The most important distinction in the Wests Tigers imbroglio

• Banned

NRL: The most important distinction in the Wests Tigers imbroglio

Steve Mascord

The entire Robbie Farah-Jason Taylor debate is split along mostly predictable lines – respect for a club legend versus the right of a coach to make a decision that is best for the team.

But in much of the myriad comments and articles regarding this engaging soap opera, a key distinction seems to have been overlooked.

Those siding with Taylor will – quite reasonably – argue he has to do what he can to win games … and then mention almost in passing that Farah takes up a lot of salary cap space and the club is clearly trying to force him to walk.

Erm, as they say in the classics … hellooo?

These are two very different motivations. On one hand, if Taylor believes omitting Farah is going to aid Wests Tigers’ chances of winning games then, no matter how unpopular his decision, he is duty-bound to leave him out.

But trying to make a player leave by omitting him, or – as Farah alleged on Saturday – provoking him into a disciplinary breach is disingenuous and abusive.

Only the most cynical observer would support an action based on this motivation. Of course, there may be an element of truth in both interpretations.

Wests Tigers success on Sunday against St George Illawarra supports Taylor’s contention that a side without Farah can accrue victories.

But Farah’s own pedigree suggests there should be at least a place for him on the bench.

The bottom line is that if Taylor is being honest about his motivations, and they are backed up by results, then history will judge his tough call well.

But if the fullness of time uncovers other agendas, and if the club does try to dispose of Farah without his full financial entitlements, then the game’s annals will not be so kind to him.

And neither will most Wests Tigers fans.

From: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/wests-tigers/nrl-the-most-important-distinction-in-the-wests-tigers-imbroglio-20160727-gqet2e.html

• Steve Mascord needs a dictionary, I don’t think he understands what cynicism is or what disingenuous means.

• I think what Mascord overlooks is that a coach does not have to justify his decision-making to the public or media. The on-field results are the only currency.

Even if this is 100% to force Farah out and ease salary cap, coach is justified to drop him based solely on his own decision. Rugby league and indeed professional sport isn’t the same as other workplaces where you need performance plans etc. to justify where a player plays. You can demote players simply by opinion where you could not do so in, say, an office.

So whether it’s right or wrong has no real impact on the outcome - JT can omit Farah from the team for as long as he is head coach, and so long as Farah gets paid his monies, there’s not much his team can do apart from wage this media war.

• @Nelson:

Steve Mascord needs a dictionary, I don’t think he understands what cynicism is or what disingenuous means.

He could also look up imbroglio.
    From my perspective, WT is not in, or does not have, an imbroglio. The club has made a clear and conscious decision in taking the direction it has. WT have also explained that decision and why it has been made. The only imbroglio rests with RF in how he chooses to react to the decision and with the media continuing to speculate about motives, thus stirring the pot.

• W

• Banned

@jirskyr:

So whether it’s right or wrong has no real impact on the outcome - JT can omit Farah from the team for as long as he is head coach, and so long as Farah gets paid his monies, there’s not much his team can do apart from wage this media war.

The bolded line is the interesting point that you make. Do you think Mascord is on Robbie’s team ? Do you have any proof that Robbie’s team has created this article ?

I also think the article is spot on. This whole thing is more than a little off.

• Banned

@Nelson:

Steve Mascord needs a dictionary, I don’t think he understands what cynicism is or what disingenuous means.

Here we go the grammar inspector at it again.
    Mr Bean is no coach.

• Banned

@Longhorn:

@Nelson:

Mr Bean is no coach.

I think we can fairly state that JT is a poor manager of a footy club. If this is about getting rid of Robbie it shows a lack of integrity. If it is about choosing the best team then it is a poor decision.

It’s also been poorly handled since last year. JT isn’t the only one to blame here though. Robbie hasn’t handle it well either.

I’ve never been a big Robbie fan but I think he is copping it too harshly at the moment and the club is acting unprofessionally.

• @Longhorn:

@Nelson:

Mr Bean is no coach.

I didn’t say anything about his use of grammar. Off to the dictionary with you too…

• @NT Tiger:

@Nelson:

From my perspective, WT is not in, or does not have, an imbroglio. The club has made a clear and conscious decision in taking the direction it has. WT have also explained that decision and why it has been made. The only imbroglio rests with RF in how he chooses to react to the decision and with the media continuing to speculate about motives, thus stirring the pot.

I thought she was a singer or somefink…. 😐

and how is the club trying …

to dispose of Farah without his full financial entitlements

???

• @innsaneink:

@NT Tiger:

@Nelson:

I thought she was a singer or somefink…. 😐

and how is the club trying …

to dispose of Farah without his full financial entitlements

???

If they are trying to provoke a breach that would give grounds for termination.

• @innsaneink:

[……imbroglio…
    I thought she was a singer or somefink… :

Indeed, a very muddled, confused singer, ……or somefink

• @NT Tiger:

@innsaneink:

[……imbroglio…

I wonder where she stands on the farah/taylor saga. Probably torn.

• @gallagher:

@NT Tiger:

@innsaneink:

[……imbroglio…

Probably gets a Shiver thinking about the whole thing.

• @Cultured Bogan:

@gallagher:

@NT Tiger:

@innsaneink:

[……imbroglio…

Probably gets a Shiver thinking about the whole thing.

Ha.
    I’m glad i don’t know more of her songs.

Recent Topics