Team List R22 - NYC v Cowboys..

• ForumSupporter

Holden Cup Team Announcement: Round 22

Dan Talintyre

Tue 2nd August, 04:30PM
    A A

Team List R22 - NYC
    Wests Tigers NYC Holden Cup Coach Willie Peters has named his team to take on the North Queensland Cowboys this Sunday, August 7 at Leichhardt Oval.

Kickoff for the match is at 1:45pm as Wests Tigers look to bounce back from a last start defeat to the Parramatta Eels and keep their hopes at a top four finish this year alive.

Peters has named a similar side to the one that went down in close fashion to the Eels last weekend, with the key change that of young gun hooker Jacob Liddle, who returns to the team after being promoted to the Club’s Intrust Super Premiership team.

His inclusion sees Jack Wheelhouse move to lock and Lenny Sauni to the bench, while Toa Mata’afa comes into the centres for Jesse Jackson with Roman Ioelu on the wing.

North Queensland come into Sunday’s game on the back of two straight wins, and currently sit second on the Holden Cup ladder — five points ahead of Wests Tigers.

See Wests Tigers Holden Cup team named to take on the Cowboys this Sunday below!

Sunday afternoon footy returns to Leichhardt Oval when we take on the Cowboys!
    WESTS TIGERS HOLDEN CUP

1. Daniel Roberts
    2. Roman Ioelu
    3. Toa Mata’afa
    4. Tony Tali
    5. Obed Karwhin
    6. Veiru Mapesone
    7. Thomas Bartley
    8. Ray Stone
    9. Jacob Liddle
    10. Taniela Paseka
    11. Jakob Giles
    12. Mark McCormack
    13. Jack Wheelhouse (capt.)

Interchange:
    14. Daniel Peck
    15. Lenny Sauni
    16. Trent Pye
    17. Rhys Sciglitano
    18. Siaosi Nasilai

Coach: Willie Peters

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/08/02/holden_cup_team_anno.html

• Still missing a lot of grunt and strikepower in the forwards. Our depth is good, but gee we would be hard to stop at full strength. Cows will be tough to beat.

• Obviously we aren’t playing our full strength side with players in Intrust and 1st grade but i hope we get them together before the semi’s or they won’t have gelled properly. I think JJ needs a few games to get some metres in his legs.

• @Tiger Tim:

Obviously we aren’t playing our full strength side with players in Intrust and 1st grade but i hope we get them together before the semi’s or they won’t have gelled properly. I think JJ needs a few games to get some metres in his legs.

But the NSW cup side is top 4 and will play finals also… It will be intresting to see where people play in the finals. If we decided to stack the u20’s i think we would give the title a decent crack again.

Just out of interest who is in 1s grade this week. I know JJ and Liddle have been there at times throughout the year, is there anyone else that qualifies?

• @Bob:

@Tiger Tim:

Obviously we aren’t playing our full strength side with players in Intrust and 1st grade but i hope we get them together before the semi’s or they won’t have gelled properly. I think JJ needs a few games to get some metres in his legs.

But the NSW cup side is top 4 and will play finals also… It will be intresting to see where people play in the finals. If we decided to stack the u20’s i think we would give the title a decent crack again.

Just out of interest who is in 1s grade this week. I know JJ and Liddle have been there at times throughout the year, is there anyone else that qualifies?

This year we are competitive in all grades but between the 20’s and Intrust i’d prefer to see the 20’s side stacked with players.

We don’t have any 20’s players in 1st grade this week but with the experience they have from playing against men should hold them in good shape for the semi’s.

• IMO we should play Liddle in Intrust Cup every week from now on. He’s going to be paying NRL come round 1 next season. Sure, he can dominate in NYC like a hot knife through butter, but he can also already dominate at NSW Cup level.

Man of the match last weekend. Carving up a very, very strong forward pack full of NRL players. Due to cap issues that’s the best way we can help him develop for now.

If that means benching Cherry, Marshall King, or whomever then that’s what we’ve got to do.

Likewise JJ gets little benefit playing NYC. If we can build great depth for first grade by having a successful NSW cup side then that can only be good for the club - as long as players see an opportunity on the horizon.

• 9’— Roman Ioelu adds the simple two from in front to give our boys an early lead. Nice start, as we lead the Cowboys 2-0.

• 14’— Cowboys try. The visitors spread the ball wide & Nathan Trail goes over in the corner. Bourke converts. Our boys trail 6-2.

• 27’— TRY TIME! Paseka with a HUGE run close the line, beats three defenders and crashes over next to the posts. 6-6, KTC!

• 28’— Ioelu converts from just beside the posts. We take the lead 8-6 in this one.

• 33’— DEFENCE! The boys hold up Tutavake on the last as he looked all but certain to score. Changeover. Still 8-6 our way.

• 37’— TRY TIME! From the scrum win, Roberts draws in Carroll and finds Obed Karwhin out wide who crosses in the corner!

• 39’— Ioelu misses from the sideline. One minute left in the first half with our boys leading 12-6!

• Halftime in our #HoldenCup game and we lead the second-placed Cowboys 12-6 at the break!

• 40’— Back underway for the second half of today’s #HoldenCup game and we’re on the attack right away after Liddle forces an error!

Recent Topics