Whatuira mentoring young Wests Tigers players...

• ForumSupporter

Whatuira mentoring young Wests Tigers players

Thu 10th March, 01:35PM
    A A

Former Wests Tigers player Paul Whatuira spoke with the Club’s Holden Cup squad yesterday as he looks to share his knowledge with younger players and give back to the game of Rugby League.

Over the past few months, Whatuira has spoken with not only the Holden Cup squad, but also the SG Ball and Harold Matthews teams from Wests Magpies and Balmain Tigers.

The 2005 premiership-winning centre had an illustrious first grade career that spanned 11 seasons and included 16 Test Matches for New Zealand along the way.

“I was mainly just talking to them about looking after themselves,” Whatuira said. "If they want to cut-it in the high ranks then it’s a professional sport now so you have to look after yourself on and off the field.

"It’s all about an awareness of your surroundings, when you are out in the public, remembering that people are watching you and to look after yourself.

“You need to enjoy it as well though because not too many people get to play first grade, hopefully these guys will get their chance in a few years.”

Whatuira has been working closely with Career Coach Debbie Brewin from Wests Tigers’ Welfare and Education department.

Whatuira was also given the opportunity to present Club debutants Jordan Rankin, Tim Grant, Josh Aloiai and Jack Littlejohn with their jerseys before last weekend’s game against New Zealand.

Hear from Paul Whatuira in the Video above.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/content/tigers/club/news/2016/03/10/whatuira_mentoring_y.html

• ForumSupporter

Great stuff Whats….battled his own demons after retirement…giving back to the Club…

The Vid is a great listen…

• Yeah was a good listen Geo and great to hear that wests tigers is where his heart lies. Was always a fan of his and its also good that he is passing on expertise to our juniors.

• The Tigers seem to be bringing in the right guys in terms of building a great club culture. Respected Wests Tigers greats…no strings to anything prior. Well done

• Paul is a very family orientated man,he is also a peoples person…good on him for giving back to league but more so to the community,these are the type of NRL ex players that most should look up to…

best wishes for success in his furure undertakings…

• Great stuff. A lot of good work being done at the club of late.

• Things are going in the right direction for our club and I also loved Paul as a player.

• I can remember when Paul Whatuira was mentoring Chris Lawrence.

• Good on him, he would be a great role model, hope he inspires something special.
    An interesting side light, he made is debut against the WestsTigers for the warriors in 2000

• Banned

I see him around because he lives or works near us. I’ve talked to him a couple of times and he seems like a good guy.

• Probably the greatest unsung hero from 05. He should have stayed on a lot longer than he actually did.

• A really decent and hard-working guy. He deserved any success that came his way, rather than just expecting it. An astute appointment to help our club.

• I’m liking him and buckets coming back on board. Not just because they’re former players but they both seem like quality people.
    Nice touch last week of him handing out the new guys jerseys.

• He was one of my favorite non tigers players when he was playing for penrith. I was elated when he joined us and success followed him.

The video interview with him is really great. So if you didn’t watch it, do so.

• Good on ya Paul

Recent Topics