Voluntary Tackles

Voluntary tackle rule:
Section 11 subsection 4. A player in possession shall not deliberately and unnecessarily allow himself to be tackled by voluntarily falling to the ground when not held by an opponent. If a player drops on a loose ball he shall not remain on the ground waiting to be tackled if he has time to regain his feet and continue play.

Can anyone please explain to me how this is NEVER enforced.

@bigsiro:

Voluntary tackle rule:
Section 11 subsection 4. A player in possession shall not deliberately and unnecessarily allow himself to be tackled by voluntarily falling to the ground when not held by an opponent. If a player drops on a loose ball he shall not remain on the ground waiting to be tackled if he has time to regain his feet and continue play.

Can anyone please explain to me how this is NEVER enforced.

Do you mean against us or everyone else?

The other question is - by Badger against us or when he refs other games?

I’ve seen heaps of these this year. None penalised. Even the commentators were banging on about a few weeks ago. Rules for some not for all unfortunately.

I found out about voluntary tackles the hard way in my first season of juniors, never heard of them before. Last tackle of the game and we were winning. I heard the siren and just ran at the defence then just dropped on the ground before I hit them thinking the ref would call it. No one touched me and then they got a penalty. Had no idea what I had done wrong until my coach hooked me going ballistic. Luckily the boys held them off and we won, but I copped a mouthful from the coach. I was an anti-voluntary tackle advocate since.

That was Ben Barba laying down then reaching out to grab hold of Kevvys leg

Tony Archer please explain if the refs got that one right…
We all know that was penalty but you will say right call was made to defend your mostly incompetent band of refs

I saw about 100 voluntary tackles by Knights players last weekend. None of them were hit hard enough to go down!!!. Voluntary tackle is the only way to explain it.

Certainly wasnt because we were tough.

I think in a loose ball situation you should be allowed to dive on it, and if the defence wants to hover over you without touching, the refs should dismiss it as milking. That seems to be pretty much what’s happening.

However if a lazy forward wants to go down early, the call of Surrender should be license for the defence to all pile in, with a blind eye turned to the third man coming in late. They’ll get the idea.

@Love the WestsTigers:

That was Ben Barba laying down then reaching out to grab hold of Kevvys leg

Yep that one was one of the worst. What has rugby league come to if this is not outlawed.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme