Henry braced for Tigers' reshuffle

<big>Henry braced for Tigers’ reshuffle</big>
By Wayne Heming AAP Fri, 09 Apr 2010 15:06:37

North Queensland coach Neil Henry is prepared for a backline reshuffle from Wests Tigers that could see Lote Tuqiri switch to fullback for Saturday’s NRL showdown at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

Fitness concerns over centre Blake Ayshford (knee) has led to speculation Tim Sheens could make late changes, including switching dual international Tuqiri from wing to fullback in his fifth game since returning from rugby union.

Ayshford trained with the team on Thursday, but Geoff Daniela flew with the side to Townsville on Friday as a possible back-up.

Tuqiri has scored four tries from as many games, following his eight-year-stint in the 15-man game, even putting himself quickly back in the State of Origin picture.

“We’re not really sure what they’ll do,” said Henry when asked on Friday about the Tigers’ possible line-up.

“If Tuqiri was to go to fullback, I think he’d handle it,” said the former Queensland Origin assistant coach.

"He’s good under the high ball anyway and it would give him room to move with his carries, instead of being hemmed in on the sideline.

"It would probably make him more dangerous.

“They could use utility (Daniel) Fitzhenry in the centres to try to do a job on Willie Tonga.”

The Tigers, who denied the Cowboys a grand final victory in 2005, head to Townsville with their confidence sky-high after coming back from 22-10 down to beat Canberra 35-22 last Sunday.

However, they will be without prop Keith Galloway, who has a shoulder injury, and will be replaced by Junior Moors. And Henry believes the absence of Galloway is a big blow to the visitors.

“He (Galloway) and (Bryce) Gibbs have been in very good form up front so that’s a big loss,” said Henry.

While Henry said the Cowboys would have to be on guard against a red-hot Benji Marshall, Tim Sheens’ men will have to adopt the same defensive tactics to control a rampant Johnathan Thurston who has been in sizzling form.

“What Benji does is get across the (defensive) line and build numbers on you so you have to put a bit of pressure on him,” Henry said.

"We can’t be chasing him all over the park and we need to manage people around him so our right edge defence in particular will have to aim up again.

"He and Farah are fairly lethal, they like to play down the short side.

"There’s no doubt we need to contain him

“But JT is in good form as well and I’ve got no doubt Tim Sheens has done some homework on him as well.”

Henry said while those two players would have the most impact on the result, they were unlikely to cross paths much.

“In reality they may only cross paths a couple of times in a game,” he said.

“The media can beat up their clash but it tends to be a fizzer most times because they don’t see each other.”

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/58202/henry-braced-for-tigers-reshuffle/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He’s not the only one bracing for a reshuffle

“They could use utility (Daniel) Fitzhenry in the centres to try to do a job on Willie Tonga.”

its as though he dares sheens to put fitzhenry to mark Tonga

However, they will be without prop Keith Galloway, who has a shoulder injury, and will be replaced by Junior Moors.

I thought Cayless was the replacement?

Boil down stairs according to WT Media

Not available this round

@AmericanHistoryX:

its as though he dares sheens to put fitzhenry to mark Tonga

Yeah I don’t know why he’s trying to talk that one up. I reckon Fitzy will still be on the bench tomorrow anyway.

Henry wary of Lote
09/04/2010 1:24 PM
Sportal

North Queensland coach Neil Henry believes the possible absence of Blake Ayshford could work in Wests Tigers’ favour on Saturday night if it means winger Lote Tuqiri has to switch roles.

Tim Sheens’ men might be flying high in third place thanks to three wins from four games, including two impressive come-from-behind efforts against Manly and Canberra but they have lost prop Keith Galloway to a shoulder injury and may yet also be without Ayshford due to a knee strain.

But far from weakening the visitors, Henry actually believes the possible move of Tuqiri to the custodian role could allow him extra freedom to create attacking moves for the Tigers.

“I think there’s enough experience (if Ayshford is ruled out),” Henry said on Friday ahead of the Dairy Farmers Stadium battle.

“If Tuqiri was to go to full-back I think he’ll handle it, he’s good under the high ball anyway and it will give him a bit of room to move with his carries instead of being hemmed in on the sideline a fair bit.”

“So it will probably make him a bit more dangerous, his broken-field running this year has been very good.”

Wary of the confident Tigers after their best start to a season since they beat the Cowboys to claim the 2005 premiership, Henry is fully aware of the danger that Benji Marshall poses even if he isn’t getting caught up in talk of the Kiwi’s match-up against Johnathan Thurston.

“He’s got great feet and what he can do is get across the line and build numbers on you so you really do have to put a bit of pressure on him but he plays fairly deep as well, he’s pretty elusive, so we can’t be chasing him across the park, we certainly need to manage people around him and our right edge in particular will have to aim up again this week,” Henry said of Marshall.

“It will be interesting to see how Benji goes up here, there’s no doubt we need to contain him and JT’s in good form as well and I’ve got no doubt that Tim Sheens has done some homework on him as well.”

With the teams facing off for the first time since Round 19 last season at Leichhardt Oval when Anthony Watts thumped Robbie Farah after a scrum and Farah returned fire several minutes later, Henry doesn’t believe there will be any further flare-ups this time around.

Having joked that he’s asked Watts to make sure he gets to play the full 80 minutes this time after both players spent 10 minutes in the sin bin that day, Henry is looking for a more complete game from his men a week after the 32-18 win over the Titans.

“We built up a bit of a lead against the Titans last week but we let in a couple of really … soft tries, where we just turned out or turned in and they went through untouched virtually,” Henry said.

“We can’t afford to do that, they’ve certainly got players that will take advantage of any … gaps in our line or any miscommunication in our line.”

“We know they’ve got plenty of points in them, our challenge I suppose is to contain their attack and also give them limited opportunities to attack our line.”

Full-back Shannon Gallant is looking forward to the game after spending the past three seasons playing for Wests.

“Yeah (I’m) looking forward to it,” Gallant said.

“(I’m) just happy to be picked in the team and now get to play some old mates so it’s going to be good.”

“(It’d be) very sweet mate, winning against any team but against your old team, especially up here in front of my new home crowd it’d be awesome and I can’t wait, you’re making me pumped up for the game.”

Wests headed to Townsville on Friday morning with Ayshford on the plane but no certainty to play, with Geoff Daniela on standby if Ayshford doesn’t come up.

“Blake trained well with the team on Thursday night. It is now a case of seeing how Blake recovers,” Wests Tigers football operations manager Alan Mair told the club’s official website.

“If he is to right to play, he will take his spot in the team. If not, Geoff Daniela will replace him.”

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme