The cowboys cannot stop our attack

It’s simple, the cowboys defence will not be able to stop our flamboyant attack once we get quality field position.

Their past defensive records against us have showed that, and I don’t see why that would dramatically change come saturday. We need Benji in full swing showing his brilliance to everyone, Moltzen putting blokes through holes as he so successfully does and and our fowards taking big, hard hit-ups at the weak cowboys defence.

If we can find some way to camp ourselves deep into their territory and have a good 4-5 consecutive sets in their halve I have no doubt that will eventually translate into a couple of tries.

I’ve always felt with the Tigers that if their attack is on song, that usually converts to our defence be equally as effective. If we can hold them out in the first half and take the lead, that’ll be a massive confidence boost.

Although, I’m getting sick of these bloody comebacks we seem to conjure out everyweek, I won’t mind if we find ourselves 10-12 points behind because I know we’ve the points and second-half momentum in us to win

thoughts?

This game is the real Acid test for both the Tigers and the Cowboys… We went up there early last year…(after coming from behind to beat the Raiders the week before funnily enough). We all had high hopes and great expectations leading into the game, only to be thoroughly beaten 42-14.

What has changed since then? No more John Morris. No more Corey Payne. No more Rhys Hanbury & No more Dean Collis. TNT is out but luckily we have the worlds best replacement for him in Lortay. Moltzen is now a halfback and Ryan is now a Fullback. We are certainly a much more settled side than this time last season.

The dream situation is that we go up there… smash the Cowboys…and prove to everyone that the Tigers are the real deal this year. However this is easier said than done. Tim Sheens has got to get them fired up. He has to say the right things and make the kind of decisions that gets Footy teams winning week in week out.

I think what we do in defence in going to be vital. I think our attack can take care of itself from what has been seen already this year. Its the defence that worries me. In the games we have played this year we seem to let the oposition get on a roll after they score their first try. The 20 mins before halftime v Manly, the 20 mins before halftime v Roosters, the back to back trys by the Eels to get the score to 15-12 and most of the first half v Raiders. We probably aren’t going to keep the Cowboys scoreless in Townsville (Hope I am wrong) but if and when they score we need to aim up in defence immediately and then give the momentum to our attacking game. If the offloads and the silly give away penalties start then it could be a tough game to win. The Tigers are more than capable of scoring points there but holding them out as well could be the key to success on Saturday.

I agree good solid defence wins matches.
don’t give opposition any type of lead.
there will come a time in a game this season, that will not be able to catch up.
do not take cowboys lightly, as we have seen from previous encounters they have ability to run up a big score against you.

Dont underestimate the Cowboys forward pack. Scott, Payne, Kafusi, O’Donnell and Bolton are very good defenders. Out of these 5, only 2 will back away from being bashed so we are in for 1 tough game up there…

Line speed is something new to the Tigers but it will need to be a priority on Saturday. Jonathan Thurston, Willie Tonga, Shannon Gallant and Ray Thompson will only need a few meters to spark thier attack and make us look silly, so coming up out of the line one out, will also be dangerous.

Tigers should win by 4…

@Tiger Watto:

Dont underestimate the Cowboys forward pack. Scott, Payne, Kafusi, O’Donnell and Bolton are very good defenders. Out of these 5, only 2 will back away from being bashed so we are in for 1 tough game up there…

Line speed is something new to the Tigers but it will need to be a priority on Saturday. Jonathan Thurston, Willie Tonga, Shannon Gallant and Ray Thompson will only need a few meters to spark thier attack and make us look silly, so coming up out of the line one out, will also be dangerous.

Tigers should win by 4…

buddy, I totally agree with the second paragraph you’ve written.

But to the Cowboys pack ‘very good defenders’ is a little over the top.

I’m just going to go through the points we’ve totalled up against them since 2005 (please note the one on the right is the cowboys and this is recorded since the 2005 finals series):

50 6 (sydney)
30 16 (sydney)
12 32 (NQ)
24 14 (sydney)
24 25 (NQ)
54 10 (sydney)
30 10 (NQ)
40 16 (sydney)
14 42 (NQ)
34 14 (sydney)

we can see from this that when played in sydney, the cowboys can’t score points and at the same token can’t defend either. the cowboys have won 3 of the past 4 meetings at NQ, however we were in front the whole game in the 2007 encounter up there and only thanks to a Matty Bowen try and field goal sealed a great comeback win

with some of these defensive efforts in sydney, I wouldn’t be calling the cowboys fowards a ‘very good defensively’

can we stop their attack in townsville in unorthodox conditions? thats my question

2007 The year of “The Moodie”

@AmericanHistoryX:

can we stop their attack in townsville in unorthodox conditions? thats my question

Exactly… especially if we defend like we did for the first 40 against the Raiders. I hope the team doesn’t lose confidence without Galloway in the team, he is a big blow.

LOL….please remind us smeg, all I can recall it was one - or a couple - of almighty blunder.

I have vague recollections of that game as many drowning of sorrows was done.

I do remember a flick pass gone wrong and a Bowen length of the field try. There was more than one though

@NJLM78:

I think what we do in defence in going to be vital. I think our attack can take care of itself from what has been seen already this year. Its the defence that worries me. In the games we have played this year we seem to let the oposition get on a roll after they score their first try. The 20 mins before halftime v Manly, the 20 mins before halftime v Roosters, the back to back trys by the Eels to get the score to 15-12 and most of the first half v Raiders. We probably aren’t going to keep the Cowboys scoreless in Townsville (Hope I am wrong) but if and when they score we need to aim up in defence immediately and then give the momentum to our attacking game. If the offloads and the silly give away penalties start then it could be a tough game to win. The Tigers are more than capable of scoring points there but holding them out as well could be the key to success on Saturday.

I agree with that.
This year so far after we let the first try in to the other team,
we have made it worse everytime by giving away the silly penalty or just going to sleep.
We need to fix this soon!
All it takes is a bit of composure and discipline!

“Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.”

@smeghead:

I have vague recollections of that game as many drowning of sorrows was done.

I do remember a flick pass gone wrong and a Bowen length of the field try. There was more than one though

No, it was Ash Graham who ran the length of the field off that flick pass wasn’t it?

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme