Semi Radradra, Selection Dilemma

• LATEST NEWS:

Parramatta star Semi Radradra is threatening to walk out on the NRL and rugby league altogether in the wake of recent developments on his State of Origin eligibility.

News Corp journalist Paul Kent broke the news on NRL 360 that Radradra is considering joining rugby union overseas.

The news comes after Queensland and NSW heavies both hosed down suggestions the Origin eligibility laws will be changed to accommodate Radradra representing the Blues, and ultimately Australia.

Read more at http://www.zerotackle.com/radradra-threatening-to-leave-nrl-21198/#mMe6CxSmDGODMec4.99

THOUGHTS?

• Know your place, I reckon…

He’s a gun player (winger) but so was Israel Folau, Karmichael Hunt, etc etc.
    If he wants to make threats he can kick rocks.

He should be loyal and stick with Fiji, sure Origin is a big pay day but I for one, don’t wanna see this guy playing for NSW or Aus.

• @Demps:

Know your place, I reckon…

He should be loyal and stick with Fiji, sure Origin is a big pay day but I for one, don’t wanna see this guy playing for NSW or Aus.

The thing is though Folau, Hunt, Hayne etc were allowed to play for Aus which was probably wrong, doesn’t do our sport any good by having every blow-in demanding to play Origin and Test footy for Aus or NZ, make them play for the country they represent- even if it is a minnow.
    Sami is getting a bit ahead of himself- hopefully Brooks, Farah, Moses etc grubber in behind Semi and show him up, nothing worse than someone who thinks he is above the game.
    Seeya later Semi if you wanna go play sushi-ball, there have been plenty of better players than yourself that RL has lost……plenty more youngsters in the nursery

• No dilemma for mine, see ya later, go and try to play for Australia in yawnion if you really want to represent your new country.

• Semi 😆 on your bike.
    His a good finisher cause his like a forward on the wing but can’t defend.
    He would be gassed if he played in the forwards.

• I agree with his sentiments. He should make a stand and go before Monday.

• @Demps:

Know your place, I reckon…

I think we are getting a bit precious about who plays SOO and for Australia. No other sport here or overseas gets its knickers into such a knot about eligibility. Look at the England cricket team and the England and Australian Rugby teams for example.

I recall Tamou’s first test for Australia, which was played in NZ, the crowd sledged him and called him a traitor (he had migrated to Australia with his family when he was a boy). But oh the irony, for while we had Tamou playing for Australia, the Kiwi’s had around 8 Australian born players in their side. What a laugh.

• See ya Semi!!!

Players come and players go - the greatest game of all, lives on.

We don’t need you, F1 J1 does, if you have no loyalty - you have nothing.
    If you were as good as you think you are, that is one thing.

You are a winger for God’s sake.

• ForumSupporter

@Harvey:

I agree with his sentiments. He should make a stand and go before Monday.

Yes very much yes…If I was Arthur I would drop him from Monday’s game to teach him a lesson…that should wake him up …he can come back the following week…who they play again…

• the nerve of this guy tho….
    he was nobody a few years ago and none of us knew who he was.

Rugby League made him.
    He’s lived in Oz, for what… 4 years?

Wonder what the real intentions are here;
    the rep $$$ or is he really that patriotic and wants to play for his new home…

What a slap in the face to Fiji.
    Not impressed.

• Banned

He should be able to play for NSW. If he wants to leave league though it’s not a big deal.

• Problem is if you start relaxing Origin laws, you risk diluting some of what Origin stands for. If we have too many players with only tenuous links to a certain state, it takes away from the tribalism. It then impacts International Footy if everyone is only playing for AU or NZ.

Currently most players are 100% aligned to their state, and the handful that are originally from somewhere else, like Inglis and Tamou, are small exceptions that incite people even further.

The idea that Inglis runs around happily in maroon, when he was born and raised in NSW (and I assume supported NSW?) really annoys me. He only lived in Brisbane for 2 years, and only after Melbourne signed him and moved him there. Imagine if a third or half the players in a team were clearly from somewhere else?

That being said however, it is also difficult to deny someone like Radradra the ability to make more of himself in rugby league. Kiwi players get decent rep exposure, but Fijians get bugger all.

Radradra came to AU when he was 19 and is not eligible because he had not played here by the time he was 13. But Tuqiri and Uate were both 15 when they came here and ended up playing Origin.

Maybe we could make a rule that separates countries into tiers, and Tier 2 country players can play Origin but return to their own country of Origin for international matches. I don’t know if that ends up being fair, but I feel like I have less issue with players from minnow / emerging league countries playing Origin, than Poms and Kiwis who would pull on their own country colours several times per year.

Because it can hurt Pacific Island teams if their best players are either taken away to play for ANZ, or not allowed to rep except in those odd minnow rep games played at Penrith Stadium.

Maybe this is a litmus test for the existing rules.

• Understand what you are saying jirskyr and agree with most of your post - when I came to the following paragrah:

“Radradra came to AU when he was 19 and is not eligible because he had not played here by the time he was 13. But Tuqiri and Uate were both 15 when they came here and ended up playing Origin.”

I disagree with the emerging nations being allowed in. I think the criteria should be policed even more diligently in the future. I feel an error was made in the case of Tuqiri and Uate i.e. letting them play Origin. We do not need to make the same mistake again - should be closed for good.

State of Origin is NSW v QLD not some fly by night from Fiji or the Cook Islands that wants to make more money and that has no emotional connection. This is a tribal affair, which is very important and a very big part of its popularity. The tribal element has almost been eliminated from the NRL competition and one of the reasons, among many that it has falling attendances. We do not need to lose this aspect of State of Origin.

It is bad enough that a SOO game is played in Victoria. I am so racked off with that as it is - what the hell has Victoria got to do with NSW and QLD? Use some other concept to promote Rugby League in Victoria - how about taking the All Stars game down there, most people up here don’t care about it anyway. Waste of space imo.

So I say keep SOO for the legitimate players and keep it tribal before we water it down and are left with a shell of a former great concept.

• As I always say, for every ‘1’ supposed superstar in our game, there are ‘100’ desperate young players that would love to have a crack at the top grade, no questions asked.

Each time a ‘legend’ retires, we find five more after they are gone.

No one is indispensable.

Seeya Sammy.

• Oh…no

Let him go if thats the issue, NSW vs QLD…he will be restricting young guys that actually want to play for the passion they have for their state as opposed to the money he is commanding.

Recent Topics