Are these blokes for real?

• RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYERS - They’ve got to be kidding right….

Couple of interesting news points come up this morning -

1st: The RLPA is up the Dragons for standing down 2 players (incorrectly apparently??) who were out until 5am on a Monday morning blind drunk getting arrested for bashing people on the street.

Where in the world can you be employed (Substantially) by a company and not be held accountable to a code of conduct? Yeah, They’re young, They’re footballers not doctors - Blah, blah, blah… These guys dead set think they’re untouchable - From a young age!!
    And the guys halfarsedly trying to defend them are dead set kidding themselves.

There wouldn’t be a club in the game that doesn’t spend years and countless hours schooling these kids - Letting them know what they’re in for, How to deal with it etc, etc… They do it, Because THEY KNOW, No matter what they do - There’ll be another club to play for Here, Overseas or somewhere…

2nd: Foran demanding 200k to walk away from his Eels contract… Which he has already clearly done I might add.

NOW, I don’t in any way, shape or form dismiss any kinds of illness or addiction… That’s not my point.
    My point is for one reason or another (or multiple), Kieran Foran has decided it’s best for him to walk out on a massive contract with Parra.

Parramatta have invested a lot of time, money and have based the future of their club for the next 4 YEARS around this man - And have paid him accordingly.
    Prior to injury, His personal issues have damaged the club to no end - Not forgetting he’s strongly rumoured to involved in the Manly match fixing scandal. - How much of his other issues are hinged to this… I wonder?
    NOW - He’s made it clear he won’t be involved with Parramatta in the future and is demanding a 200k payout to walk away… Again, From an agreement that he’s already clearly walked away from. He obviously knows he has them over a barrel and they need to move on roster wise to be competitive…
    Who’s compensating Parra for the Player, National Captain, Club Captain, Dominant Halfback and Poster boy they’ve spent the last 12 months landing and based the immediate future of a multi million dollar operation they’ve based around him for the next 3+ years now he’s not gonna be there?

Who the hell are these people? What world do they live in? is it reality? What job do you get in this world where the employees and their wingmen run the company?
    I WANT ONE…

In a game where the club loyalty and our is so publicly scrutinised - Where is the player loyalty?
    I find it amusing that Benji bangs on about club loyalty owed to Robbie when he walked out on his contract with us with 2 years remaining… Where was your loyalty?

• I’ve long said it, it’s a one way street with RL players. They can cite compassionate grounds and the like to get out of contracts, but as soon as clubs move players on they are the devil incarnate.

Foran asking for money (if true,) to walk away is rich, which gives rise to two situations:

1. Foran is up the river financially and is trying to screw the Eels out of more money. Illness or not, that’s deplorable;
    2. Parra have asked him to walk away to secure the services of another talent currently out on the market whose dream is to return to Rugby League.

• Once again,the big money paid to players lead some to drugs,gambling and drunkenness…when will they learn? probably when the big money is reduced and more personal training is given,however you can teach,train anyone who accepts it,the ones who can’t control themselves are the most who hit the headlines…in my opinion and the couple of young guys I know who have had the world at their feet in regards to getting big money for playing rugby league came from lower class working families on farms and properties,they didn’t see huge amounts of money and what its buying power was,hence they could all of a sudden pay cash for a car,big nights out shouting the mates,and their careers spiralled out of control until they were no longer interested in playing and now have bugger all to show for it…human nature,immaturity or whatever you want to call it,big money usually brings big problems,it comes down to control and education…just my opinion and I hope most young guys have good managers and strong financial advisors,if Foran was involved in match fixing it goes to show how desperate he was to make up for lost cash…

• @Cultured Bogan:

I’ve long said it, it’s a one way street with RL players. They can cite compassionate grounds and the like to get out of contracts, but as soon as clubs move players on they are the devil incarnate.

Foran asking for money (if true,) to walk away is rich, which gives rise to two situations:

1. Foran is up the river financially and is trying to screw the Eels out of more money. Illness or not, that’s deplorable;
    2. Parra have asked him to walk away to secure the services of another talent currently out on the market whose dream is to return to Rugby League.

(Hypothetical only) But maybe Foran knows he’ll be convicted of match fixing and never be allowed to play professional sport again - Maybe that’s got something to do with his downward spiral.
    Again, Parra had finally moved on from Hayne - And are going better than ever without him. How much of the Salary cap bungle is revolved around him (A fair whack I’d say).
    They’ve had 10 Years to build a club around Hayne and couldn’t - Foran on the other hand…
    Foran has them over a barrel, Has a 1.2mil contract and for whatever reason has no desire to be there - and knows they need to move on from him.

All of this was well on the Cards before the Hayne resurgence - Again, Why would they want to spend that sort of money on “A Club Legend” who walked out on his last deal with them?
    The season they’ve had - And they’re a better team now than when Hayne won his last Dally M.

• Reality hits a lot of them when they retire. The ones who aren’t good enough to go into the media or coaching. Granted lots of players receive a tertiary education to give themselves a fallback, a lot more don’t. I think it’s recently we’ve heard about ex players getting involved in drug rings. These guys start playing footy at age 6 or 7 up until the age of 32, 33 etc. For a lot of them it’s all they’ve ever known.

As for their attitude, when you give guys in their late teens and early 20’s fame and big money, with women throwing themselves at you, it would be pretty hard not to feel 10 ft tall.

• @GNR4LIFE:

Reality hits a lot of them when they retire. The ones who aren’t good enough to go into the media or coaching. Granted lots of players receive a tertiary education to give themselves a fallback, a lot more don’t. I think it’s recently we’ve heard about ex players getting involved in drug rings. These guys start playing footy at age 6 or 7 up until the age of 32, 33 etc. For a lot of them it’s all they’ve ever known.

As for their attitude, when you give guys in their late teens and early 20’s fame and big money, with women throwing themselves at you, it would be pretty hard not to feel 10 ft tall.

Their attitudes probably stem from being told they’re the best since they were 6 or 7 well into their teens. Arrogance would breed early without the right people around you keeping you humble and encouraging you to diversify your interests. For every Corey Payne or Jason King there’s a Jason Smith or Danny Wicks.

• Much of the problems can be traced back to them being fully professional footballers.Many but not all have no idea how it is to work for a living and understand what others have to do to make ends meet.Too much money and living in a cocoon of fantasy (clubs to largely blame)gives them a very distorted view on life.No wonder some find it difficult in the real world

• Rugby League at the top level is a game for selfish players.

• @Newtown:

Rugby League at the top level is a game for selfish players.

I’d rephrase that: Rugby League at the top level is a game where team players can thrive, no so for selfish players (and every sport has their fair share of them).

• @Cultured Bogan:

I’ve long said it, it’s a one way street with RL players. They can cite compassionate grounds and the like to get out of contracts, but as soon as clubs move players on they are the devil incarnate.

Parra will get out of the Foran drama unscathed. They will agree to pay him the 200k (on the books) and whatever other money they are willing to pay him to clear the decks for Hayne will be given to Foran in the old Corey Norman lunch sandwiches paper bag.
    Farce.

• @batboy:

RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYERS - They’ve got to be kidding right….

Couple of interesting news points come up this morning -

1st: The RLPA is up the Dragons for standing down 2 players (incorrectly apparently??) who were out until 5am on a Monday morning blind drunk getting arrested for bashing people on the street.

Where in the world can you be employed (Substantially) by a company
    and not be held accountable to a code of conduct? Yeah, They’re young, They’re footballers not doctors - Blah, blah, blah… These guys dead set think they’re untouchable - From a young age!!
    And the guys halfarsedly trying to defend them are dead set kidding themselves.

There wouldn’t be a club in the game that doesn’t spend years and countless hours schooling these kids - Letting them know what they’re in for, How to deal with it etc, etc… They do it, Because THEY KNOW, No matter what they do - There’ll be another club to play for Here, Overseas or somewhere…

2nd: Foran demanding 200k to walk away from his Eels contract… Which he has already clearly done I might add.

NOW, I don’t in any way, shape or form dismiss any kinds of illness or addiction… That’s not my point.
    My point is for one reason or another (or multiple), Kieran Foran has decided it’s best for him to walk out on a massive contract with Parra.

Parramatta have invested a lot of time, money and have based the future of their club for the next 4 YEARS around this man - And have paid him accordingly.
    Prior to injury, His personal issues have damaged the club to no end - Not forgetting he’s strongly rumoured to involved in the Manly match fixing scandal. - How much of his other issues are hinged to this… I wonder?
    NOW - He’s made it clear he won’t be involved with Parramatta in the future and is demanding a 200k payout to walk away… Again, From an agreement that he’s already clearly walked away from. He obviously knows he has them over a barrel and they need to move on roster wise to be competitive…
    Who’s compensating Parra for the Player, National Captain, Club Captain, Dominant Halfback and Poster boy they’ve spent the last 12 months landing and based the immediate future of a multi million dollar operation they’ve based around him for the next 3+ years now he’s not gonna be there?

Who the hell are these people? What world do they live in? is it reality? What job do you get in this world where the employees and their wingmen run the company?
    I WANT ONE…

In a game where the club loyalty and our is so publicly scrutinised - Where is the player loyalty?
    I find it amusing that Benji bangs on about club loyalty owed to Robbie when he walked out on his contract with us with 2 years remaining… Where was your loyalty?

Club loyalty and Club loyalty is a fallacy. Clubs will do anything to get rid of a player, when it suits them. , and some players may as well write a contract on a serviete, to make it easier to tear up. The NRL needs to control contracts and crack down hard on either party if they attempt to get out of them.
    Players and clubs should have to honour contracts to the end. I
    Stopping backloaded contracts is the first step, I think that there will be more to come on that

• @goldcoast tiger:

Club loyalty and Club loyalty is a fallacy. Clubs will do anything to get rid of a player, when it suits them. , and some players may as well write a contract on a serviete, to make it easier to tear up. The NRL needs to control contracts and crack down hard on either party if they attempt to get out of them.
    Players and clubs should have to honour contracts to the end.
    I
    Stopping backloaded contracts is the first step, I think that there will be more to come on that

Yeah because circumstances never legitimately change for either party…that genius idea will just result in the code losing players to rival codes because you’ve suppressed their earning potential.

• Parra should just tell him that he is still under contract. Expected to attend training injury rehab purposes, and attend all games to support his team mates who are running around for a lot less money than him.

When he does not meet these conditions, breach notice. 3 strikes and he is out with nothing.

Either that or pay him 200k on the condiaition he cannot sign for another team for 3 years.

Show me another job where you choose to leave 10 months after starting there and ask for 200k.

• @Nelson:

@goldcoast tiger:

Players and clubs should have to honour contracts to the end.
    I

Yeah because circumstances never legitimately change for either party…that genius idea will just result in the code losing players to rival codes because you’ve suppressed their earning potential.

If you both fulfil your side , you haven’t suppressed anything . Unless one side signed under duress.
    Other wise why sign a contract at all
    If you sign a contract to sell your house, is it ok on settlement day for the buyer to say I don’t want to pay for the whole house. So now il only pay for half

There’s no difference

• @Newtown:

Rugby League at the top level is a game for selfish players.

And shonky selfish clubs that will offer anything to sign a player . Regardless of whether they intend to keep them for the length of the contract, or not

Recent Topics