Stadium redevelopment stuff

• http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/04/14/new_era_for_nrl_fans.html

NRL fans will secure the best stadium facilities in the game’s history under the $1.6 billion package approved by the NSW Government today.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the investment in rectangular facilities at Sydney Olympic Park, Parramatta and Moore Park was a landmark result for Rugby League in NSW.

It means there will be three world class Rugby League stadia in Sydney – two in Sydney’s western suburbs and one in Sydney’s traditional sporting hub at Moore Park.

Under the package, announced by the Premier, Mr Baird:

• A new 30,000 seat stadium will be built at Parramatta with construction to begin at the end of the current NRL season

• ANZ will be transformed into a 70,000 seat rectangular stadium putting fans close to the action. Construction will begin as soon as possible.

• Allianz Stadium will be upgraded to give fans better facilities

Mr Greenberg said the deal would also deliver $40 million for new centres of excellence for NRL clubs in NSW. The funds will be distributed on a “dollar for dollar” basis to clubs wanting to build Centres of Excellence.

“This is an historic day for Rugby League… one which will give our fans the comfort and facilities they deserve,” Mr Greenberg said.

“Our aim was to ensure that Rugby League benefited from any allocation of stadium funding – and this package delivers that outcome.”

Mr Greenberg said that, as part of the agreement, the NRL had committed to staging the Grand Final in Sydney for a further 20 year period, starting when the ANZ transformation is completed.

He said the new agreement meant that all existing arrangements within the network will continue with an expectation of additional games over time.

The centres of excellence could be of particular interest to WT fans. Watch this space I guess.

I assume we’ll be playing 90% of our games at the new ANZ Stadium once it’s done, with maybe one game each at Leichhardt and Campbelltown.

• We should be playing 90% of our games out of ANZ now to maximise our earning potential.
    I was always against playing at ANZ until it was pointed out to me that the club gets $100k for each game we play there yet we run at a loss to play at Campbelltown or Leichardt…. Seems like dumb business to me.
    I’m hoping the Wests Tigers are smart enough to throw their hat in the ring in regards to building a centre of excellence though

• @tigermac88:

I’m hoping the Wests Tigers are smart enough to throw their hat in the ring in regards to building a centre of excellence though

It’d gone very quiet on this matter, so hopefully we were pushing for some sort of deal during the negotiations.
    Getting our training centre sorted is of huge importance.
    Didn’t Mayer originally promise it’d be announced by the end of last year (along with top four in 2015 etc)?

• @ricksen:

@tigermac88:

It’d gone very quiet on this matter, so hopefully we were pushing for some sort of deal during the negotiations.
    Didn’t Mayer originally promise it’d be announced by the end of last year (along with top four in 2015 etc)?

Probably best off not trusting or believing anything Mayer ever said.
    As for the stadiums I guess it makes the club’s decision about where to play in the future easier.

• @Sabre:

@ricksen:

@tigermac88:

Probably best off not trusting or believing anything Mayer ever said.

This article is a bit of a laugh looking back at it.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/new-wests-tigers-boss-grant-mayer-has-ambitious-plans-for-the-club/story-fni3gpz1-1226686420909

It’s all part of Mayer’s grand plan - top eight next season, top four in 2015 and the big one the year after that.

“I think we’re on the cusp of that,” Mayer responded when asked about the finals in 2014.

"Our fans need to be patient.

"I’m sure our coaching department would love to see top eight, but when you’ve got young men running around against bigger, older bodies, sometimes it’s a challenge.

"I’m trying to be as realistic as possible about that.

"I think to come out and make a bold statement that we’re going to win the competition in 2014 is the wrong step to make.

“I think we start to turn things around well and truly in 2015 and beyond. A grand final is not beyond us in 2016.”

• I wonder where we will play whilst ANZ is being renovated?
    4/4/4 with Leichhardt/Campbelltown/SFS (or Parramatta)?

• I’d rather play all games at 35k parra stadium. Its time we became a real football club.

• @gallagher:

I’d rather play all games at 35k parra stadium. Its time we became a real football club.

Why Parramatta? Ok Sydney’s biggest stadium is ANZ, so it’s appropriate that big matches between Sydney clubs are played there. It’s neutral. Parramatta stadium is the Eels home ground. I don’t see any benefit playing somewhere so clearly associated with another club. We’d just become the number 2 team from Parramatta.

• @gallagher:

I’d rather play all games at 35k parra stadium. Its time we became a real football club.

Do you live in Parramatta mate ??

Just the thought of playing our games at Parra makes me want to VOMIT !

• I like Parra stadium. Wish we played there more. Haven’t played there since 2012.

• @Cosimo_Zaretti:

@gallagher:

Why Parramatta? Ok Sydney’s biggest stadium is ANZ, so it’s appropriate that big matches between Sydney clubs are played there. It’s neutral. Parramatta stadium is the Eels home ground. I don’t see any benefit playing somewhere so clearly associated with another club. We’d just become the number 2 team from Parramatta.

Brand new 35k stadium in a centrall position. I can’t see why we wouldn’t want to play there. Homebush is the other option but 70k is a big stadium for normal games.

• @hobbo2803:

@gallagher:

Do you live in Parramatta mate ??

Just the thought of playing our games at Parra makes me want to VOMIT !

Grew up in Granville but now live in perth. I just think we need to move on from LO and CSS. Market ourselves as a Sydney club rather than a suburban club. The dogs worked this out 20 years ago, souths have worked it out aswell.

• Banned

@tigermac88:

We should be playing 90% of our games out of ANZ now to maximise our earning potential.
    I was always against playing at ANZ until it was pointed out to me that the club gets $100k for each game we play there yet we run at a loss to play at Campbelltown or Leichardt…. Seems like dumb business to me.

I thought I read the figure for playing at ANZ was $35K or was that for another stadium?

• wow anz looks amazing!

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/the-stadium/anz-stadium-redevelopment/

rectangular, has modes for 20k, 35k and 75k as well as great LED lighting to create a home atmosphere and along with a different seating pattern make it not so obvious theres empty seats. not to mention this thing has a bloody ROOF! i reckon we can average 25k+ at this new stadium

can’t wait for this, hope we play 8-10 games there once its done

• @pHyR3:

wow anz looks amazing!

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/the-stadium/anz-stadium-redevelopment/

rectangular, has modes for 20k, 35k and 75k as well as great LED lighting to create a home atmosphere and along with a different seating pattern make it not so obvious theres empty seats. not to mention this thing has a bloody ROOF! i reckon we can average 25k+ at this new stadium

can’t wait for this, hope we play 8-10 games there once its done

I didn’t realise it had different configurations for smaller crowds. I’m sold.
    All games except maybe one at LO one year and one at CSS alternate years.

Recent Topics