That's when not to take the 2!

Well lesson learnt last week for us, this week its Penrith with Jamie Bennett nah sorry soward. At 14-6 and two sets on the dogs line he or Wayne’s cousin griffin takes the 2. Probably where they lost it IMO.

The only time I see it really justified if being plugging away at their defence for ages and can’t make a break through, or of course if near the end of the game.

It’s tough to say. The Panthers had been whaling away on the Dogs goal line for quite some time and the Dogs were keeping them at bay with ease. Kicking the two and resetting has a few effects there…

1. 10 point lead is better than an 8 point lead, marginally.
2. Their plays were ineffective at that point, so close to the goalline. They might as well get a result and come at the Dogs tryline with a different pattern
3. If they had have tapped and not scored, the Dogs would have received a significant psychological boost and all signs were pointing to that occurring.

Was a 50/50 call there. I’d have tapped it, but I can understand the decision at the same time.

Unless it takes you past a specific barrier ie 7 ,13 , 19 etc it wasted unless you are wanting to run a clock down

And with the 7 or 13 barrier it must take a time barrier out of play

If there is more than 20 minutes left you do exactly what Penrith thought all those years ago against us when they ran down that 31-6 lead , that either you have closed up shop or you don’t think you can score another six pointer

You got to take in account who you are playing and what you defensive mental state is like

@happy tiger:

Unless it takes you past a specific barrier ie 7 ,13 , 19 etc it wasted unless you are wanting to run a clock down

And with the 7 or 13 barrier it must take a time barrier out of play

If there is more than 20 minutes left you do exactly what Penrith thought all those years ago against us when they ran down that 31-6 lead , that either you have closed up shop or you don’t think you can score another six pointer

You got to take in account who you are playing and what you defensive mental state is like

Yep, if they don’t require another try to get past you there’s more a case for running it.

Having said that they were locked out and maybe they felt it was their own chance at picking up points at the time, which is a bit of a surrender mentality.

@maxxy86:

Well lesson learnt last week for us, this week its Penrith with Jamie Bennett nah sorry soward. At 14-6 and two sets on the dogs line he or Wayne’s cousin griffin takes the 2. Probably where they lost it IMO.

I think Sowards woeful kick in goal on the last was the turning point - never looked like pulling up in goal.

Sterling o commented on this at the 20 Min mark
Wise words
They even went for field goals at HT which was pointless too

Its a very negative mind set, 18-6 or 20-6 it could have been. They were that much the better team on the night. But then again it was 3 tries to 2 in the end and their defence was good in the end like all of desire teams

@diedpretty:

I think Sowards woeful kick in goal on the last was the turning point - never looked like pulling up in goal.

That’s how I see it.

Penrith should have made the Dogs run 90 meters instead of giving them a 20m restart when closing out the game.
I also didn’t agree with them taking the 2 points towards the end. Different story if it had put them up by 12, but going from 8 to 10 still allows the opponents 2 converted tries to steal a victory.