Development not recruitment key...

For The Knights.
West Tigers are the team they are trying to emulate.

http://www.nrl.com/development-not-recruitment-key-for-knights/tabid/10874/newsid/93852/default.aspx

Thu 17 Mar, 2016, 7:00am
Big League/Jack Brady, NRL.com

Knights assistant coach and club legend Danny Buderus believes developing the club’s young guns rather than undergoing a huge recruitment drive is the key to the long-term success of the Newcastle club.

The Knights have kicked off their season with two horror defeats to the Titans and Rabbitohs – for a combined scoreline of 78-16 – something Buderus doesn’t shy away from.

Drawing from the club’s successes in 1997 when they upset the Sea Eagles in the ARL grand final, Buderus said a rebuild in a similar light to the one done in the early-90s is crucial for the club moving forward.

“When the Knights won the title in 1997, many of those guys had been signed through the early ’90s. They became a brotherhood. The current Knights are rebuilding in the same way, there is no question,” Buderus says in the Round Three issue of Big League.

"The hardest part is in the interim. If the Knights can build well now, then the success in the long-term could be something special. You can see it starting to play out at Wests Tigers.

"For the clubs who don’t have financial clout, it’s their best bet to be competitive and then successful. The worst thing the Knights could do right now is to try and start again.

“If clubs try and buy new players, they very rarely stay on to build something. The Knights cannot afford to do that en masse. Patience and great coaching can lead the team out of a dark place, but impatience and constant change just puts you back.”

In just his second full season in the NRL coaching ranks Buderus opened up about the lessons he has learnt so far under the guidance of Nathan Brown.

“The best thing I’ve learnt from ‘Browny’ is that as a coach you don’t second guess yourself. You know what’s right and what needs to be done,” Buderus said.

"Nathan knows exactly where he’s going – he’s got a course and he isn’t straying from it. That fills everyone around him with confidence.

“Browny is leading the club and we’re all supporting him and just coaching what is in front of us. At the moment I’m just absorbing as much information and coaching advice as I can.”

Problem with developing players is keeping them as they start to show their potential.

If we could keep Tedesco, Brooks, Moses, Woods, Cherrington and Simona for the next 5 years we could have a period of success built on junior development. Problem is the rich clubs try to cherry pick the best talent as they are starting to show signs of becoming well above average NRL players.

The NRL don’t reward clubs enough that develop their own talent.

they did once.

it was called the 13 import rule which made clubs develop their own juniors.may have been the late 60’s?

i quite liked it- gave each team a genuine local flavour - but was ditched for some reason.

nothing better than a local junior doing well.gives credence to all local football clubs.

@eyewonder:

they did once.

it was called the 13 import rule which made clubs develop their own juniors.may have been the late 60’s?

i quite liked it- gave each team a genuine local flavour - but was ditched for some reason.

nothing better than a local junior doing well.gives credence to all local football clubs.

One of the main reasons it was got rid off is because teams like the roosters and manly complained that it wasnt fair (few juniors) and also players complained it was a restriction of trade (their earnings).I liked the 13 import rule but as always the rich clubs got their way

Development should have a reward in the salary cap. If not its a lot of hard work and effort and then to have them play against you?. Developing some one like Tedesco for example could see another club sign him up as a marquee player and they in turn get cap relief.

Its madness. I am all for developing but the system has to be reviewed.

@jadtiger:

@eyewonder:

they did once.

One of the main reasons it was got rid off is because teams like the roosters and manly complained that it wasnt fair (few juniors) and also players complained it was a restriction of trade (their earnings).I liked the 13 import rule but as always the rich clubs got their way

That is ironic. A team like Newtown was dismissed from first grade in 1983 because it did not have a huge number of juniors.

I was just thinking about this today and maybe posting it under a different topic. For the Tigers right now I think stability is the key. They have developed their spine the last few years, and although it’s still ongoing they are now showing us some very, very encouraging signs. We have some good experienced players around them and some very promising players coming through. The coach is now in his 2nd year and seems to now have a good understanding of the style of play that suits the team and the players have a better understanding of the structures and their roles. Does the club have to go out and buy several high profile players for next season to push on? I’m not so sure. Besides the players in the current 17 we have others like young guns Addo-Carr and Bayley Sironen already in the top squad as well as 4 or 5 other from the NYC who look very promising e.g. Liddle (Intrust Cup now), Kharwin, Tatola, Felise, Stone. A few of the Intrust Cup players are still young and could improve enough to play a part as well. Perhaps one or two players could be bought next year if other players on the fringe move on but there doesn’t seem to be a big need to change the current squad. The development processes seem to be the way to go especially for the Tigers who definitely look like they are on the improve and, perhaps, on their way to becoming a real force in the NRL. I hope so anyway.

@Newtown:

@jadtiger:

@eyewonder:

they did once.

That is ironic. A team like Newtown was dismissed from first grade in 1983 because it did not have a huge number of juniors.

That is true Newtown but the other problem the jets had was the fact they didnt have much money

@jadtiger:

@Newtown:

@jadtiger:

@eyewonder:

they did once.

That is true Newtown but the other problem the jets had was the fact they didnt have much money

True. Let’s hope Wests Tigers never fall into the same trap.

I also believe there should be some reward for developing your own juniors - maybe a maybe something like a 25% discount on your cap - i.e. if we pay Teddy 800K a season we get a discount on our cap whereby we only have to claim 600k. If the chooks want to buy him they would have to offer a lot more and have the whole amount against the cap.

@diedpretty:

I also believe there should be some reward for developing your own juniors - maybe a maybe something like a 25% discount on your cap - i.e. if we pay Teddy 800K a season we get a discount on our cap whereby we only have to claim 600k. If the chooks want to buy him they would have to offer a lot more and have the whole amount against the cap.

I have always thought this is a great idea to compensate Clubs for developing their juniors.
After a player has played two years first grade for their Senior club, then the Club should receive a 25% discount against their Cap.
It would reward Clubs for keeping their juniors and promote a culture where juniors want to stay and play for their senior club.
You could even have a situation where say after 5 years they receive a further 15% discount.

Everyone says how great it is to have superstar juniors coming through to First Grade, but how do you keep them?..…maybe this is one way.

didn’t the raiders ditch the developing juniors idea last year? Once they progressively kept losing all their talented juniors? Ferguson; Milf; Carney; Dugan etc

@tsjonathan:

didn’t the raiders ditch the developing juniors idea last year? Once they progressively kept losing all their talented juniors? Ferguson; Milf; Carney; Dugan etc

Aside from Milford, the reason the Raiders lost those other blokes is because they were deadbeats. Did Canberra sack any of those 3? Carney they did didn’t they?

Dugan is the only junior. Milford is a Queenslander and Ferguson and Carney are from regional NSW>

I was refering to coming through their junior development system. I.e. bringing them down, housing them, feeding them, training them, fostering them.

Harold Matts, Sg Ball, NYC, NSW Cup etc etc

Not the hospital in which they were born.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.