Is fitness a part of the problem ?

• Most of our problems seem to come in the second part of the first hal , or in the second half of the game.
    And this has been a problem over a lot more than just this season.
    We seem to fade a lot sooner than most teams.
    Does it come back to fitness, or lack of it?
    It happens too often to be a coincidence.

• I think the teams overall fitness is good. The thing these days if one side doesn’t turn up switched on to play the 80, they’re likely to get what’s coming to them. I think Woodsy summed it up well, the Tigers got out of the blocks quickly but didn’t earn the right to throw the ball around from side to side. Throw in poor handling, it turns the tide of a game quickly.

• @willow:

I think the teams overall fitness is good. The thing these days if one side doesn’t turn up switched on to play the 80, they’re likely to get what’s coming to them. I think Woodsy summed it up well, the Tigers got out of the blocks quickly but didn’t earn the right to throw the ball around from side to side. Throw in poor handling, it turns the tide of a game quickly.

He’s the captain , Willow.
    Up to him to pull their heads in.

• Their are a quite a few inexperienced players in this team and when we hit the lead early in the second half they seem to get over excited and immediately begin to use up a lot of energy and adrenaline which they really should be conserving for the full duration of the match. Come the second half and they are shot.

• Their mental fitness is a bigger problem than their physical fitness

The minute we get tested and headed we fell apart and you could see it coming from a mile away

Even when we lead 10-0 after about 30 minutes I said to EB if we didn’t score next we’d lose

• I think there are a couple of things.
    1 Our bench players are not great. When they are on, the intensity drops off.
    2 They are playing a very up tempo game, and players are playing more minutes than they are capable of.
    3 The use of the interchange has not been great. Seem to have a plan re rotations, and do not change even when some players are showing signs of fatigue

• Noticed this from last year when Farah wasn"t playing they seem to loose their way just before and after halftime.
    Farah could make a difference with this.

• As soon as we get on the wrong side of the balance of possession we struggle with the effort and pressure of continually defending.

So we either need bigger motors, better defending techniques or cut down on errors/penalties.

If we cut down on the errors/penalties it will help us a great deal this year because the other factors are not so easy to turn around…

• @happy tiger:

Their mental fitness is a bigger problem than their physical fitness

The minute we get tested and headed we fell apart and you could see it coming from a mile away

Even when we lead 10-0 after about 30 minutes I said to EB if we didn’t score next we’d lose

Mentally we are still one of the softest teams in the comp- have been for many many years.
    I think quite a bit of it comes down to having such a young side, the immaturity that soaks up all the backslaps and positive press coverage comes out when we get a bit of a lead and wanna start playing touch and pushing kicks that are not on. We have seen how devastating we are with quick hands through the back line yet last night they all wanted to be Cronk-like and grubber/bomb to their hearts content. That is where the game was lost….not fitness.

• The second half fade out against the Titans was because:

1. A 5 day turnaround, with travel to hot and humid conditions, was always going to sap our energy levels particularly in the second half
    2. The game was played at an ungodly hour.

An 11:30pm finish is ridiculous for a replay let alone a live game. The NRL should pull its finger out and fix the scheduling. The game should have been played on the late sunday arvo time slot of 6:00pm (EDST).

• We’ve conceded 10 tries in 3 weeks between 30-60mins. Nowhere near good enough, especially for a club that is supposedly preaching defence.
    There’s a number of factors tbh - bench rotation, mentality, communication and so forth. It’s a concern.

• When we complete our sets we win. If we keep turning the ball over to the opposition, we have to work much harder and become fatigued. It’s not fitness, it’s just a matter of keeping possession because the team that dominates possession dominates the game. Solution: hold the ball and don’t give away cheap penalties. Simples.

• @cktiger:

@willow:

I think the teams overall fitness is good. The thing these days if one side doesn’t turn up switched on to play the 80, they’re likely to get what’s coming to them. I think Woodsy summed it up well, the Tigers got out of the blocks quickly but didn’t earn the right to throw the ball around from side to side. Throw in poor handling, it turns the tide of a game quickly.

He’s the captain , Willow.
    Up to him to pull their heads in.

Sack him! Make Farah captain! Tigers never get beaten with Farah as captain….

• @dimitri:

The second half fade out against the Titans was because:

1. A 5 day turnaround, with travel to hot and humid conditions, was always going to sap our energy levels particularly in the second half
    2. The game was played at an ungodly hour.

An 11:30pm finish is ridiculous for a replay let alone a live game. The NRL should pull its finger out and fix the scheduling. The game should have been played on the late sunday arvo time slot of 6:00pm (EDST).

You realise they pushed the game back as late as possible to try and ensure the game was as cool temperature for the players as possible? How does playing 2-3 hours earlier help playing in the heat…? An 8:30 kick off is about as late as possible

Recent Topics