Wests Tigers could call Campbelltown home due to Balmain’s financial woes

Rugby League fans in the Macarthur region could have a team to call their own — finally.

With the prospect of the Wests Tigers licence reverting to Western Suburbs due to

the Balmain side of the joint venture being unable to repay its debt to the NRL, the door is open for the team to return to the Macarthur region on a more permanent basis on the field.

However there is no chance of the Wests Tigers joint venture going back to the Western Suburbs name, black and white colours or magpie mascot due to a heritage deed in the club’s constitution.

Wests Ashfield CEO Simon Cook said a decision about where the club played its games would be up to the re-formed board.

“It’s a decision for the Wests Tigers board,” he said.

“I wouldn’t want to speculate on that at this point.

“Campbelltown is and always will play a huge role for the Wests Tigers club.

“The whole south west of Sydney, including Campbelltown is extremely important to Wests Tigers.’’

Former Western Suburbs chairman Jim Marsden said an increase of games at Campbelltown should happen if the licence were to revert to the Western Suburbs.

“That’s the way it should be,” he said.

“My view is the more games played at Campbelltown the better, provided the games are within the limitations of Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

“For bigger games, and there will be bigger games as the team wins more, those games should be played at a bigger stadium.

“I’d even keep Leichhardt Oval in the mix for historical purposes, but it would only be for one game.”

While there is the possibility of an increased on-field presence in Campbelltown, Mr Cook was quick to pour water on the possibility of a return to the Magpies brand or black and white colours returning.

He said there were no circumstances under which the Wests Tigers brand would or could be changed.

“The club won’t revert to the magpies,” he said.

“There is a heritage deed in place protecting the club’s name and colours which doesn’t cease to exist regardless of who is in control of the club.

“The ability of the club to rebrand is not commercially viable.”

Mr Marsden said while it was sad to see Balmain struggling financially, he too wouldn’t want the club to abandon the Wests Tigers brand.

“If the licence reverts to Western Suburbs, so be it,” he said.

“If that occurs I would think the club would continue as is.

“Wests Tigers is a brand and a successful brand and it should remain in place whoever ends up with the licence.”

Under the NRL’s lending agreement, the thriving Wests Ashfield club would take full control of the joint venture if Balmain can’t raise the money by March 31 or sell their share within six months.

“Whatever happens, the Wests Tigers brand won’t change,” said Mr Cook.

“We’re having constructive conversations with Balmain and the NRL right now to try to find a solution.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/macarthur/wests-tigers-could-call-campbelltown-home-due-to-balmains-financial-woes/news-story/add950c727a0fbb8c1eb3a7cee60da5c

Nice to see Wests Ashfield being cool about this.

knew this was some telecrap trash as soon as i read the headline

Move all the games to Campbelltown and I give it 5 years before the whole thing goes broke. Will be the end of my support too.

@pHyR3:

Why is it trash? Long term it has to happen.

@Boonboon2:

Move all the games to Campbelltown and I give it 5 years before the whole thing goes broke. Will be the end of my support too.

That’s pretty fickle.

Not gonna happen, let’s move on.

I’m a fan of the 4x4x4 system currently in place. However, if Wests Ashfield do take control and they want to play more games at Campbeltown they have to make sure it is viable first.

At the very least there has to be six games in the inner-west. Maybe 6 at Campbeltown, 4 at ANZ and 2 at Leichardt.

To move all 12 games to Campbeltown is extremely disrespectful to half of the supporter base that resides in and around the inner-west.

To think that the supporters in the south-west are more important or entitled to more then those in the inner-west is deadset laughable and down right mind-blowing.

I don’t think it would be fair and I definitely don’t think it would be a well thought-out financial and commercial decision…

@GNR4LIFE:

@pHyR3:

our long term future is a ground where we pay tens of thousands of $s to play at and recorded a 10k average the last 3 years?

doesnt sound like a bright future

just a typical click bait story from the telegraph. most stories they put out (in general not just rugby league) are quite poor quality

@pHyR3:

@GNR4LIFE:

@pHyR3:

our long term future is a ground where we pay tens of thousands of $s to play at and recorded a 10k average the last 3 years?

doesnt sound like a bright future

Yeah, an area with a population of nearly 150 000 people. Not bright at all.

@Tony33:

I’m a fan of the 4x4x4 system currently in place. However, if Wests Ashfield do take control and they want to play more games at Campbeltown they have to make sure it is viable first.

At the very least there has to be six games in the inner-west. Maybe 6 at Campbeltown, 4 at ANZ and 2 at Leichardt.

To move all 12 games to Campbeltown is extremely disrespectful to half of the supporter base that resides in and around the inner-west.

To think that the supporters in the south-west are more important or entitled to more then those in the inner-west is deadset laughable and down right mind-blowing.

I don’t think it would be fair and I definitely don’t think it would be a well thought-out financial and commercial decision…

There was no mention of moving all 12 games there.

@GNR4LIFE:

@pHyR3:

Why does it have to happen ?

Wests starting to show their true colours. Love that there is no financial analysis involved in this, just emotion. Not respect for the JV that kept them in the comp. idiots.

Those who are saying its telegraph fluff, it’s not. Direct quotes from blokes who are now or have been in charge of the magpies

Might as well stop supporting the team now. We’re going down lads.

@hobbo2803:

@GNR4LIFE:

@pHyR3:

Why does it have to happen ?

Because the area is booming. Other teams know this and is why they’ve tried to move in on it.

@hammertime:

Wests starting to show their true colours. Love that there is no financial analysis involved in this, just emotion. Not respect for the JV that kept them in the comp. idiots.

Might as well stop supporting the team now. We’re going down lads.

No need for melodramatics.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.