On field performance of club

• Admittedly the focus of this forum is primarily the issues with the NRL team (13th), but if you take a step back and look at the club as a whole, it is not travelling too bad on the field:

NYC - 2nd (maybe 3rd after tonight):
    http://www.nrl.com/draw/holdencup/ladder/tabid/10718/default.aspx

NSW State Cup - 3rd
    http://www.nswrl.com.au/intrust-super-premiership-nsw/ladder1.html

Ron Massey Cup (Western Suburbs) - 2nd
    http://www.nswrl.com.au/seniors/ron-massey-cup/ladder.html

Sydney Shield (Western Suburbs) - 7th
    http://www.nswrl.com.au/seniors/sydney-sheild/ladder.html

Probably raises more questions than anything:

• Is there possibly a winning culture growing on the “lower” grades?
    • What do the results above say about the recruitment strategy of the club?
    • Do these results mean anything for the future success of the NRL team?
    • Why are we so dominant this season in these grades?

• Unfortunately the way the nrl is structured, lower grade success doesn’t necessarily translate to sustained nrl success.

That said, you can’t knock winning. The challenge is to prepare these guys for nrl.

• In 2012 the Tigers won the Toyota Cup and played in the NSW Cup grand final. How’s that working for us?

Here’s the Toyota Cup team list for the grand final:
    Kurtis Rowe, David Nofoaluma, Brodie Monroe, Asipeli Fine, Marika Koroibete, Matt Mulcahy, Jacob Miller, Sauaso Sue, Ben Saunders, Mosese Fotuaika, Joel Luani, Kyle Lovett, Inno Inosesio;
    Interchange: Soni Paasi, Nathan Brown, Brenden Santi, Sitaleki Akauola, Shane Lalogafau, Andy Fiagatusa, Manaia Rudolph, Daniel Rakvin

• It tells me we recruited top quality reserve graders or quality players not been given a chance by coach Taylor

• Banned

More than anything I think it shows the huge gap between the nrl standard and the next levels down of state cup etc. I’m not sure what the answer is but all I can say is the old days reserve grade comp provided a lot closer level between the 2 main levels.

Not unexpectedly, many good lower graders make only a few NRL players with any impact, and even fewer make it to stars.

I do think the “X” factor of many clubs kicks in with culture, opportunity, desire to achieve and reward for effort, and relegation if effort not given comes in to play. This is where I think WT fall down all too often.

• great to see a team list from that successful side.3- 6 of those players have tasted some nrl success.

as a young follower i used to get the game day magazines and study who was playing third or reserve grade before the big game.the same pattern was evident - only a smallish percentage went on to play regular first grade.
    bit like watching the voice- only a handful make it- the rest can dream on.

good post gary bakerloo,well worth your posting.

• I don’t think our club was necessarily the blueprint for success post 2012 ( sheens was more valuable than we have credit but front office woeful). Our recruitment through that same period was poor.

I think the most successful model is to bring a core group of youngsters through and fill the gaps. We are still working towards that but the frustration is our young halves were brought in way too early with not enough experience and we are on the roller coaster. With some many players off contract in 2017 we have the opportunity to set things right.

• Just watching the lower grades again now. I might be delusional but it seems we are playing with a harder edge. Stone, Liddell and the winger papenhausen were very impressive.

Maybe Taylor’s mantra of hiring on attitude is starting to pay off. et looks like being a great addition.

• R Paps is gonna be a first grade fullback at minimim… he is quality. Wonder who will snake him.

• @MacDougall:

R Paps is gonna be a first grade fullback at minimim… he is quality. Wonder who will snake him.

Maybe we can just become the sort of club that has a top quality player waiting in reserves or playing wing who can cover when our rep fullback is away or injured

Like Slater/Munster or Inglis/Johnston

Probably requires a flexible cap

• @2041:

In 2012 the Tigers won the Toyota Cup and played in the NSW Cup grand final. How’s that working for us?

Here’s the Toyota Cup team list for the grand final:
    Kurtis Rowe, David Nofoaluma, Brodie Monroe, Asipeli Fine, Marika Koroibete, Matt Mulcahy, Jacob Miller, Sauaso Sue, Ben Saunders, Mosese Fotuaika, Joel Luani, Kyle Lovett, Inno Inosesio;
    Interchange: Soni Paasi, Nathan Brown, Brenden Santi, Sitaleki Akauola, Shane Lalogafau, Andy Fiagatusa, Manaia Rudolph, Daniel Rakvin

We did some great things in 2003 winning the 7s and then SG Ball in 2004 as well.

• So now:

NRL: 8th (although may 9th after tonight)
    NYC: 6th (massive win yesterday)
    NSW State Cup: 4th
    RMC: 1st
    Sydney Shield: 9th

All teams in finals hunt….not bad…

• as a club, we’re doing alright

• some time back i had a fiver on wests to make the final four.at 260 to 1.

should i cash out or let it ride?

• Even if we won every game, I don’t think we’d make the top 4. Take the pay (if they’re offering anything).

Recent Topics