Moses happy with start...

• ForumSupporter

Wests Tigers star Mitchell Moses happy with start to NRL season after 2015 woes
    Date March 25, 2016 - 1:41PM

Michael Carayannis
    Rugby League Writer

Mitchell Moses was filthy with the way he played last year but the Wests Tigers five-eighth’s desire to touch the ball more has led to a strong start this season.

Moses played in all of the Tigers’ 24 games last season in his first full season of first grade. The inconsistency left Moses with a little bit of doubt about where he felt his game was. He played down suggestions the club tried to offload him last year, instead he believed people misconstrued his grumpiness over his performance as anger towards the club.

“I wasn’t happy with the way I played last year,” Moses said. “I wasn’t happy with the way I was playing. It was probably taken a bit out of context with people saying I wasn’t happy at the club. It was me. I wasn’t happy with the way I was playing.”

Moses has cast aside any doubt he may have had surrounding his performances with a blistering start to the year. He dominated in the opening two games, taking advantage of the team’s new attacking structure.

Coach Jason Taylor has empowered Moses and halves partner Luke Brooks. “I am happy with the way I’ve started,” Moses said. “Compared to last year I was trying to do too much with the ball. Because I was having limited touches I was trying to a bit too much. This year I’m getting my hands on the ball as much as I can and I’m playing a bit calmer. I’m looking to change my game at the moment and play conservative footy and play set for set and not to overplay my hand.”

After losing their first game of the year against the Titans last week, the Tigers are preparing for an in-form Parramatta Eels side on Monday.

While the Tigers welcome back hooker Robbie Farah, Moses said his attention was firmly on opposite Corey Norman, with the pair playing on the same side of the field. “He has been the in-form No.6,” Moses said. “As a six you want to come up against the best in the game. He is really composed. Kieran Foran is running the team around and Corey is playing off the back of that. His running game has opened up. He is doing a lot of kicking as well.”

Meanwhile, Moses said he was still unclear about where his long-term future will be. He and Brooks have options in their favour to remain at the Tigers for at least one more season. The duo have until June to decide.

“My management is doing that,” Moses said. "I’m just looking to play good footy. “Money is not an issue. I don’t know what’s getting floated around. I have no idea about money, how long or where I’m going to be. I just want to play good footy for the Tigers.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/wests-tigers/wests-tigers-star-mitchell-moses-happy-with-start-to-nrl-season-after-2015-woes-20160324-gnqi5r#ixzz43tECzhoU
    Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

• “My management is doing that,” Moses said. "I’m just looking to play good footy. “Money is not an issue. I don’t know what’s getting floated around. I have no idea about money, how long or where I’m going to be. I just want to play good footy for the Tigers.”

Believe that and you believe in flying pigs….

• @tigerap:

“My management is doing that,” Moses said. "I’m just looking to play good footy. “Money is not an issue. I don’t know what’s getting floated around. I have no idea about money, how long or where I’m going to be. I just want to play good footy for the Tigers.”

Doesn’t matter

Every single person would go for bigger money, whether you are a footy player, a tradie or a doctor, you will take an opportunity to maximise your earnings.

Footy is not an occupation that will take you out to your 50’s, in the 15 years Moses will play first grade, he is likely to earn a MAXIMUM of 10 million if he hits top form. Divide 10 million by say for instance another 50 years, he is left with 200k a year which would be enough to live on.

• Banned

@Milky:

@tigerap:

Doesn’t matter

Every single person would go for bigger money, whether you are a footy player, a tradie or a doctor, you will take an opportunity to maximise your earnings.

Footy is not an occupation that will take you out to your 50’s, in the 15 years Moses will play first grade, he is likely to earn a MAXIMUM of 10 million if he hits top form. Divide 10 million by say for instance another 50 years, he is left with 200k a year which would be enough to live on.

I don’t believe this. Not everyone tries to get the maximum money out of every situation. I don’t want to leave my job because the money is decent and I get a lot of flexibility. It doesn’t just come down to money.

• Is not like players can’t make a living after they retire either. He’ll end up playing where he believes he’ll have the most success.

• All the top teams already have good halves (Broncos, Melb, Cowboys, Bulldogs, Parra, Penrith, Souths) I can see Moses staying at the Tigers. He will get good money with us . He won’t move to Newcastle or somewhere for a little bit more.

• Btw, wasn’t the NRL meant to be meeting with Parra yesterday. Does anyone know the outcome of that?
    I’ve heard a lot of their players are not happy as their promised TPAs haven’t come through

• If Moses and Brooks do leave then the club should ditch spending money on producing juniors. We have let some gooduns go because of this pair and not just halves. Put the money in the bank and bid on the open player market in future.

Someone said that the big clubs had good halves already. Well I’ve got news for you - that won’t stop them bidding for them. Bulldogs let their SOO half go for someone they thought had better mileage. Look at Sharks, the number of halves in their squad, some playing out if position.

We get the carrot dangled about just giving Brooks and Moses time to develop. I hope I don’t get to see them tear us apart at another club. I just hope that our club management are proud to be paying $1M a year on player nearing the end of his career when some of it could keep our future.

• Banned

I think we need to be a little careful here. Brooks and Moses haven’t proven themselves yet. Moses to me looks more consistent but Brooks had one great game and then a terrible game. We shouldn’t be paying top dollar for inconsistent performances.

Look at what has happened with Robbie and Lawrence.

• @tigerap:

why not? if i was a player i wouldnt be getting involved with negotiations.

i’d play good footy and pay my manager to sort out negotiations/contracts etc. Once all that’s over you have a chat to him and ask what are the potential offers and tell him what your preferences are then he can renogotiate

benji said similar things a few weeks ago about his contract situation and many players have said the same in the past

• @pHyR3:

@tigerap:

i’d play good footy and pay my manager to sort out negotiations/contracts etc. Once all that’s over you have a chat to him and ask what are the potential offers and tell him what your preferences are then he can renogotiate

benji said similar things a few weeks ago about his contract situation and many players have said the same in the past

If I was a player I’d do it myself. Managers are not needed by most average players. I know All Blacks who have neg there own contracts and private sponsors. Most ave players at this level don’t need managers, they only take part of there money. Not that much work to neg for the most part, ie if WT offers 600K and manager get it up to 650k, but the manager takes 10%, the player all ready loses(down 65K). Only if you are financially illiterate do you need one… or get yourself a good lawyer would be cheaper.

• 😆

@Milky:

@tigerap:

Doesn’t matter

Financials by milky seem so simple. 😠

• Banned

They often are when explained by the ignorant.
    When I was young money was important. Now not so much. Job enjoyment and career progression mean more.

Power trumps money.

• @stryker:

They often are when explained by the ignorant.
    When I was young money was important. Now not so much. Job enjoyment and career progression mean more.

Power trumps money.

Yeah well clearly I didn’t say money was everything did i?

• @kiwitiger:

@pHyR3:

@tigerap:

If I was a player I’d do it myself. Managers are not needed by most average players. I know All Blacks who have neg there own contracts and private sponsors. Most ave players at this level don’t need managers, they only take part of there money. Not that much work to neg for the most part, ie if WT offers 600K and manager get it up to 650k, but the manager takes 10%, the player all ready loses(down 65K). Only if you are financially illiterate do you need one… or get yourself a good lawyer would be cheaper.

yeah fair enough i’d do it myself too, thats not really the point.

most players elect not to and get a manager to sort it out

Recent Topics