JT HAS NO CLUE - JUST ASK RANKIN

• Banned

In an article in the SMH July 27 11:59am, Rankin was asked about his dummy half role on the weekend.

Rankin said he didn’t know about his new role until during the game.

“It was always a matter of how Dene was going to handle playing the full 80 minutes, knowing we didn’t have a hooker on the bench and (prop) Joel Edwards playing as well,” he said.

"There was a stage there where it just happened that I had to come out and fill the role for a bit so (Halatau) could get a breather.

So JT thought it wise to thrust Rankin into the role without prior warning, no gameplan during the week. No practice during training.

Rankin then opens up about Robbie Farah:

Rankin, 24, also weighed into the Taylor-Farah saga, hitting out at critics of the former club captain for claiming he wasn’t giving the team’s young halves enough opportunities in attack.

“The stories about Robbie not giving them enough ball, to me it seems like a beat-up,” he said.

Its seem more and more clear that JT has just about lost the playing group. Rather than try to fool them and us with spin, he should have just called the Farah dumping for what it is. They can, just like us also see that he makes it up as he goes (rankin at hooker, lovett in the centres). Its so sad to see coaching decisions actually undermining a team rather than helping them.

• Probably because the plan going in was for Edwards to play hooker but he had to be used cover the injuries to Grant/Lawrence.

• Banned

@tigerman80:

“The stories about Robbie not giving them enough ball, to me it seems like a beat-up,” he said.

How funny is this.

• Yeah…hes really lost the shed

• Banned

@stevetiger:

@tigerman80:

How funny is this.

And coming from Taylors love child Rankin lol

• Reading what Rankin actually says, not the reporter, it sounds like he did know.

Rankin,
    “It was always a matter of how Dene was going to handle playing the full 80 minutes, knowing we didn’t have a hooker on the bench and (prop) Joel Edwards playing as well,” he said.

• Banned

@innsaneink:

Yeah…hes really lost the shed

Smiling players after a win = support of taylor lol lol. Woods with benji at leichardt, ET backing Farah, Rankin calling JT’s reasons for not dropping Farah a beat up, Moses and Brooks re-signing for only one year supposedly to see who the coach is, Oneil and Pascoe saying its JT’s decision and nothing to do with them, hes lost everyone lol. I wonder if Rankin will be called in to have a chat to Pascoe.

• Rankin no stranger to dummy half

Surprise Wests Tigers back-up hooker Jordan Rankin says he spent time at hooker in the UK Super League and views himself as a jack-of-all-trades utility after a surprise spell at dummy half on Sunday after senior hooker Robbie Farah’s demotion to reserve grade.

With back-up hooker Manaia Cherrington not selected and upcoming rake Jacob Liddle unavailable due to salary cap constraints, the question of how the dummy-half role would be filled remained unclear up until kick-off, with retiring veteran Dene Halatau mid-year recruit Elijah Taylor expected to share the duties.

With two first-half injuries stretching the club’s interchanges and a number of stoppages allowing for more rests during the game, Halatau got through the bulk of Sunday’s 25-12 with Rankin providing support in attack while still defending on the wing.

Rankin told NRL.com he had slotted in at hooker for Hull FC during his stint there and isn’t fazed where on the field he’s asked to play.

“I had a few games over in England last year playing at dummy half. It’s been something we’ve been working on over the last couple of weeks and I didn’t play long there [on Sunday], I think there were a lot of stoppages in play so ‘Deano’ was able to punch out a lot more minutes than we thought,” Rankin said.

“I’m just happy to fill in wherever I need to in the team and getting the win at the end of the day is the main thing.”

Rankin said he was happy to embrace the utility role when needed.

"There was always an option to play me there," he said.

"I’d like to class myself as a bit of a utility, I can play a bit of anywhere… the club knows I can play anywhere at a pinch so to get the game time there was obviously a couple of injuries and we had a couple of forced changes through that second half so I was happy to fill in there when I needed to.

“It was only for a short amount of time but the main thing was we got the win.”

Even while playing in the middle in attack Rankin reverted to his regular wing role in defence and he said it made sense to keep those combinations intact.

“You train on the wing and in the centres all the time so I’ve got a bit of a bond there with [centre] Timmy Simona and I know what he’s thinking all the time,” he said.

“I don’t think we’ve had many tries scored on our edge this year so to keep that there it saves me having to defend in the middle as well and leave the big boys to do all the tough stuff and I just come in and do the pretty stuff in attack so it worked out well today and we’ll see what happens, maybe we might keep going.”

Hooker issues aside, the win was a massive one for the club coming, as it did, against the team directly ahead of them on the ladder coming into the round. They have now leapfrogged the Dragons to sit in 10th – a win behind the seventh-placed Titans.

“We spoke about that this week. It was probably our most important game of the year,” Rankin said.

"Definitely coming into the last five or six rounds, every win’s going to matter and every point’s going to matter.

"We knew they were going to come here with the mindset of jumping another two points ahead of us to give them a bit of a clear run at the next couple of weeks, a bit of breathing space but we did what we had to do to get the win today and we knew they were going to come out.

“Benji [Marshall] was playing his 250th game and we definitely knew he was going to come out and have a big game and he did that in the first half but we were able to nullify him in the second half and get a really decent win.”

http://www.nrl.com/rankin-no-stranger-to-dummy-half/tabid/10874/newsid/99542/default.aspx

• I wonder if Rankin will be called in for a disciplinary meeting over his comments
    :roll

Looks like Pasty face will have to find some one else to wash his car …. 😆

• Well there you go.

• @tigerman80:

In an article in the SMH July 27 11:59am, Rankin was asked about his dummy half role on the weekend.

Rankin said he didn’t know about his new role until during the game.

"There was a stage there where it just happened that I had to come out and fill the role for a bit so (Halatau) could get a breather.

So JT thought it wise to thrust Rankin into the role without prior warning, no gameplan during the week. No practice during training.

Rankin then opens up about Robbie Farah:

Rankin, 24, also weighed into the Taylor-Farah saga, hitting out at critics of the former club captain for claiming he wasn’t giving the team’s young halves enough opportunities in attack.

Its seem more and more clear that JT has just about lost the playing group. Rather than try to fool them and us with spin, he should have just called the Farah dumping for what it is. They can, just like us also see that he makes it up as he goes (rankin at hooker, lovett in the centres). Its so sad to see coaching decisions actually undermining a team rather than helping them.

I’ve never seen Taylor say that Farah wasn’t giving the halves enough ball, just that he doesn’t pass from the ground, so the ball is slower getting to them.

Right or wrong, good to see the players supporting their teammate.

• Geez I hate people that selectively quote

• Firstly, meh!

Secondly, Balmain Boy is right. The OP is skewing the truth. We had injuries (the reason Rankin had to step in last minute) and he was given clear instructions. The article states: “A fullback or winger by trade, Rankin said his instructions from coach Jason Taylor were clear. It was just do whatever the halves wanted, and I just gave it to them. It’s pretty plain and simple for me.”

Sure, it makes sense that JT would have been better served with an accomplished hooker but hey, the proof is in the pudding. Rankin just had to follow basic instructions and distribute to the halves for us to get the win.
    Don’t look now but maybe our gameplan has the dummy-half as a role player…… 😲

• ForumSupporter

At least it’s not a Farah Thread…

• Banned

@bigsiro:

Firstly, meh!

Secondly, Balmain Boy is right. The OP is skewing the truth. We had injuries (the reason Rankin had to step in last minute) and he was given clear instructions. The article states: “A fullback or winger by trade, Rankin said his instructions from coach Jason Taylor were clear. It was just do whatever the halves wanted, and I just gave it to them. It’s pretty plain and simple for me.”

Sure, it makes sense that JT would have been better served with an accomplished hooker but hey, the proof is in the pudding. Rankin just had to follow basic instructions and distribute to the halves for us to get the win.
    Don’t look now but maybe our gameplan has the dummy-half as a role player…… 😲

Id love to see how that made up game plan went against one of the better teams. Especially in the second half when we had no direction and at stages no one playing dummy half. Thats what happens when you dont play with a recognised hooker. All these options (halatau, edwards, rankin) make us look better in attack then the farah/halatau combination did against rhe panthers and rhe rabbits. Your kidding yourself arent you.

Recent Topics