NRL may be forced to move games to Allianz Stadium

• NRL may ask Sharks, Manly to move matches

By AAP
    3 hours ago

Cronulla and Manly could be forced to move games to Allianz Stadium for the NRL to receive their proposed venue upgrade package from the NSW Government.

ARL Commission chairman John Grant will meet with representatives from the clubs on Wednesday as the NRL look to meet a 65-game commitment at Sydney’s major stadiums to ensure a $1.6 billion upgrade package for Pirtek, ANZ and Allianz Stadium, according to Fairfax Media.

Given Parramatta, Canterbury, South Sydney and the Sydney Roosters all use the stadiums as their home grounds, 23 games will need to be shared between the Wests Tigers, St George Illawarra, Penrith, the Sharks and the Sea Eagles.

The Tigers and Dragons currently each play four games a year between the stadiums, however the NRL - who provide financial assistance to both clubs - may ask them to up that figure to eight in order to help secure the funding.

The NRL has until April 1 to achieve the 65-game commitment, and will then have until May 31 to decide how they want the funding split between Moore Park and ANZ Stadium.

Upgrades on Pirtek Stadium in Parramatta will begin this year.

©AAP2016

Read more at http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/03/23/08/13/nrl-may-ask-sharks-manly-to-move-matches#3EXt08MRThteMSDr.99

• Might as well relocate them interstate. Neither the Sharks nor Manly will survive for long playing outside their home areas. Manly definitely won’t, the Sharks might be a slight chance.

But this stadium strategy is not in the best interests of the NRL clubs. It’s just so ignorant to look at Melbourne and say let’s do that! It simply won’t work in Sydney as the geography is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than in Melbourne where you can throw a blanket over all the AFL teams they’re so close!

• stuff pirtek!

Upgrade Cambo and Leichhardt

• 8 Homebush/2 Campbelltown/2 Leichhardt

This looks like the future or at least the best outcome.

• Its not the game I used to know

• @innsaneink:

Its not the game I used to know

Its ok ink soon you wont remember the game and all will be new and exciting. 😆

• Don’t Sharks own their own ground? Why the hell should they be forced to play games elsewhere?

• @Masterton:

Don’t Sharks own their own ground? Why the hell should they be forced to play games elsewhere?

$$$$$$$

• Sharks will have to move anyway once the development is complete. I dare say new residents won’t put up with the noise, traffic. lights and Shark’s supporters for too long.

• Will be good look playing in an empty stadium. At least it will generate $$$$$$$

• @Pawsandclaws:

Sharks will have to move anyway once the development is complete. I dare say new residents won’t put up with the noise, traffic. lights and Shark’s supporters for too long.

I dare say that there would be covenants protecting the club from that.

• There is no use complaining the state government is the one pushing the agenda the NRL along with other sports have to agree on these issues before any stadiums are to be built.

• The NRL is hell bent on copying the AFL model in regards to stadium model. I hope it doesnt but i think it will fail in all honesty. Melbourne people get out to games more and the market is totally different here. They think crowd numbers are bad now they could be in for a rude shock when it does eventuate.

• @Yossarian:

8 Homebush/2 Campbelltown/2 Leichhardt

This looks like the future or at least the best outcome.

Only if we can get the crowd numbers to justify ANZ. 15% of seats occupied does not make for any kind of atmosphere, just an embarrassing sea of empty blue seats. 10-12,000 at Leichardt or Cambo is a great day at the footy, and a good way to play interstate teams whose fans don’t travel. Allianz was a good compromise because it’s a properly shaped football stadium with a sensible seating capacity, instead of rattling around in an 80,000 seat converted athletics track.

• Article in smh today about clubs holding NRL to ransom in regards to moving games away from traditional grounds.

Hope all the clubs milk this for what its worth to ensure they get the best deal possible.

Recent Topics