HOPOATE / RELIGION

• Canterbury Bulldogs star Will Hopoate will not play or train on Sundays because of his staunch devotion to his Mormon faith.

Hopoate will sit out three straight Sunday games in rounds 10, 11 and 12 against the Wests Tigers, Roosters and Canberra Raiders and is unsure whether he will play in the grand final if the Bulldogs go through to the decider.
    The NSW State of Origin star has the full backing of coach Des Hasler and his teammates, whom he informed of his decision at a team meeting at Belmore this week.

Read more at http://www.zerotackle.com/hopoate-will-not-play-rugby-league-on-sundays-21224/#BsRickPgbPIRZ82Z.99

• Well, that can only benefit us - because he is a dangerous player when he wants to be.

However, what a joke.
    Hazem & Sonny played through Ramadam but who am I to judge, lol…
    Seems a bit soft tho.

• I wonder what his teammates think of it?
    Especially not turning up to Sunday training sessions.

• @Demps:

Well, that can only benefit us - because he is a dangerous player when he wants to be.

However, what a joke.
    Seems a bit soft tho.

it is different circumstances

Ramadan - can’t eat or drink, can go ahead with normal day to day routine
    Mormon - not allowed to work on Sundays, not allowed to encourage working, for instance you can’t go shopping because you are allowing other people to work. I am not sure what the reason behind this is but i would assume that Sunday is the day dedicated to the lord.

Big difference and it would have been in Hopoates contract that he is not to play Sundays, this was one of the major reasons Parra reneged on their offer.

• Banned

If I may digress, in chess some devout Jewish players interpret their religion that they cannot play or work on the Sabbath of Saturday. And as there is prize money in chess tourneys that is considered as work. So they get around it by having an assistant write down the moves (as is required under chess laws) and then presumably it is only a game or something like that. I always thought a distraction to the opposing player’s concentration so not fair. With a bit of innovation and Christian lawyers surely they can find a loophole. But strictly speaking he should decide if he is a professional player or not.

• @Milky:

@Demps:

Well, that can only benefit us - because he is a dangerous player when he wants to be.

However, what a joke.
    Seems a bit soft tho.

Mormon - not allowed to work on Sundays, not allowed to encourage working, for instance you can’t go shopping because you are allowing other people to work. I am not sure what the reason behind this is but i would assume that Sunday is the day dedicated to the lord.

Big difference and it would have been in Hopoates contract that he is not to play Sundays, this was one of the major reasons Parra reneged on their offer.

x2

• lol, can’t play Sunday football.
    Grand final is on Sunday……

Be a devout Mormon
    or
    Be a superstar high paid Athlete,
    pick one.

This seems a bit funny to me but then again, so does spending $80 a week on ciggarettes - but hey, I’m not a smoker.

Lost for words.

• @Milky:

@Demps:

However, what a joke.
    Seems a bit soft tho.

Can’t eat or drink……
    Play an 80 minute high intensity competetive sport.
    … dedication.

Can’t work on a Sunday…
    I know football is his “job” but… maybe he plays it for fun to?

Don’t remeber seeing Inu, Izzy, etc - pulling this stunt?

• Michael Jones the ex All Black great never played Sundays either

Personally you have to respect someone who puts their religion before their love of a game /career

• @Demps:

@Milky:

@Demps:

However, what a joke.
    Seems a bit soft tho.

Can’t eat or drink……
    Play an 80 minute high intensity competetive sport.
    … dedication.

Can’t work on a Sunday…
    I know football is his “job” but… maybe he plays it for fun to?

Don’t remeber seeing Inu, Izzy, etc - pulling this stunt?

He might be playing it for fun, but him playing is encouraging other players to play who are in it for the money, it is also encouraging the people in the food stands, the people in the ticket boxes to work etc.

It is a part of his religion and it should be respected.

Do i agree with it? No i don’t, but it is what it is.

• Thank Christ he doesn’t play for WT then.

What an insane situation.

I’m gonna tell my boss that my religion excludes me from working Sunday through Saturday……

• Good luck to him , I don’t work Sunday’s either .

Sunday’s are for drinking 😃

• @hobbo2803:

Good luck to him , I don’t work Sunday’s either .

Sunday’s are for drinking 😃

Amen to that brother! 😉

• @Fade To Black:

Thank Christ he doesn’t play for WT then.

What an insane situation.

I’m gonna tell my boss that my religion excludes me from working Sunday through Saturday……

You’re fired !

• He seems a sincere young man. Personally I think it’s ridiculous but I’m not going to criticise or denigrate his religious beliefs. I certainly don’t think his stance is the easy option to take.

Recent Topics