Membership

• I know the push is on for NRL clubs to increase membership numbers and it’s very pleasing to see we are heading towards achieving 12,000 members for the first time. I think we are currently 11th for total members and there are two clubs just ahead of us, that we can probably overtake with a win this weekend. A pretty solid performance after a tumultuous offseason.

Increasing member numbers and positive comparisons to other clubs is a great barometer for how the club is performing and engaging with fans BUT does it really make that big a difference to our (and other clubs) bottom line? How much more “profitable” is a member to a club versus a regular fan? Is a regular fan who attends games more profitable because he/she hasn’t received discounts?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for memberships but most people become members, at least partly, due to the benefits received (eg, that could be discounted ticket pricing or the supporter gear or access to member days, etc). My point is all these things have a cost, so becoming a member is not like a donation to the club.

I’m sure members must be worth more to clubs than ordinary fans or clubs wouldn’t go to the trouble. And every bit helps! If the economics are each membership is equivalent to an extra $30; than that’s an extra $350k to run our club at our current membership number. And in the case of Souths that would be $1M (with their 30,000 members).

There will be people that read this a say “my membership cost $184”; the point is you would have paid most of this anyway as an ordinary fan.

• @Patts:

I know the push is on for NRL clubs to increase membership numbers and it’s very pleasing to see we are heading towards achieving 12,000 members for the first time. I think we are currently 11th for total members and there are two clubs just ahead of us, that we can probably overtake with a win this weekend. A pretty solid performance after a tumultuous offseason.

Increasing member numbers and positive comparisons to other clubs is a great barometer for how the club is performing and engaging with fans BUT does it really make that big a difference to our (and other clubs) bottom line? How much more “profitable” is a member to a club versus a regular fan? Is a regular fan who attends games more profitable because he/she hasn’t received discounts?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for memberships but most people become members, at least partly, due to the benefits received (eg, that could be discounted ticket pricing or the supporter gear or access to member days, etc). My point is all these things have a cost, so becoming a member is not like a donation to the club.

I’m sure members must be worth more to clubs than ordinary fans or clubs wouldn’t go to the trouble. And every bit helps! If the economics are each membership is equivalent to an extra $30; than that’s an extra $350k to run our club at our current membership number. And in the case of Souths that would be $1M (with their 30,000 members).

There will be people that read this a say “my membership cost $184”; the point is you would have paid most of this anyway as an ordinary fan.

I have 3 gold memberships and this is my 6th straight year of being a season ticket member… The initial driver back in 2010 was to get to see some games during the regular season and as a member have first dribs at semi finals tickets… Haven’t had much luck getting these over the 6 years, but have no regrets and can’t ever see myself forgoing renewing every year…

• Last year I paid for games that I didnt bother going to, (first time Ive done that) probably where they make some profit

My main reasoning was having ticketed access to games already, convenience

The goods are cheap mass produced crap from asian sweatshops, wouldnt cost much

• I would love the NRL to do some studies on different issues

Finding out how far the average fan lives away from there club

Finding away to reduce prices on particular merchandise (particularly jerseys) Maybe bring it something that if you buy a jersey every season from your club you get a reduced $$ price for every season you continue doing it

Looking into being able to use memberships deals at different clubs ( meaning if a game isn’t a sell out , I can use my membership at a Titans game ,Cowboys game , Broncos game and vice versa for Brisbane fans that live at Campbelltown to use their memberships at CSS or LO ) I’ve spoken about this a lot and think with so many fans so far from their roots in the modern day that they could increase memberships by at least 100 000 a year by doing this

Think alone how many Qlders live in NSW and NSWmen/women live in Qld

Bringing more games to regional areas , having each team have to take one game to both regional NSW and Qld , changing their regional area every season

The fans are the ones keeping the game alive , let’s reward them for doing so and try and create more fans/members along the way

Recent Topics