EDGE DEFENCE - NOFO & KEV

• From the first tackle these guys made against the Warriors I noticed a huge change in tackle technique and intensity… These guys now hit like Mac trucks, especially NOFO. Don’t know who spent time developing them in the offseason but they should be congratulated as it has made a huge difference to us in just 2 games.

• Kevin was one the quinces in our armour last year. Now his tackling has improved it will help the team go a long way.

• Sorry but I can’t agree regarding Nofo. A couple of his defensive efforts against Manly were deplorable. He came in when he should have stayed out and allowed his opposing winger to score in the first half then he grabbed feebly at Taupau in the second half allowing him to run 40 metres. He might be hitting hard occasionally but, overall, his defense is a weak spot in the team. No doubting his attack though.

• Yes I saw that too… Same as I saw about 5 or more other guys do same thing on Taupau a couple of times . The thing I noticed most was the aggression and drive in his tackles… Been watching him since NYC. And never seen that before

• Both views are correct. He put some great hits on, but his first up effort against Marty in the second half was a shocker.

• The Tafua Try wasn’t Kevin or Nofo’s fault. It was purely a numbers scenario where Manly outsmarted us. The damage was done from the PTB.

Definitely a poor attempt on Marty, and I’d hope Kidwell replayed in front of the whole squad to fire him up.

But overall, Kevin is sticking well & Dave has been hitting hard on a few occasions. Good Signs!

• The side as a whole is still far too inconsistent

Pulling off one great hit and then missing the next three with arm ,grabs , bad reads , lack of application and lack of concentration just don’t cut it at this level

We need to cut the opposition scores by about 6-8 points a game before we should even get remotely excited

• Kev is velcro, always manages to hold onto a piece of shoe strong or something.
    He is so quick off the mark which is great in general play, but that can be a double edge sword when rushing up close to the line.

• @happy tiger:

The side as a whole is still far too inconsistent

Pulling off one great hit and then missing the next three with arm ,grabs , bad reads , lack of application and lack of concentration just don’t cut it at this level

We need to cut the opposition scores by about 6-8 points a game before we should even get remotely excited

Wow, far to inconsistent, arm grabs, bad reads, lack of application and concentration!!

God help the other teams if we can get all the above right!!

• These 2 have been smashing blokes, but are not great decision makers in defence. Especially on the back foot.

Getting better though. Kevvie last year did my head in, does loads of good stuff, but gees his head exploded every 10 minutes or so, in both defense and attack.

Room for improvement.

• @magpiecol:

@happy tiger:

The side as a whole is still far too inconsistent

Wow, far to inconsistent, arm grabs, bad reads, lack of application and concentration!!

God help the other teams if we can get all the above right!!

Sure as hell hope that’s what the plan is Col

• That is the plan. I think nofo got excited when he pulled off the first big hit on taupau and then kept running off his wing looking to repeat and got made to look silly a few times.

Recent Topics