Mon night and remembering the last thing you did there was the victory song a week before, thats what Im getting at.
    The players dont have their own special spot in the sheds, they have three….theyd all have their fave ground, yet it may be months for them between games

I was with you until “Campbo is our future”. Nope sorry it isn’t ANZ is most likely our future and so it should be we are team formed of 2 inner west clubs - Wests Ashfields and Balmain Tigers, Our training ground has been at concord oval the traditional home of Wests Magpies, we are an inner west club with a little bit of South West so ANZ should be our home given Leichardt is too old and Cambo is too far away

• @Balmain Boy:

So you mean to tell me, if we win most of our home games we’re a good chance of making the finals? Well i’ll be….

Very good Balmain Boy but how many games from the 8 at Leichhardt & Campbelltown do you think we can win this year? Do you think we can make the finals if we win 5 of them? How about all our home games? What do you, or anyone else think, would be the minimum if we were to make the finals? I reckon a minimum of 8 from 12 home games.

• How many teams have made the finals by winning more away games than home games the last 10 years? The answer is 10 teams, an average of one team a year has made the finals with a better record away from home. So the odds are certainly not in your favour. And on average 1 team a year can make it to the finals with a 50% record in terms of home game results. Teams can make the finals by winning less than 50% of their homes games but this is rare of course, only 5 or 6 having done so the past 10 years. I hope, like everyone here, the Tigers win each and every game but I also know that will not happen so I hope that the team will do well enough in their home games to give themselves a realistic chance of making the finals. And I believe this is where their best chance lies.

• @innsaneink:

@happy tiger:

Ink I used to think that Campbelltown should be our home but since the state government are putting all their money into 3 stadia much closer to Sydney I don’t think playing out of Cambo is an option anymore.

Recent Topics