FORUM MEMBERS OVER 49

• can the forum members under 30 teach us a thing or 2?

• Banned

Nup

• you’re going to India Flip - they can’t teach that stuff in university - i see where you’re coming from -

• You oldies are too stubborn to learn haha

• Oldies taught you everything you know, whippersnapper!

And yes, under thirties can teach you heaps. My kids teach me stuff every day. You just have to be a good listener.

• When you are under 30 you believe you know everything when you are over 60 you know that you know little if anything

• I’m 30, which group do I fall into?

• @Cultured Bogan:

I’m 30, which group do I fall into?

Your one of the forgotten ones , you fall through the cracks of society like myself :bawling

Woe is us

• I was born a month after the Summons-Provan ‘Gladiators’ photo was taken.
    16 year old westie growing up on the hill at Lidcombe Oval, sneaking in cartons of Toohey’s at the height of the Fibros/ Silvertails era
    Feel lucky to have been there many of those great games

• @innsaneink:

I was born a month after the Summons-Provan ‘Gladiators’ photo was taken.
    16 year old westie growing up on the hill at Lidcombe Oval, sneaking in cartons of Toohey’s at the height of the Fibros/ Silvertails era

I was always a one eyed Tigers man but my best mate was a magpie fan and he dragged me off to Lidcombe to see the Magpies its Parramatta. What a game, Les Boyd destroyed Parra on his own, one of the most dominant forward display I have ever seen.

Anyway I am old enough to have seen a game at Pratten Park and a game at LO when the field ran east to west and who can forget the old Saturday match of the day at the Cricket ground. Sorry I am getting carried away, they were days when I had a team that most years was in contention for most of the year.
    Like most old people, I spend a lot of time thinking about the past!!!

• @AmericanHistoryX:

can the forum members under 30 teach us a thing or 2?

Yeah, probably a bit to do with social media stuff.

You know " spankchat, trotter, farcebook, instasham etc" 😒

To be honest we can learn from each other, whether we both have the patience and tolerance to do so, is the issue.

These are only a few of the practical talents which appear to have faded out. 😊
    1. Having conversation and talking to people, or going to visit them, has become a victim of technology.
    2. Riding pushbike, kicking the footy at the local park, learning how to fix a puncture, either in your pushbike, or scooter, replace the brake pads, tube or a fit new tire ?
    3. Change a spark plug on a mower,replace mower blades, or even how to mix a can of 2 stroke fuel for mower or whipper snipper?
    4. How to remove a link in a pushbike chain, replace broken brake cable etc?
    5. Take the wheels of a bike, remove and re grease the axles etc.

I am very grateful to be born in 1964, and learn all this stuff to date.

We didn’t need electronic games, we went out and did stuff.
    If it was broken, we learnt how to fix it, especially with bikes & scooters otherwise you walked.

People may be fantastic academically, but you also need to to be able to communicate, and learn and rely on practical skills.
    I’ve made it to 51. 😆

• It’s not time to make a change. Just relax, take it easy. You’re still young, that’s your fault. There’s so much you have to know.

• @Juro:

It’s not time to make a change. Just relax, take it easy. You’re still young, that’s your fault. There’s so much you have to know.

Lines from a Cat Stevens song ??

• @innsaneink:

I was born a month after the Summons-Provan ‘Gladiators’ photo was taken.

I dont think we snuck the cartons of Tooheys in. We boldly walked in with them on the shoulder, and no one would have looked sideways. How times have changed, and whilst I accept that much of that change is for the better, there is no denying they were great days - the Lidcombe Oval days (Im a couple of years older than you Ink). None of my mates in those days were Maggies supporters, but I always got a big group of them going to games because Wests teams of that era were so full of characters, and they played great football. Little wonder that Roy Masters’ writing is still to this day impacted by those times.

But back on topic, I think its great the way that the generations can learn from each other nowadays and I readily admit learning much from my children (now young adults). That is a change from all of human history which has pretty much been a case of ‘with age comes wisdom’.

• @westTAHger:

@AmericanHistoryX:

can the forum members under 30 teach us a thing or 2?

Yeah, probably a bit to do with social media stuff.

You know " spankchat, trotter, farcebook, instasham etc" 😒

To be honest we can learn from each other, whether we both have the patience and tolerance to do so, is the issue.

These are only a few of the practical talents which appear to have faded out. 😊
    1. Having conversation and talking to people, or going to visit them, has become a victim of technology.
    2. Riding pushbike, kicking the footy at the local park, learning how to fix a puncture, either in your pushbike, or scooter, replace the brake pads, tube or a fit new tire ?
    3. Change a spark plug on a mower,replace mower blades, or even how to mix a can of 2 stroke fuel for mower or whipper snipper?
    4. How to remove a link in a pushbike chain, replace broken brake cable etc?
    5. Take the wheels of a bike, remove and re grease the axles etc.

I am very grateful to be born in 1964, and learn all this stuff to date.

We didn’t need electronic games, we went out and did stuff.
    If it was broken, we learnt how to fix it, especially with bikes & scooters otherwise you walked.

People may be fantastic academically, but you also need to to be able to communicate, and learn and rely on practical skills.
    I’ve made it to 51. 😆

I’m 30 and I still did a lot of that. My dad had me out in the yard helping him with things, we built a pergola for one of their homes together (raised off the deck, backfilled with pine log retaining wall and paved on top.)

Looking to start a veggie patch and I’ll have my young bloke out there with me when he’s old enough so I can teach him how to grow food. Invaluable life skill for him to learn and a good opportunity to bond with him.

See it with a lot of young blokes now with social media. They’re quiet to your face and appear really subdued, and then get on Facebook and act the internet tough guy. Social media does have it’s pitfalls.

Recent Topics