2017 and beyond what are the recruitment & retention plans?

Mark O’Neill is now on board as the director of football, but I would be keen to know what are the plans moving forward. I am lost as to how we can still have limited room to move under the cap for next year when the only players confirmed to be here are: Ballin (manly contributing), Edwards (Canberra contributing?), Farah, Grant (souths contributing), Heleta, Lovett, Naiquama, Nofoaluma, Rankin, Seumanufagai, Simona, Sironen, Tedesco and Woods.
There are 20+ players off contract, and to be honest a lot of them would be considered fringe players but would like to see the tigers moving to lock up those that they want to keep. Sue & Aloiai should be a priority. I would also lock in Littlejohn at a reasonable price as a back up plan should one of Broses go.
Surely this gives enough flexibility to make plays for marquee players, and look at locking in players that we want to keep to longer term deals.

Retaining the players we want to retain and let go of the players we don’t as a start…continue to develop local juniors

Looking at what is available of quality in position’s we need strengthening…Prop, back row and centre…

Cap wise we have room in 2017 and a complete clean slate for 2018…

@Geo.:

Retaining the players we want to retain and let go of the players we don’t as a start…continue to develop local juniors

Looking at what is available of quality in position’s we need strengthening…Prop, back row and centre…

GEO,would we have enough space to buy a quality,Prop,Backrow and Centre.in 2017 …Im not sure how much each would be worth,at a guess between 200/300 per player…

Well a lot is going to rest on what happens with Moses and Brooks mid season

We might have enough money to buy an entire side in 2017 , but then again we might have to

Finally get rid of Farah !

@TrueTiger:

@Geo.:

GEO,would we have enough space to buy a quality,Prop,Backrow and Centre.in 2017 …Im not sure how much each would be worth,at a guess between 200/300 per player…

You reckon Geo is Mark O’Neill TT 😆 , you might aswell ask me that question 😉 😆 .

I can’t disclose anything , Geo is in the know 😉

Unfortunately we can’t make a lot of decisions until we know how much cap will be available, which we won’t know until Brooks and Moses advise whether they’re exercising their options for next year.

There’s not a lot of quality props coming onto the market for next year. Tamou and Klemmer are going to be way too expensive for us to justify given how much we have locked up in Woods. I think we should just shift Sue back to prop and focus on retaining Woods, Grant, Ava and Sue. That’s a solid prop rotation that will continue to improve with experience. We’ve then got quite a bit of talent coming through at prop for depth so I don’t think we need to enter the market there.
Prop stratgey: Focus on retaining.

There is very little available at centre and we are pretty poor in terms of depth there. Kev and Simona are fine as first string choices but next is probably Chee Kam who could do a job there and after that probably Heleta (although Milone would no doubt get picked ahead of him). Maybe someone like Brenko Lee for depth? Or raid the Titans who have some depth at centre with Nene Macdonald, John Olive, Nathan Davis, Josh Hoffman and now Dan Sarginson?
Centre strategy: Primary focus on retaining but invest in some quality depth.

Our second row remains our biggest weakness but fortunately there is quite a bit of quality coming onto the market for next year. Of those:
Matt Gillett - Great player but will cost far too much to unseat from Brisbane. Pass.
Josh Jackson - Will be going at a premium because of his origin experience. I think he’ll be overpriced for what he is personally, so pass.
Ethan Lowe - 107kg, 194cm and 25 years old with a good fend and a great offload. He has started the season on fire. I think there will be a lot of demand for him and he’ll be chasing coin. He only signed a 1 year extension with the Cowboys last year because he backed himself to improve (and he has). I think we should throw our hat in the ring with a solid offer. I see him developing into a marquee player over the next few years. Chase hard.
Robbie Rochow - There was a lot of talk coming into this season that he would really step up at Newcastle and be a leader of their forward pack. He’s been a disappointment but there are still a number of clubs chasing him. I don’t think he’d be value, so again a pass.
Tariq Sims - Spends far too much time suspended and has too many rookie errors in his game for a 26 year old who should be in his prime. Pass.
Sia Soliola - Was fantastic for the Raiders in both attack and defence last year. Can play 80 minutes and hits like a truck. Canberra are going to be feeling a squeeze on their cap next year given the signing of Junior Paulo plus the recent signings of Sezer and Whitehead, so we should be able to prise him off them with a solid offer. Chase hard.
Tony Williams - Has started playing well in a contract year. We are not the sort of club that can afford to take gambles on players like Tony Williams (see the Titans and Dave Taylor). Pass.
Elijah Taylor - An 80 minute tackle machine that would really help strengthen our defence in the middle and take some of the tackling load off the hooker. He also has some ball-playing skill in attack, although it has not been evident behind a Penrith pack that has lacked go forward in recent years. Penrith won’t be offering him much given they’ve invested elsewhere so he should be affordable, although I suspect we would have to compete with Cronulla who will also be in the market for second rowers given Gallen and Lewis are about 1,000 years old.
Second row strategy: Make a big play on the market for Elijah Taylor and one of Ethan Lowe or Sia Soliola. Try to retain Lawrence at a reduced price.

^^^ nice post Nelson & I agree with pretty much all of that.

If we’re going to move Sue to prop then I wouldn’t mind seeing how Edwards goes at lock. We’ve also got some quality young props coming up so maybe keep Sue/Edwards in lock rotation & have a young kid join the 4-man prop rotation.

With the 2nd row again I’d like to see MCK & even Griffin given a go. I think Lawrence is doing a good job & Siro/Lovett are more effective coming off the bench as part of a 2nd row rotation. Some more depth here couldn’t hurt.

With Hunt/Addo-Carr solid options on the wing I think our main issue is depth at centre. If Tim or Kev are out we really have no tried & tested replacements.

2nd row & centre should definitely be our priorities if we go to the open market. No idea who to target tho.

@greatodensraven:

^^^ nice post Nelson & I agree with pretty much all of that.

If we’re going to move Sue to prop then I wouldn’t mind seeing how Edwards goes at lock. We’ve also got some quality young props coming up so maybe keep Sue/Edwards in lock rotation & have a young kid join the 4-man prop rotation.

With the 2nd row again I’d like to see MCK & even Griffin given a go. I think Lawrence is doing a good job & Siro/Lovett are more effective coming off the bench as part of a 2nd row rotation. Some more depth here couldn’t hurt.

With Hunt/Addo-Carr solid options on the wing I think our main issue is depth at centre. If Tim or Kev are out we really have no tried & tested replacements.

2nd row & centre should definitely be our priorities if we go to the open market. No idea who to target tho.

Nelson mentioned Taylor and Lowe, 2 great options, Lowe especially, I would make him number 1 priority.
I would look to easts, souths and manly, they all have a log jam of centres, I mean Dylan Walker is a centre playing 6, souths have Goodwin, Hunt, Auva’a and my pick SKD who is stuck on the wing even with Copley injured

Scary thing is even if we had $$, there is really not a lot of proven talent available. I would look at Ethan Lowe and Elijah Taylor. In the backs Breko Lee, Kane Linnett, Justin O’Neill or Josh Mansour would be worth a go. Blake Leary would be another maybe. SKD a big no thanks. His defensive reads are terrible for such an experienced player.

@Nelson:

Unfortunately we can’t make a lot of decisions until we know how much cap will be available, which we won’t know until Brooks and Moses advise whether they’re exercising their options for next year.

There’s not a lot of quality props coming onto the market for next year. Tamou and Klemmer are going to be way too expensive for us to justify given how much we have locked up in Woods. I think we should just shift Sue back to prop and focus on retaining Woods, Grant, Ava and Sue. That’s a solid prop rotation that will continue to improve with experience. We’ve then got quite a bit of talent coming through at prop for depth so I don’t think we need to enter the market there.

There is very little available at centre and we are pretty poor in terms of depth there. Kev and Simona are fine as first string choices but next is probably Chee Kam who could do a job there and after that probably Heleta (although Milone would no doubt get picked ahead of him). Maybe someone like Brenko Lee for depth? Or raid the Titans who have some depth at centre with Nene Macdonald, John Olive, Nathan Davis, Josh Hoffman and now Dan Sarginson?

Our second row remains our biggest weakness but fortunately there is quite a bit of quality coming onto the market for next year. Of those:
Matt Gillett - Great player but will cost far too much to unseat from Brisbane. Pass.
Josh Jackson - Will be going at a premium because of his origin experience. I think he’ll be overpriced for what he is personally, so pass.
Ethan Lowe - 107kg, 194cm and 25 years old with a good fend and a great offload. He has started the season on fire. I think there will be a lot of demand for him and he’ll be chasing coin. He only signed a 1 year extension with the Cowboys last year because he backed himself to improve (and he has). I think we should throw our hat in the ring with a solid offer. I see him developing into a marquee player over the next few years. Chase hard.
Robbie Rochow - There was a lot of talk coming into this season that he would really step up at Newcastle and be a leader of their forward pack. He’s been a disappointment but there are still a number of clubs chasing him. I don’t think he’d be value, so again a pass.
Tariq Sims - Spends far too much time suspended and has too many rookie errors in his game for a 26 year old who should be in his prime. Pass.
Sia Soliola - Was fantastic for the Raiders in both attack and defence last year. Can play 80 minutes and hits like a truck. Canberra are going to be feeling a squeeze on their cap next year given the signing of Junior Paulo plus the recent signings of Sezer and Whitehead, so we should be able to prise him off them with a solid offer. Chase hard.
Tony Williams - Has started playing well in a contract year. We are not the sort of club that can afford to take gambles on players like Tony Williams (see the Titans and Dave Taylor). Pass.
Elijah Taylor - An 80 minute tackle machine that would really help strengthen our defence in the middle and take some of the tackling load off the hooker. He also has some ball-playing skill in attack, although it has not been evident behind a Penrith pack that has lacked go forward in recent years. Penrith won’t be offering him much given they’ve invested elsewhere so he should be affordable, although I suspect we would have to compete with Cronulla who will also be in the market for second rowers given Gallen and Lewis are about 1,000 years old.
Second row strategy: Make a big play on the market for Elijah Taylor and one of Ethan Lowe or Sia Soliola. Try to retain Lawrence at a reduced price.

good post. i thought Lawrence had approached the WT’s himself with his own contact proposal (reduced annual salary, with a two year extension). If so, WT’s should jump at it.
I’d be looking at trying to sign Chris Grevsmuhl.
Sue staying at 13 with Sirro on the bench.
if Chris Grevsmuhl is set in with Souths then, Lowe or E Taylor… for mine.

@Tigerdon:

@Nelson:

good post. i thought Lawrence had approached the WT’s himself with his own contact proposal (reduced annual salary, with a two year extension). If so, WT’s should jump at it.

Grevsmuhl has signed with the Panthers starting in 2017.

@swag tiger:

@Tigerdon:

@Nelson:

Grevsmuhl has signed with the Panthers starting in 2017.

I also don’t think Ethan Lowe will be going anywhere either.

Signings all depend on who we retain. Currently we only have 14 players signed for next year
Tedesco
Rankin
Simona
Naquiama
Nofoaluma
Edwards
Sironen
Lovett
Woods
Farah
Grant
Seumanufagai
Ballin
Watson Helata

So our first focus should be who we re-sign because depending on who stays and who goes (if anyone) then we decide who we buy.

The first 3 decisions that we need sorted are Moses, Brooks and Farah (who even though re-signed might not stay). Once those 3 are done then look at whether we keep Sue, Lawrence and then our bench and reserve grade line ups.

However I personally think that if you are looking at our current squad and where we need to add I would say we need to look at improving our bench because I think our top 13 is good when fit and I like Ava on the bench but our back row depth (although I am a fan of both Masters and Sironen Jnr Jnr) and prop depth (with hopefully 1 of the 2 Under 20s props stepping up) is a weakness at the moment.

I would be happy going into next year if we re-signed our off contract players and then looked at adding a back rower and a prop.

Outside backs I am happy with our starting line up and was never a fan of spending much on outside back depth as young wingers should be able to fill the gap and I’m happy with Peni and Helata in the centres as our back ups

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.