Bennett urges Gillett to take pay cut

• Bennett urges Gillett to take pay cut
    By AAP
    3 hours ago

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett claims the Broncos’ culture of success is incentive enough for Matt Gillett to reject offers reportedly worth $250,000 a year more from rival NRL clubs. A big pay day looms for Gillett should he opt to leave the Broncos - with some reports suggesting the likes of Gold Coast and the Sydney Roosters are lining up massive deals for the Queensland Origin star. But Bennett said a price could not be put on his club’s winning culture and hoped Gillett would remain a part of it, even if it meant a pay cut.

“If it was just playing for money it wouldn’t be an issue but it is much deeper than all that - you have to be happy where you are at,” Bennett said. "At the great clubs that’s what they have to do, they make sacrifices for success. "That’s been part of our psyche since day one. "You see a lot of guys who do that (chase the money) and their careers are gone. "You look at players and think ‘what’s happened to him’ - well, he made a bad choice. “The culture and environment is not right for him.”

The Roosters are believed to be circling Gillett while the Titans have plenty of salary cap space after the Daly Cherry-Evans backflip and loss of big names Nate Myles, Dave Taylor, James Roberts and Aidan Sezer in the past 12 months.
    ©AAP2016
    Read more at http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/03/24/05/24/keeping-gillett-a-challenge-for-brisbane#5QjGh5gAKkVH69Bo.99

• I posted last week that Gillett was going to be forced out of the bronco’s, we can dream I suppose.

• He’s on 450k at the Broncos , no way is he worth 700k IMO .
    Good player though !

• I wan’t to see Bennett take a pay cut!

• Bennett’s comments apply to Brookes and Moses also. Although there is a limit to loyalty, and $250k pa would be testing Gillett’s loyalty to the limit. Surely you have to get close to rival offers to expect to retain a player.

• We need this guy like someone whose had multiple heart attacks needs triple bypass. I’m assuming that TigerTorch’s info is on the mark, so imo the offer put to Klemmer would be much better suited to put to Gillett.

• Why didn’t Bennett take a pay cut when he left the Dragons to the Knights ?
    His got a cheek hasn’t he :brick:, advising players to take pay cuts while his been getting paid top money.
    Why don’t you top up his Salary from your pay Mr Bennett?

• @hobbo2803:

He’s on 450k at the Broncos , no way is he worth 700k IMO .
    Good player though !

That 450 k is cap money , what are the Thoroughbreds paying him ??

Under the new cap he is a 700 k player , just for his defence alone

• @GNR4LIFE:

I’m assuming that TigerTorch’s info is on the mark, so imo the offer put to Klemmer would be much better suited to put to Gillett.

Couldn’t agree more - exactly the type of signing we need, a much better fit than Klemmer.
    I imagine he’ll take less to stay at Brisbane, but we can dream.

• He will never leave QLD.

• He either stays with the Broncos or moves to the Titans. If clubs want to target any fringe Broncos, you should be targeting Arrow, Timu or Greinke.

• I personally don’t think he’s anything special.

• @sheer64:

He will never leave QLD.

That is a big statement especially considering his childhood dream was to play for the Dragons.

• 700k? Adam Blair looked like a player worth that in a storm jersey

• @sheer64:

He will never leave QLD.

They’re nothing but trouble

Recent Topics