NRL Rookie

• Not sure if anyone has been watching the show but with the final on this week would anyone of the 3 players fit in at the tigers.

Chris Hyde is a 28 yr old hooker. The most consistent player in my opinion. Plays hard was a part of newcastle 20s but gave up the opportunity to pursue life outside of footy.

Lou Goodwin is 24 yr old edge back rower mainly. He is a tough player who runs and tackles hard. Brad Fittler was disappointed that he left the roosters 20s as he thought he was going to make nrl.

Jordan Martin is a 21yr old winger. Seems very quick and find the line but i don’t think he has the body or the mind for first grade. He hasn’t made any rep teams because he claims that he was too small.

• Yep I’ve been watching it. It’s hard to get a good gauge on just how good they are because there’s so little game time actually shown and the quality of the opposition has been variable.

I don’t think Jordan would cut it in the NRL. His defence is terrible and I’m not sure he’s got the heart for it. I’m surprised he managed to make the final 3 to be honest. I guess he has youth on his side…

Chris Hyde does looks solid but he’s been in the system for a long time (NSW Cup sides and feeder sides) and never made a breakthrough. I can’t see it happening now.

Lou Goodwin is probably the most likely. He probably had a shot at an NRL contract 4 or 5 years ago and walked out of the system. He might still have it in him to make it in the NRL.

• Have watched it, most interesting player was the ex sevens player something Lee.

• Yep watched it and Luke Goodwin is the one IMO. Would be a good addition to our squad or any NRL squad I’d say. Hyde is prob a NSW CUp player or good bench hooker but wuld take him. Martin nah

• I would love to have Lou, i think he has plenty to offer.

Jordan was great until getting injured, not sure about him.

Chris could be alright but you don’t want 3 hookers in your top 25.

• I like the show, it’s been good viewing. Of the remaining 3, Goodwin surely has to win, he’s got age on his side and looks to be the allround package.

• @Nelson:

Yep I’ve been watching it. It’s hard to get a good gauge on just how good they are because there’s so little game time actually shown and the quality of the opposition has been variable.

I don’t think Jordan would cut it in the NRL. His defence is terrible and I’m not sure he’s got the heart for it. I’m surprised he managed to make the final 3 to be honest. I guess he has youth on his side…

Chris Hyde does looks solid but he’s been in the system for a long time (NSW Cup sides and feeder sides) and never made a breakthrough. I can’t see it happening now.

Lou Goodwin is probably the most likely. He probably had a shot at an NRL contract 4 or 5 years ago and walked out of the system. He might still have it in him to make it in the NRL.

Yeah mate they said that 5 years ago the roosters offered him a 2 year deal…

Edit: Another article I found, good read ;
    http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2622689/lou-mounts-up-for-nsw-cup-photos/

• Ive seen the first four or five shows, thought its pretty good

• @Milky:

I would love to have Lou, i think he has plenty to offer.

The only contract they’re guaranteed out of it is a 2nd tier contract, not a top 25.

• I doubt we’d have space in the cap 😃

• Im pretty sure it’s a top 25 contract hence why the clubs bid for the player

• @Milky:

Im pretty sure it’s a top 25 contract hence why the clubs bid for the player

Yeah they seem to present it as that on the show but they never make it clear. This article suggests 2nd tier -

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3939359/hyde-tackles-rookie-debut/

“The show, in which 28 players vied for a second-tier NRL contract, was his final chance to crack the big time.”

Second tier makes more sense otherwise no club would pick any of them up and the show would look like a big flop.

• Top show. Highlight is seeing how much makeup Erin Moylan cakes on each week.
    Goodwin for sure. All round package. Hyde good but too old. Martin seems like a bit of a wuss, not enough heart for NRL.

• Whats the point for Goodwin if its a 2nd tier contract given he is alreay playing for Mounties who are Raiders 2nd tier ?

• @Milky:

I would love to have Lou, i think he has plenty to offer.

You don’t want three hookers in your top 25? But what happens if one gets a long-term injury, you decide you want to force another out of the club, you decide a third isn’t up to it and banish him to reggies, a fourth is too young and can’t get past second-tier cap issues, a fill in is 33 and can’t play big minutes, another one is basically a prop and can’t really play there and another is a winger who doesn’t know he has to play dummy half until half-way through the game?

This type of everyday occurrence is exactly the type of contingency any normal, well-run club ought to prepare for by signing five or six additional hookers every year. In fact, if you asked me what the appropriate number of hookers to carry in a top 25 is I’d say around 22.

Recent Topics