Nobody in Top 10, Simona is #17

Ineffective tackles
    Nobody in Top 10, Brooks is #11

Penalties
    #3 Lovett
    #4 Woods

Missed tackles
    #3 Moses, nobody else in Top 20

• We just don’t have enough winning mentality or culture. We never have and we seem to crumble when the games are up for grabs or we get to a lead. They tried really hard out there, but they shot themsevles in the foot.

We needed leadership at times in that game and we didn’t get it.

The Sharks baited us and we fell hook, line and sinker.Not enough discipline and some brain dead not kicking on the last tackle. Too many penalties late in the tackle count. The performance had plenty of promise but ultimately we dug our own grave.

Taylor needs to start digging blokes out. The last thing we need is a Sheens scenario when players were going through the motions because they were undroppable.

• ForumSupporter

Maybe cause stats don’t win football games…See it’s funny Brooks is 4th in TRY assists in the NRL from only 4 games…yet read the threads…

Oh except the scoreboard one’s…

• So Woods dominates the metres, Tedesco dominates the attack, we have plenty of tries, try assists, tackle breaks, line breaks and line break assists in us.

Our spine is all over the Top 10 attack stats however you look at it.

The obvious negative is high-ranking on penalties and Moses with missed tackles.

I wonder why then we are in such a bad patch? Did we have 2 awesome weeks that set up on the leaderboard, but lately it’s been lean pickings?

Or does this belie the fact that we have only a few strike options, but in general our team is fairly average? Does this say that even though we don’t appear particularly bad in the negative stats, actually our team shares the mistakes and bad decisions around?

I was just a bit shocked to see so many of our guys up there for things like line breaks and try assists. I was actually interested in seeing how often Tedesco appeared, but lo and behold there are plenty of our guys in there.

They don’t have stats for critical / costly errors, timing of bad decisions, tries scored without being touched (i.e. technically no tackle was missed), 5th tackle penalties, defensive misreads.

• Because other teams score more points than us.

A team full of individually brilliant players who lack discipline and cannot gel.

• Banned

@jirskyr:

They don’t have stats for critical / costly errors, timing of bad decisions, tries scored without being touched (i.e. technically no tackle was missed), 5th tackle penalties, defensive misreads.

I think this is the issue. I also think some of this comes down to us gassing and poor use of the interchange bench. We seem to run hard and get on top with brilliance from a bunch of players lead by Tedesco but that poor patch we go through kills us.

• Banned

@Cultured Bogan:

Because other teams score more points than us.

A team full of individually brilliant players who lack discipline and cannot gel.

I think that this is something that should be considered. I think we have the players to win games. We can turn this around.

• We’ve had 5 second halves this season that have seen us concede plenty of points and fail to maintain the enthusiasm in attack or defence that they show in the first half of games.

Scoring 26 points in a game should be more than enough to win. The 26 points scored tonight is more than three teams (Souths, Broncos, Storm) scored in games they won this round.

• Is there a stat for repeat sets? The bombs from 40m are looking for luck in that their fullback drops the ball, we are too far out to apply pressure and our chase has been ordinary with people finding gaps via missed tackles or offloads. Better off kicking low and flat for touchline or the corner and building pressure.

• @Harvey:

Is there a stat for repeat sets? The bombs from 40m are looking for luck in that their fullback drops the ball, we are too far out to apply pressure and our chase has been ordinary with people finding gaps via missed tackles or offloads. Better off kicking low and flat for touchline or the corner and building pressure.

I actually think we executed the bombs pretty well today in the first half. Made them work it out from their own 5-10m line a few times due to good chases.

You’re right about the repeat sets though, we don’t get nearly enough balls into the in goal, let alone with good chases to threaten points or a dropout.

• Defensive lapses and giving away silly penalties at times.

We’ve been competitive at least, but knowing we could have won the 3 last games, doesn’t sit well.

Harvey hit one point with the repeat sets, we certainly don’t build pressure and at times are trying to score off every set.

• Banned

@Geo.:

Maybe cause stats don’t win football games…See it’s funny Brooks is 4th in TRY assists in the NRL from only 4 games…yet read the threads…

Oh except the scoreboard one’s…

Glad u said it instead of me all the time. I reckon its going on 5 years i have been screaming on here that stats when nothing.

• We are not playing with enough control for long enough. We are beating ourselves atm.

• We need fresh ideas, a fresh approach and the voice of reason and experience. Our season is on the brink and likely to get a whole lot worse if decisive action isn’t taken.

• @Pawsandclaws:

We need fresh ideas, a fresh approach and the voice of reason and experience. Our season is on the brink and likely to get a whole lot worse if decisive action isn’t taken.

Where are all these fresh ideas going to come from though? That is the problem. We have the skill to beat any team in the comp yet our mental approach to tactics,discipline and commitment is under 10’s standard. Not gonna be easy rectifying that in a hurry.

Recent Topics