Anyone watching games and thinking....

• We have got this mob covered….

Watching last nights game I thought gee we got more talent then these blokes. And both those sides are predicted around mid table by most experts. How many sides are there to fear in this competition? Brisbane and NQ are probably the only 2 to genuinely fear I reckon.

I know it’s very early however I am getting a very rare confident vibe about our side this year. People who know me well will say Im always talking things down. I have predicted us to be in the bottom 4 the last 3 years.

I hate to say it actually but it reminds me a bit of 2005 the start of this year. Not that I think we will end up winning the comp but that we have a a heap of young guns coming through at the same time with a few old veterans playing an up tempo style of football. No one at all rates us and that is when we usually produce a decent season.

The 2 games I have seen we ran in 5 and 6 tries very easily against the Sharks and Warriors. The Sharks and Warriors I think are Top 4 sides on paper. If your combinations are that good this early then there only going to get better really if injuries do not strike. You would like to think our defence has some improvement in it.

Now a couple of disclaimers. If Tedesco gets injured all bets are off, he is a superstar. The big concern I have is Origin. No Woods, Farah or TEDESCO would be huge. However Taylor and the staff have done a good job bringing in players capable of playing 1st grade at a decent level.

Our mob obviously has an ability to implode as we have seen the last 3 seasons. Of course we have to rememeber last season Newcastle won their 1st 4 and still finished last. The NRL is not a sprint it is a long slog and the grind kicks in after about 8 weeks.

Anyway, Ill call it now i reckon we will win 6 of our first 8 this year.

• Banned

IF WT going fantastic get the stars to forego SOO - for the club, they are getting super bucks. Maybe we could arrange a TPA to cover their $60K loss of salary for SOO

• I think we can safely cover Farah during Origin. Ballin should be just about right to go then and Cherrington is more than capable and JLJ showed he can fill in at 9 too. Woods is a bigger loss as he makes so many metres up the middle. Having said that, Grant looks like he’s in for a solid year and Ava is always pretty handy off the bench and has a good workrate.

Teddy is the biggest loss though, you’re 100% right on that Eddie. Hunt or Rankin could fill in but neither threaten the line like Teddy as they don’t have his speed or elusiveness. We do look good for scoring points through the spine we have, hopefully our defence improves so we can hold other teams out.

• If we play like we did against the Warriors in the 1st half to about 75% of our games we will make the 8 and need to play like that for about 65 minutes of of an 80 minute game and we will win more than we lose.
    We always get up for games that Punters give us no chance to win……the trouble with us is games that we are favourite to win.

• @willow:

I think we can safely cover Farah during Origin. Ballin should be just about right to go then and Cherrington is more than capable and JLJ showed he can fill in at 9 too. Woods is a bigger loss as he makes so many metres up the middle. Having said that, Grant looks like he’s in for a solid year and Ava is always pretty handy off the bench and has a good workrate.

Teddy is the biggest loss though, you’re 100% right on that Eddie. Hunt or Rankin could fill in but neither threaten the line like Teddy as they don’t have his speed or elusiveness. We do look good for scoring points through the spine we have, hopefully our defence improves so we can hold other teams out.

Woods will be a massive loss
    Woods Last weeks stats courtesy of Big League 😆

70 Minutes played , 32 Total Tackles , 0 missed tackles , 3 line breaks , 21 total hit ups/ runs , 213 metres gained 1 handling error , 0 offloads

• ForumSupporter

Wests Tigers BYE schedule this season means we will only be without our Origin Players for 1 Game…Ironically that is before Origin 1 against the Broncos

The weekends preceding Origin !! and !!! we have the BYE…If we can’t do without them for 1 game we are in strife…

• @Byron Bay Fan:

IF WT going fantastic get the stars to forego SOO - for the club, they are getting super bucks. Maybe we could arrange a TPA to cover their $60K loss of salary for SOO

yea if the club arranges a TPA then we’ll get the spoon. quite illegal by the nrl’s rules

most of the rich clubs simply dont have to pay overs to attract players because they have great facilities. the TPAs is a factor and they probably play a role in attracting talent but its seriously overblown

• Tedesco is no shoe in remember Daley is coach. He will probably play Dugan who at fullback. Farah is no certainty either and we have him covered. We need to unearth another prop to cover woods. Maybe due to starting propr halatau or ballin to 13. We lose a bit of size buy gain some motor.

• Banned

@Byron Bay Fan:

Do you understand the career aspirations of a sportsman? Playing at the top levels is what every player wants. It is unfair to expect them to forego personal goals so that their club side performs.

Good sides still make the finals even when they lose their best to rep.
    Think Broncs, Storm and Cows.
    History proves this as well with Raiders and Broncs in the 90’s as well as Saints and Roosters in the naughties. Point being, good clubs have contingencies in place to get them through. This year we may well be one of them.

• @Geo.:

Wests Tigers BYE schedule this season means we will only be without our Origin Players for 1 Game…Ironically that is before Origin 1 against the Broncos

The weekends preceding Origin !! and !!! we have the BYE…If we can’t do without them for 1 game we are in strife…

We got the Bye for Game 2 of Origin so that won’t affect us , meaning we have no game 4 Days before Origin 2 on the Wednesday Night.

Yeah we play the Broncos at Suncorp on Friday 27th of May,5 Days before Origin 1
    Players the Broncos could be missing due to Origin ? Darius Boyd , James Roberts , Josh McGuire , Matt Gillett , Corey Parker , Sam Thaiday and Maybes ? Anthony Milford , Ben Hunt

Game 3 of Origin we got the Bulldogs with the Bulldogs possibly missing :Josh Morris , Josh Reynolds , Josh Jackson , David Klemmer and Maybes ? Tony Williams and don’t 😆 Will Hopoate.

So all in all we are playing these sides at the right time if you ask me.

• @Byron Bay Fan:

Meanwhile back in the real world……!

• ForumSupporter

@foreveratiger:

@Geo.:

We got the Bye for Game 2 of Origin so that won’t affect us , meaning we have no game 4 Days before Origin 2 on the Wednesday Night.

Yeah we play the Broncos at Suncorp on Friday 27th of May,5 Days before Origin 1
    Players the Broncos could be missing due to Origin ? Darius Boyd , James Roberts , Josh McGuire , Matt Gillett , Corey Parker , Sam Thaiday and Maybes ? Anthony Milford , Ben Hunt

Game 3 of Origin we got the Bulldogs with the Bulldogs possibly missing :Josh Morris , Josh Reynolds , Josh Jackson , David Klemmer and Maybes ? Tony Williams and don’t 😆 Will Hopoate.

So all in all we are playing these sides at the right time if you ask me.

2 games then…In need to go to spec savers…when I looked I thought Warriors play the Dogs b4 Origin 111… 😮 😆 we have the BYE the week after…

Still you’re right…I don’t think those 2 games will adversely affect us that much given both sides will be Origin effected…just bring out 5 hit ups and a BOMB… 😉

• @Eddie:

We have got this mob covered….

Watching last nights game I thought gee we got more talent then these blokes. And both those sides are predicted around mid table by most experts. How many sides are there to fear in this competition? Brisbane and NQ are probably the only 2 to genuinely fear I reckon.

I know it’s very early however I am getting a very rare confident vibe about our side this year. People who know me well will say Im always talking things down. I have predicted us to be in the bottom 4 the last 3 years.

I hate to say it actually but it reminds me a bit of 2005 the start of this year. Not that I think we will end up winning the comp but that we have a a heap of young guns coming through at the same time with a few old veterans playing an up tempo style of football. No one at all rates us and that is when we usually produce a decent season.

The 2 games I have seen we ran in 5 and 6 tries very easily against the Sharks and Warriors. The Sharks and Warriors I think are Top 4 sides on paper. If your combinations are that good this early then there only going to get better really if injuries do not strike. You would like to think our defence has some improvement in it.

Now a couple of disclaimers. If Tedesco gets injured all bets are off, he is a superstar. The big concern I have is Origin. No Woods, Farah or TEDESCO would be huge. However Taylor and the staff have done a good job bringing in players capable of playing 1st grade at a decent level.

Our mob obviously has an ability to implode as we have seen the last 3 seasons. Of course we have to rememeber last season Newcastle won their 1st 4 and still finished last. The NRL is not a sprint it is a long slog and the grind kicks in after about 8 weeks.

Anyway, Ill call it now i reckon we will win 6 of our first 8 this year.

Hope youre right, but Id probably prefer we won 6 from our last 8 with another 7 or 8 throughout the year preceding that…I havent really looked at the draw bar the first three rounds, a lot of home games early I do know probably means more away at the back end.
    Possesion is my big concern, that and defense…Cronulla have a handy team so too the Warriors, but the sharks was a trial and the warriors maybe yet to gel…not sure weve been tested yet, though that 2nd 40 min last week showed momentum is hard to hold when its against you, as the first 40 showed its great when its with you…too early to call for mine, but the style of play we saw last week will win us games, as well as cost us games im sure…but its something to hopefully look forward to with some more positive anticipation I think most of us here had over summer

• I think we will beat the Gold Coast this week although it will be no picnic.

I expect us to drop 1 of the games against Parramatta and Cronulla before beating Newcastle in Round 6. Melbourne and Souths both tough games in ROunds 7 and 8.

We need to take advantage of being close to fully fit and having a number of home games in the first 8 rounds. I said 6 of our first 8 i will stick with that but it wont be easy.

• Glad to see we aren’t getting ahead ourselves and taking one game at a time

Recent Topics