Wests Tigers vow to put own financial interests at top of list

• <big>Wests Tigers vow to put own financial interests at top of list</big>

The Australian
    March 29, 2016 12:00AM

One of the most important weeks in Wests Tigers’ history has begun with chair Marina Go insisting the club must prioritise its own financial sustainability over the game’s desire to find a compromise on the future of Sydney stadiums.

Go stepped into the chair role with the club at its lowest ebb but the Tigers now find themselves negotiating from a position of strength given the influence they wield over the potential allocation of government funding towards Sydney’s major venues.

The joint venture is among four clubs whose future scheduling of home games could prove the difference between the state government devoting the lion’s share of its $1.6 billion stadium funding to ANZ Stadium, or instead directing it towards a new ground adjacent to Allianz Stadium.

The NRL has until Friday to lock in 65 games necessary to ensure the funding is forthcoming — the same day a 50 per cent share in the Tigers is expected to hit the open market.

The Tigers currently play four games apiece at Leichhardt Oval, Campbelltown Stadium and ANZ Stadium but it is believed the NRL would like the club to commit at least eight games to one of the city’s major grounds as part of the new agreement.

Go declined to reveal the Tigers’ plans, other than to say any decision would be centred around the ramifications for the club’s long-term future.

“We are going to make a decision that is based on the future financial sustainability of this organisation,” Go said. “That has to be a priority. It has been the board’s priority since day one. Some of our stakeholders know there is going to be some pain along the way.

“As a board we’re not afraid of that. We have made some bold decisions and will continue to do so.

“We’re trying to assess the full picture. That doesn’t mean we can’t make an in-principle decision around stadia. But clearly we need to make sure there is some financial gain for us in doing so.

“We’re not going to put our club in a position where we’re worse off because of a whole-of-game decision.”

Go confirmed the club had spoken to the NRL about helping fund a Centre of Excellence as part of the negotiations.

The Tigers lag behind some of the NRL’s superpowers in terms of spending on their football department — the gap is believed to be as much as $10 million between the biggest and smallest spenders.

“Clearly the conditions of our centre of excellence are not up to the standards we would like for a sporting organisation,” Go said.

“When you talk about equality of clubs … you also need to think about facilities. This is a real priority for us at the moment. We certainly had a conversation with them around how they might help us. Clearly it is a big consideration for us. We have always said we wouldn’t make a decision around our stadia strategy until we were very, very clear about the right path forward for the Wests Tigers.

“We will make a decision that’s in the best interests of the Wests Tigers because that’s what we have to do. Of course we want to be part of a decision that grows the entire sport and is great for the sport.

“The NRL with good reason is anxious about missing out on this potentially great deal with the state government. But as clubs we have to do what is right for our club and our members.

“Hopefully the two will coincide.”

Go also rejected suggestions the club would fall into line with the game’s governing body because the Balmain side of the joint venture had been propped up by the NRL. That $5m debt is due to be paid by close of business on Thursday, meaning 50 per cent of the Tigers is likely to hit the market come Friday morning unless Balmain can find the funds.

“They don’t own our club,” Go said of the NRL. “They certainly can’t tell us what to do and we’re certainly not going to do what they want purely because they have given one of our shareholders a lifeline.

“Let’s not forget the loan is with Balmain. That is independent to the decisions we make around the Wests Tigers. I don’t view the NRL as one of our shareholders in the current situation because that is a loan to Balmain.

“From our point of view, we will not fall into line with anybody. We will make decisions around what is best for Wests Tigers.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/wests-tigers-vow-to-put-own-financial-interests-at-top-of-list/news-story/64571cdfc4b0ff456bbe5e282472d69c

• Looks to me like 8-2-2 = ANZ -Cambo -LO from next year

• Or could be ANZ 8 - Ctown 4.

• @innsaneink:

Looks to me like 8-2-2 = ANZ -Cambo -LO from next year

I would think the more likely scenario is 8-3-1 = ANZ/Allianz - Campbelltown - Leichhardt.

Plenty of times when asked Go has left doubts about Leichhardt’s future, however never the same when asked about Campbelltown. In my mind they’ve been angling for a move away from Leichhardt and will use the ‘financial stress’ as the excuse. Then again, that’s just my reading of it.

• Or ANZ - 10 Camp -1 Leichardt - 1

Or ANZ - 8 Leichardt - 4

• doubt theyd risk alienating a big portion of the inner west supporter base.

8-2-2 makes sense to me, its not like leichardt/campbo have been pulling amazing crowds the last 3 years compared to ANZ

• Banned

If they have to move so be it. They should be focussed on becoming the best club that they can become.

• I absolutely hate ANZ i know it makes business sense to play there but from a spectators point of view i find your to far from the play and always looking at the big screen,give me purpose built grounds like LO or CS any day where you watch the footy not the big screen all day.

• @Chevy:

I absolutely hate ANZ i know it makes business sense to play there but from a spectators point of view i find your to far from the play and always looking at the big screen,give me purpose built grounds like LO or CS any day where you watch the footy not the big screen all day.

Yep….its only good for the big games…Oh well I dont go much any more anyway, will miss the old grounds tho

• ANZ would work better if more daytime games were played there .
    Along with mainly Sydney teams playing .
    More double headers need to be played there as well IMO .
    But as we know it’s all about money these days , but 100K per game is hard to turn down !

Remember the good old days when every game was played at the same time ?
    The ground announcer would come over the PA speakers and give us the halftime / fulltime scores from other games ….the crowd would either cheer or boo .

I’m getting old lol

• I really wish we would use the new parramatta stadium as our homeground. Play the majority of games there and then one or two at each of campbelltown and leichardt. The plan is for all these stadiums to be controlled by the same trust so I would hope the deals would be similar.

• We have to go to ANZ its a no brainer. Out of 12 home games play 9 at ANZ.
    You will draw much larger crowds for the Dogs, Souths, STGI, Parra, Penrith (5 games). This would be reciprocal for most of these teams. We should move the Warriors game to NZ (Wellington for the cash).
    Schedule a game against Canberra at Campbeltown and Manly at Leichhardt.

Very simple equation its a money game and we are way behind the pack with shrewd decision making.
    I sit in row 9 on the 50m mark in the members area its great, no lines for beer and food and easy parking.

I love the old wounds anreven go to the back to belmore games but thats all it is now nostalgia.

• When the product is rare, the demand and price for it is high
    When the product is plentiful, demand and price drops
    I doubt we’d get the same payday we currently enjoy if we take more games to ANZ, but we have no choice, despite Gos tough talk

• @innsaneink:

When the product is rare, the demand and price for it is high
    I doubt we’d get the same payday we currently enjoy if we take more games to ANZ, but we have no choice, despite Gos tough talk

Agree. At least with the stadium plans we should be able to dictate most Sydney teams play each other twice a year. Fans can go to the same stadium and see more games with members reciprocal rights.
    The only negative is atmosphere and its a pretty big drawback.

• @innsaneink:

When the product is rare, the demand and price for it is high

Especially when it sounds like the NRL are being railroaded by the government in order to secure the funding.

Recent Topics