Cronulla looking for a new coach?

I found this article the other day “http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sharks-headhunt-new-coach-behind-stuarts-back-20100410-rzq2.html” and it says they are looking at Nathan Brown, as a Giants fan i am very worried that he may go. What is the word down under on this?

@huddgiant01:

I found this article the other day “http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sharks-headhunt-new-coach-behind-stuarts-back-20100410-rzq2.html” and it says they are looking at Nathan Brown, as a Giants fan i am very worried that he may go. What is the word down under on this?

I cant see the Sharks sacking Stuart just yet.

They are struggling financially and they can’t afford to pay another coach out of his contract.

Cant see Browny coming back just yet, especially against a fierce rival of the club and he played and coached for.

There was speculation as well in the Tele a couple of weeks back but more towards 2011 not atm so could be interesting

I don’t think Ricky Stuart will last much longer at the Sharks…I think people are starting to realize that he is just like Michael Hagan.

Hagan in 2001 had the luxury of inheriting a Newcastle team that included more experienced rep stars than you could poke a stick at.

He went to Parra where he actually had some work to do and suddenly he looked very average. Ironically it was Brian Smith who had to clean up the mess Hagan had made at Newcastle

It was a very similar story at the with Stuart at the Roosters\Sharks

Stuart is good for a club in the short term, both the Roosters and the Sharks started well with him, but after a few years you go backwards. I still think his true calling is rep footy. 1/1 in origin, and only lost 1 game as Australian coach (which happened to be his biggest game).

The rumours of Brown coming to the Sharks has been around for a few months. It is gaining alot of momentum in the UK circles with the bookies. If Brown is coming, it will be in 2011…

@huddgiant01:

I’d be more worried If Browny was the one expected to fix my club…

Poor sharkies

I reckon they should get Roycey!!

@Jazza:

@huddgiant01:

I cant see the Sharks sacking Stuart just yet.

They are struggling financially and they can’t afford to pay another coach out of his contract.

Cant see Browny coming back just yet, especially against a fierce rival of the club and he played and coached for.

Neither can I, especially when Sticky and Browny are good mates… 😉

@Marshall_magic:

Stuart is good for a club in the short term, both the Roosters and the Sharks started well with him, but after a few years you go backwards. I still think his true calling is rep footy. 1/1 in origin, and only lost 1 game as Australian coach (which happened to be his biggest game).

I agree, he is passionate which is what you need from rep footy.

He isnt a great tactical coach but you dont necessarily need to be one in rep footy.

I think his grafting, grinding, wear your opponents down type of tactics in club footy works well at first but eventually it wears the players out themselves.

His sides just dont look fresh.

Stuart coached sides have never been able to score points except when he had someone like Fittler, and to a lesser extent, Kimmorley.

Brown could certainly be a candidate for Cronulla, he was signed to the Sharks during the Super League era but with Court Injunctions he opted to stay with St George.
Apparently he was surprised to find that Sticky was on the outer, wasn’t it only recently that we had Sheens linked to Souths and Sticky tipped to join the Tigers, I can’t see Nathan returning to the NRL until he attains a major Trophy in the UK, he’s already a runner up in the Challenge Cup.
Talking about a challenge, I think that Ricky should consider a move to England, plenty of coaches have come back from there with a better attitude and more knowledge, I’m looking forward to see how much progress Ian Millward makes with a struggling lower division side in the Leigh Centurions, it can be make or break in the UK, that’s why we’ll never see the likes of Sean McCrae and Peter Sharpe back in the NRL.

I think it was Phil Rothfield who ranked the current coaches in last week’s Telecrap. He put Stuart ahead of Sheens. Laughable.

Well if he does move back , he may well take Sean Lunt with him ( young hooker) who is looking in the NRL apparently as he is in amazing form and will no doubt be down in Oz at the end of the year with England. I hope your all right that he is not going to take the job.

Ricky Stuart is an average coach at best. However, he is a damn good motivator who will pull together his troops as he has at the sharks. I can’t fault his commitment for the job and patience during tough times but he’s shown it at the sharks and also the Roosters that he’s far from able to get the best out of his players from a developement perspective.

He flourished at the Roosters when they had a star studded team, likewise with the Kangaroos and NSW. Take away the talent and you see coaches in a different light. Some will be able to nuture the talent through ie; Sheens, Bennett and Bellamy. Others though just don’t have the same ability and Stuart sits in that class.

Truth is he should’ve been sacked at the end of last season. He’s been there for a while, that squad is his sqaud, he’s built it to his liking and the results haven’t come. I know some of it’s not his fault but the fact remains the Sharks have gone backwards in a big way since he’s come in. He won’t keep the job but he won’t be sacked either.

when ricky stuart was at the rosters he had john cartwright helping him, and as previously stated a god bunch of players. the sharks seemed to have lost their way since departure of their fullback Brett Kearney, & Greg Bird.
or maybe they are in more financial trouble than they are willing to admit.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme