Importance of this game

sure, we could afford to lose this and still be in the top 8, but if we won this game that would possibly put us in to equal first alongside melbourne and a couple of other possibilities.

i may have said this before, but if we can get 55% of possession up there, we are a genuine chance.

the cowboys are always a dangerous team up in north queensland, but apart from thurston, aaron payne and gallant i don’t see much threatning attacking options in this bunch.

lets be honest with ourselves fellas, we won convincingly there in 2008, just lost there in 2007 and got mauled by them there last year. in TWO of those games we were ahead of the eight ball for most of the game and we seemed to hold out most of their attacking raids.

your opinion is most welcome

Agree this is an important game! It’ll give us 3 wins in a row and a lot of confidence to string other wins together, especially after travelling to Canberra and then up to Townsville!

I don’t agree that the Cowboys are dangerous… I think they have nothing! Thurston doesn’t have enough options around him… in fact he has none. Rovelli being dropped sucks for us because he is terrible! Payne is solid without being anything more and Gallant… (i don’t wana upset bug with my thoughts haha)

I think the Canberra game will be alot tougher and the attitude the side showed to come from behind and play as they did in the second half was very encouraging! Tigers should win, but with everything I said… it won’t be easy because it’s up there…

I think we will be more switched on from the outset, compared to yesterday. My main concern is Ayshford and his injury and if/who will replace him. Tonga is on fire at the moment so they will likely direct their attack through that corridor. If we can keep Tonga at Bay we will go a long way toward winning this match.

Very important game but application to improving on the flaws of the past weeks is also something I want to see

@prattenpark:

I think we will be more switched on from the outset, compared to yesterday. My main concern is Ayshford and his injury and if/who will replace him. Tonga is on fire at the moment so they will likely direct their attack through that corridor. If we can keep Tonga at Bay we will go a long way toward winning this match.

I agree, it looked like the team was not really switched on from the kick off.
yes the raiders had alot of possession in first half.
to beat cowboys have someone on thurston all the time.
he does play 2nd receiver alot.
need to be wary of this.
give Liam the job of shadowing him all night

Dont have the best feeling about this one. Townsvilles not our best travelling ground and weve been touched up there a bit. Last year was one of the worst performances weve played in 10 years up there.

The truth is we can afford to lose this game and I think that may hurt us. Illl be more confident in two weeks in Friday night football (Friday night football to me = a big game, and generally brings the best out in us).

Maybe im negative but id still more than take a top 8 finish. All this talk of being in the top three, it can happen, I just dont think we are there.

It is definitely a winnable game for us and one that would give us some massive confidence if we do come away with the 2 points. To get victories i n Canberra and then Townsville in consecutive weeks would be huge for the boys. I think after their first half efforts yesterday we won’t be seeing a repeat of that and Sheens will have them switched on from kick-off. Need to cut down Thurstons time in attack as he is a seriously good player and everyone saw what Tonga did, his footwork is phenomenal so whoever is marking up on him will have a big day ahead of them. I just think we have way too much class across the park and atm have a much more balanced side.

My prediction - Tigers victory!

Pacing is important as well. To get over this two away games on two hard road trips is good, with two wins better but we have to remember the week after is equally as hard and so on. From the Cows game we have a 6 day turnaround to the Dogs game and two 8 day turnarounds for the Panthers and Roosters leading into the Bye. They are all pretty brutal games or have the potential to be.

@citizen cub:

sure, we could afford to lose this and still be in the top 8, but if we won this game that would possibly put us in to equal first alongside melbourne and a couple of other possibilities.

i may have said this before, but if we can get 55% of possession up there, we are a genuine chance.

the cowboys are always a dangerous team up in north queensland, but apart from thurston, aaron payne and gallant i don’t see much threatning attacking options in this bunch.

lets be honest with ourselves fellas, we won convincingly there in 2008, just lost there in 2007 and got mauled by them there last year. in TWO of those games we were ahead of the eight ball for most of the game and we seemed to hold out most of their attacking raids.

I agree it looks good to be up near the top of the ladder, but it really means nothing right now.

I’d like to see them start the game and finish with the right attitude, no peaks n troughs…

@innsaneink:

@citizen cub:

I agree it looks good to be up near the top of the ladder, but it really means nothing right now.

I’d like to see them start the game and finish with the right attitude, no peaks n troughs…

I agree, and plus if NQ get off to a good start it will be a hard task to chase points down up in Townsville.

The humidity will be intact which will also work in their favour.

a number of factors we’ve got to deal with

i just hope we spend a week up there to become acclimatised to the weather so that it doesn’t take us by suprise when we walk out onto the field

The Tigers will certainly be looking for a better start than yesterday. I remember the clash last year, the Tigers could not hold the ball at all but their handling at this stage of the season is better than last year, and the team is stronger and fitter across the park. Thurston is the key for the Cowboys. If the Tigers can get over the top of the Cows forward pack, they can shut Thurston up, and they seriously lack options when he is kept quiet.

The Tigers do not need to take a fancy approach into this match. They need to complete their sets and get off their line in defence. If they do that then the Cowboys are there for the taking IMO.

… this game will be tough… with the likes of thurston, gallant & tonga on form…
but i do believe we could prevail in this one… it means alot…
if we win this … we could be equal leaders… then with a win against bulldogs…
… outright leaders… gotta have faith

We will need to start this one better.The humidity could be a problem as its overcaust and drizzling rain today,however it is 6 days away to game day, at present we seem to be having Melbourne weather up here.WillieTonga could be a big problem so our centres need to be on their game,Willie is playing extra well and is running the ball hard.If West Tigers play with the same will to win as in the 2nd half as against Canberra,big chance we will win in a tough game and no doubt Coach Sheens will remind them of this.JT will be at his best for this as said elswhere on this Forum.

Go West tigers……

:sign: :supporter:

Obviously containing Nth QLD’s right hand edge is imperative. But the ruck is equally important. Payne and Watts thrive off quick play the balls, and Wests will have to work hard to nullify the opportunities around that ruck area. The return of Payten and Gibbs has really assisted the Tigers in tightening up that area defensively. The pack and especially the centre forwards must pay close attention to the Cowboy Hookers. Because if Nth QLD get a roll on, JT will have a field day.

@citizen cub:

i dont think theres much chance of storm losing to GC with out prince though

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme