Wests Tigers board back Taylor ..

• ForumSupporter

Wests Tigers board say they back coach Jason Taylor regardless of results on the field
    March 12, 2016 12:00am
    DailyTelegraph

WESTS Tigers chief Justin Pascoe has given the greatest indication yet that besieged coach Jason Taylor is safe from the NRL chopping block.

Ahead of tomorrow night’s clash with Manly at Leichardt Oval, Pascoe declared for the first time since taking over as CEO last year that Taylor had the full support of he and the entire Wests Tigers board.

Pascoe added that the club were committed to providing unprecedented support around Taylor and the football department with the 45-year-old set to remain at the helm of the joint-venture this season.

Pascoe’s backing comes following an off-season overtaken by controversy surrounding Taylor’s relationship with former captain Robbie Farah.

Slated ahead of the NRL opening round alongside New Zealand Warriors coach Andrew McFadden as one of the first coaches to be sacked this year, Taylor now appears safe given Pascoe’s comments and focus on providing long-awaited stability throughout the entire club.

“The whole club is operating with unity - that’s something that wasn’t happening previously,’’ Pascoe told The Sunday Telegraph.

“One of the major factors behind that is a very progressive and unified board and a new management operating with clarity.

“We now have a revamped football department and structure all aimed at offering more support to Jason to do his job than ever before.

“Every single person in this organisation including the coach has my and the boards full support and we are very diligently working towards winning back the trust of all our stakeholders.

“As a club, we recognise that happens through hard work and as a whole group we are striving together to achieve this.’’

Pascoe pointed towards the appointment of Mark O’Neill in the newly created role of General Manager of football, Tayor’s appointment of his own staff including assistant coach from Newcastle Craig Sandercock and the involvement of Shane McCrurry, a consultant and conduit to the players, as evidence of the club’s plan to cultivate success in the short and long-term.

“From the board all the way down to the receptionist, to all the playing group, there’s a far clearer direction,’’ Pascoe said.

“The playing group are a huge part of that, they have had input into that and have bought into our values and vision -including recognising how important community and fan engagement is.

Pascoe’s ‘unified’ strategy echoes the comments of Taylor, who after beating the New Zealand Warriors in round one said that he wasn’t “worried” about the ongoing speculation about his coaching future.

“Because I know that it doesn’t affect the people that are in charge of our club,’’ Taylor said.

“We keep making really strong decisions in that regard, Justin Pascoe and I have formed a really great relationship and now Mark O’Neill is going to come on board and I’m really looking forward to that.

“Those people allow me to just get on with coaching the team.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/tigers/wests-tigers-board-say-they-back-coach-jason-taylor-regardless-of-results-on-the-field/news-story/1d11e6efc7d51faf7b19af2a8a9f568d

• Lets hope we keep winning so they don’t backtrack on this statement.

• No reason why he should be on the chopping block, last season is behind us and this season starts fresh. Succeed you stay, fail you go.

• Banned

I think Taylor has improved a lot in the media so far this year plus I get the impression we are going to focus on our attack which means we should win more games. I’ll reserve my judgement though until the end of the season.

Is there though something more going on. Why do we keep hearing these stories.

• Taylors got a dream job , we couldn’t afford to pay him out , no matter what the results . Don’t forget were broke !

• @stevetiger:

Maybe Pascoe is just trying to emphasise a united front which is fine. But yeah like you said Steve, why do we continually hear these stories……they generally generate more questions and innuendo than answers and belief. It really should be the former though, touch wood we are going along OK and the off-field politics seems to have abated for now.

• @Fade To Black:

@stevetiger:

Maybe Pascoe is just trying to emphasise a united front which is fine. But yeah like you said Steve, why do we continually hear these stories……they generally generate more questions and innuendo than answers and belief. It really should be the former though, touch wood we are going along OK and the off-field politics seems to have abated for now.

Maybe your right FTB,Pascoe is trying to tell the fanbase that everything is OK with JT and they understand that he didn’t stuff up last year like some think….his platform of defensive structures could be the winning formula for season 2016…I certainly hope Pasco is confident that the club as a whole is going forward and this article is reassurance that everything is all good so far…

• Wouldnt be the first coach to get the sack after supposedly having the “full backing of the board”. He just needs to keep winning and then the focus will go toward the coaches of the losing sides.

• ForumSupporter

@hobbo2803:

Taylors got a dream job , we couldn’t afford to pay him out , no matter what the results . Don’t forget were broke !

No we are not broke…. paying out Coaches is just stupid can’t recall any Club in the last 10 years that has done this and been super successful instantly …

This article puts an end to the speculation he has 6-8 rounds or Taylor is gone as they would look pretty stupid by going on record as they have…

It is also very carefully worded in that Pascoe states Taylor is the coach for 2016 as I have believed all along he should be given the year to get results…Top 8 finish or he wont see 2017…

Probably wont stop the death riders hoping we fail so the Coach gets punted…

• Banned

@TrueTiger:

that everything is OK with JT and they understand that he didn’t stuff up last year like some think….his platform of defensive structures could be the winning formula for season 2016

I don’t get these comments. It can’t be any more clear how poorly Taylor performed last season from where I sit.

1. Last on the ladder - to be fair 2nd last with regards to for and against.
    2. The players have come out criticising that approach all over the place.
    3. Players and coaches have said they have focussed on attack a lot in the pre-season.

If we perform this year I think it’s clear proof that last year was a big mistake. Our squad has been widely tipped to get the spoon. If we do better than that I think it will be based a fair bit on having winning game plans.

I honestly think you guys should drop the talk about how JT got it right last year. It doesn’t help the guy out if that is what you are trying to do. People make mistakes. JT made mistakes. There is no reason to crucify him for it by sacking him now and there is a good reason to give him another chance.

• Give it a break mate, last year is over. In fact Taylorball which you drive the forum mad about finished with our game against the Cowboys early in 2015.

• No one hear is saying he got things right. They just disagree that it was all the coaches fault and that the players learning new structures and not performing contributed as well.

• This is 2016 Steve - we do not need to revisit last year as you so often do.

No one is saying JT got it right last year. For the 500th time - it was a teaching year for the youngsters and we had very few experienced players, it took awhile for it to sink in - when it did, by around 3/4 of the way through the season, JT loosened the restraints on the team. When you are young, have very little experience and find yourself in the NRL - there is only one place to learn - that is in the NRL. Not ideal, what do you do? Drop them and put even more inexperienced players in the team. So that is the way it all played out in 2015, we do not have to keep visiting the scenario that played out - we all remember.

This year is a different ball game - hopefully they gained more experience, new game plans can come into play because of that and a few new players will help us to improve on last years results.

Let us all just get behind the Tigers and JT and do our bit and hope they all do theirs.

Go, you Mighty Tigers!!!

• Banned

I don’t get the comments towards me. I don’t want to hear about Taylor Ball ever again. Go and re-read the comments above. It’s the same stuff (there are a bunch of better words) that you guys keep bringing up.

Maybe I shouldn’t respond but it gets tiresome reading the delusional rantings on last year’s performances over and over again.

• Banned

@larrycorowa:

No one hear is saying he got things right. They just disagree that it was all the coaches fault and that the players learning new structures and not performing contributed as well.

I think lots of posters are stating exactly this. Go and read the comments above. It’s plainly delusional.

I think I want to see if dropped more than most people.

Recent Topics