Doggone

• hopefully i will find some good souls on this forum who will agree with me.
    i feel very strongly about the proposed ban on greyhound racing.
    i oppose the ban for the sake of those honest australians whom form a core of the greyhound racing industry.i feel for the people who will lose their livelihood and or their social outlet due to this ban.

cruelty to animals should never be tolerated of course. i am a dog lover and a punter.but its not about punting.
    i believe the social costs to our society far outweigh the reasons for the ban.

regional nsw is dependent on a few industries. a local dog food cannery employs 11 people.where do these 11 people go with no employment,the village and local services will be diminished and disadvantaged.the local unemployment cues will be even longer.
    mr baird and band of doogooders ,have you really thought through these consequences for regional australia.?if the state elections were next week,bairds government would be gonskiis.
    regional towns like lismore,coonamble and moss vale have greyhound tracks which employ people.they also give honest australians the opportunity to race their dogs and mix socially .social interaction is important for mental health.
    anyway,i think the whole thing is unaustralian.
    thats what i reckon.

• All too easy to wipe the whole thing instead of trying to find those that do the wrong thing and punish them, many honest people involved in this industry will suffer due to this knee jerk reaction

Ive enjoyed many a good night out at Wenty park

• I own a greyhound as a pet & I agree with you eyewonder. All they have to do is strengthen the laws pertaining to the welfare of the dogs.Anyone found to be harming the dogs should be banned for life and prosecuted.

• With a State Government controlled by the religious far right banning Greyhound racing and the ridiculously harsh lockout laws are what you will get.Hard to see how the Liberal party publicity machine, the Daily Telegraph can reconcile this when they are always on about supporting the battlers.

• What happens to all the dogs that don’t make successful racers or retire? There must be hundreds of then each year.
    Serious question.

• they go to the meat works.
    just like slow horses do.
    its an industry,just like horse racing.

• @eyewonder:

they go to the meat works.

That’s pretty awful then. But i feel for the people who have made a living from it and the gov close down just like that. Surely regulation could have been a better solution.

• @eyewonder:

The state government turns a blind eye to horse racing and the consequences of slow race horses. The horse racing is too much of a big revenue item which pours a lot more money into State coffers than greyhound racing ever could.

• Here’s the problem for me. There is an inherent incentive for people to cheat where there is a benefit for doing so. Live baiting is undeniably an effective or at least a highly perceived form of cheating in greyhound racing. There is no way for testing for this form of cheating and policing of this aspect is not realistic given the geographical spread of the participants, relatively small number of enforcement officials and relative ease of concealment.

So if the above is true and I personally believe it is, there is no practical way to eliminate live baiting and for that reason alone I don’t how greyhound racing can continue. And that’s before you consider the “wastage” aspect.

• i think baird would be too reticent to have ago at horse racing as there are too many rich people involved in horse racing.
    i love a punt on the horses,but let there be fairness to all.
    isnt their cruelty involved in breaking a horse in?
    isnt their cruelty in flogging a horse with a whip down the straight.?
    and the slow ones still go to the meat works.

• @eyewonder:

Some of them go to laboratories for animal testing. Some if not many of them are killed using varying degrees of cruelty and then disposed of as cheaply as possible. I’d be surprised if many end up as meat for consumption. What would the market be?

• @gallagher:

What happens to all the dogs that don’t make successful racers or retire? There must be hundreds of then each year.
    Serious question.

I know Australia ‘exports’ Greyhounds to China. After 3 races if they don’t get a result they are put down, pretty sad imo.

• Banned

On average the greyhound industry kill 11 dogs a day, close to 5,000 a year. Put simply I don’t think the dogs would chase consistently without a kill so the industry would go down any way. I went to tertiary education financed on the back of greyhound racing bets so I have always had a soft spot for them and a mate had good dogs that I won a fortune on. I think it would almost be impossible to police out the cruelty of culling slow dogs and the live kills. My mate told me how they would pull out the nails of the cat’s paws so the dog could not get scratched when attacking them. Not that I like cats at all. IF Farah’s time is up then surely greyhound racing time is also up

• yossarian i dont know what the percentage would be.

but there is a dog food cannery near my town which employs 11 people.
    im not one of them though.

i suppose if there is no greyhound industry it prevents unneccesary cruelty.
    it depends on what you see as more important.
    society changes,maybe i have to as well.

• The Greyhound industrie has had plenty of time to do the right thing in regards to protocols .

Agree not all operators would be doing the wrong thing , but there’s been overwhelming evidence of systematic cruelty in the industrie.
    I say ban it .

Recent Topics