Another terrorist attack in France

• I just woke up to the news that there has been another terrorist attack in France, this time in Nice, one of the popular tourist spots. Someone has driven a lorry into the crowd watching a fire works display to celebrate Bastille Day, the national day. Over 80 people have been killed.

Nice is about an hour’s drive from where we are, so we are unaffected again.

• @Paris Cobbs:

I just woke up to the news that there has been another terrorist attack in France, this time in Nice, one of the popular tourist spots. Someone has driven a lorry into the crowd watching a fire works display to celebrate Bastille Day, the national day. Over 80 people have been killed.

Good to hear you are OK PC

Is it just me or does the massive security concerns are ignored by the French authorities on their biggest day of the year

How a truck of that size can even get that close to crowds without having to pass a single check point just astounds me

• That’s shocking news. I spent 3 months in Villefranche last year - less than 10 minutes by train from Nice. It’s a beautiful part of the world, and I love the people. It saddens me deeply to hear about this.

• @Paris Cobbs:

I just woke up to the news that there has been another terrorist attack in France, this time in Nice, one of the popular tourist spots. Someone has driven a lorry into the crowd watching a fire works display to celebrate Bastille Day, the national day. Over 80 people have been killed.

Still take care, champion.

• Deepest sympathies to all who have been affected by this.

• Banned

The more this happens, the more obvious it is that we are powerless to stop repeat offences.

Feel very sorry for the French people. What’s this, 4 big instances in the past couple of years? Just terrible.

• Gutted for the French. Contrary to the stereotype the French are lovely people if you try to make an effort with them (i.e. don’t expect them to speak English to you first up.)

I really enjoyed my time there and really want to go back.

• @happy tiger:

@Paris Cobbs:

Is it just me or does the massive security concerns are ignored by the French authorities on their biggest day of the year

How a truck of that size can even get that close to crowds without having to pass a single check point just astounds me

Re the truck HT same thought went through my mind too. However I think I heard on Tele the truck did crash through some barrier - obviously not enough. Very very sad for the people of France.

• @happy tiger:

@Paris Cobbs:

Crowds congregate in all sorts of places, there’s only so much that can be done. This is also a new method of terrorist attack on a Western target. Sadly it’s just not that hard for someone to kill a bunch of people if they really want to.

I hope the French can keep their spirits up in the face of all this. I’ve had some mates travel there recently and they’ve said that Paris already feels different.

• Banned

Going back to Vietnam War days I wondered how a nation can bomb another nation and not expect payback on their own vulnerable citizens. These terrorists attacks are due to France being involved in bombing against ISIS. We may despise ISIS grossly but they are a result of Western policy failure in the invasion of Iraq and the Western powers drawing up the boundaries after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire after WW1. I never felt comfortable with so many nations bombing populated Syria and Iraq knowing that many ordinary citizens will be sure to be killed and infrastructure destroyed. Seemed completely wrong a George W Bush type of response.

• Banned

@Byron Bay Fan:

Going back to Vietnam War days I wondered how a nation can bomb another nation and not expect payback on their own vulnerable citizens. These terrorists attacks are due to France being involved in bombing against ISIS. We may despise ISIS grossly but they are a result of Western policy failure in the invasion of Iraq and the Western powers drawing up the boundaries after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire after WW1. I never felt comfortable with so many nations bombing populated Syria and Iraq knowing that many ordinary citizens will be sure to be killed and infrastructure destroyed. Seemed completely wrong a George W Bush type of response.

France opposed the invasion of Iraq. They did not participate.

As for ISIS, well quite clearly the international community cannot stand back and let a depraved group of terrorists rape and murder their way across two countries, committing genocide and all the while threatening the international community. France’s role in this coalition was minimal until they were attacked last year.

The actual reason France was attacked is because they have a large and disaffected muslim community on their soil, who see the French people as infidel targets. The exact same reason that terrorist attacks have taken place in Brussels, the UK, US, Australia, and practically every country with a sizeable muslim population.

No need for in depth analysis when the answer stares you directly in the face.

• Banned

@Abraham:

@Byron Bay Fan:

France opposed the invasion of Iraq. They did not participate.

As for ISIS, well quite clearly the international community cannot stand back and let a depraved group of terrorists rape and murder their way across two countries, committing genocide and all the while threatening the international community. France’s role in this coalition was minimal until they were attacked last year.

The actual reason France was attacked is because they have a large and disaffected muslim community on their soil, who see the French people as infidel targets. The exact same reason that terrorist attacks have taken place in Brussels, the UK, US, Australia, and practically every country with a sizeable muslim population.

No need for in depth analysis when the answer stares you directly in the face.

I am too busy to check out but I presume from my highlighted sentence that France were involved before being attacked - at a minimal was your qualification. I don’t agree with your conclusion that any country with a Muslim population will be a target. UK, USA and Australia were all contributors to violence in the M/E over the past decade so of course they may be targets when they go in on dubious grounds and without United Nation permission. Control of oil was the ultimate goal.

The Sunnis were backed into a corner in Iraq so their mates across boundaries got involved. The situation was far from perfect before the Western invasions that left the area the worse ever with no endgame to recommend.

France was responsible for the deaths hundreds of thousands during the Algerian War of Independence. Funny/strange that after that war France took in tens of thousands of Algerian refugees who probably fought with them but now descendants of those refugees are now playing up. Seems like what goes round comes round.

The West would have been better staying out of the whole area going back to backing terrorists in Afghanistan decades ago - nothing turned out peaches and cream.

• Why isn’t Israel or Saudi Arabia ever “attacked”?

• Banned

@tsjonathan:

Why isn’t Israel or Saudi Arabia ever “attacked”?

Oil and mates of the USA - protected species both of them

• @Byron Bay Fan:

Sept 11 happened before the invasion of Iraq. While yes, ISIS was born with Iraq, muslim extremism was born well before that.

I’m really uncomfortable with the way Western civilisation is developing to try to look inward. We’ve maintained global stability for centuries and created most of the worlds advancements. We are not the bad guys.

As much as Iraq was a mistake, Suddam Hussein was a concern for the global community.

After becoming a new dad recently and seeing how many kids were killed in Nice. I’m onboard for stronger action, like immigration halts.

I don’t want us attacking people who are australians now, everyone deserves freedom on speech and religion, but certainly put some stronger requirements on who will become Australians.

The Left wing has had their time in the sun and nations are paying for it.

Recent Topics