The Greatly Underrated Aaron Woods

• Some months ago I noticed that our defence fell apart whenever the big fella left the field. It was only after this that I started to watch him closely in defence, and then I realised why.

Not only does he have a presence in defence, but he also controls the ruck very well, and never switches off. This is no mean feat for a big man. Many similar players can be stepped inside when tired, but not Woodsy. All of the easy metres are gained away from the ruck, or when Woodsy is off the field.

With defensive efforts improved elsewhere, his effort is less noticeable, but watch him in defence, and how to tends to stay on his feet and keep the opposition honest. Add to that his metre eating feats, footwork and go forward in his attack, and his leadership, and that makes him the best prop in the game at the moment.

Teddy, Moses and Nofo are all playing fantastic at the moment, but without that great forward effort, that would be far more difficult.

And on a final note….

WOODSIEEEEEEEEE!!!

• Banned

Is Woodsie an underrated defender?
    I certainly wouldnt have thought so.
    He is no enforcer but has always done his job defensively to a very high standard.

• Banned

I reckon he has underperformed for us this year but he has started to really pick it up the last couple of weeks. He has been great.

You also should have mentioned his ball playing. He set Sue up for a try and he does a lot of little plays like that.

• I really don’t want to take anything away from this great man.

But he does flounder on the ground to often try to milk penalties. And the refs see this. So when the opposition does try and slow him down and lie on him the refs are reluctant to blow the Penalty. Try the milk sometimes, not every time he has the ball.

Still thinks he is the man.

• True, he’s not an enforcer, but he’s more effective defending the way he does. He got pinged once yesterday for holding a smidge too long, but it’s control he gives to the team that is underrated.

His offence speaks for itself. Great footwork for a big man.

• @coolcat:

I really don’t want to take anything away from this great man.

But he does flounder on the ground to often try to milk penalties. And the refs see this. So when the opposition does try and slow him down and lie on him the refs are reluctant to blow the Penalty. Try the milk sometimes, not every time he has the ball.

I have noticed this as well. I’m not sure when it started but he rarely gets a quick play the ball because he is trying to get penalties. It has also cost him a few errors recently because they are reluctant to give him penalties anyway.

• Banned

@Bones:

@coolcat:

I have noticed this as well. I’m not sure when it started but he rarely gets a quick play the ball because he is trying to get penalties. It has also cost him a few errors recently because they are reluctant to give him penalties anyway.

Woods is our man. Our number 1 forward and still so young. But Woodsy even when you deserve a penalty you wont get it because your playing for it in every tackle. Your also slowing the play ball down by trying to get that penalty. Big runs and quick olay the balls will get our set going everytime.

But on another note, seriously standing ovation for our main man lawrence. Who would have thought he would turn into the amazing forward he has become…Our whole forward pack led by woods stood, our central defence is amazing. Go you good thing.

• @Bones:

@coolcat:

I wish he would get this crap out of his game. The side would benefit more if he just tried to get to his feet and play the ball. The refs have been onto him for at least a month now and the “milking” backfires more often than it pays of as to do we get a penalty or does the ref rule lost ball.

He is amazing to watch because he runs very upright, he runs at a mediocre pace but defensive side struggle to hold him and he always gets over the advantage line.

• I wouldn’t say he’s underrated. I knew he would play for Australia the first time I saw him play as an 18 year old. What he has been able to do this year is not try and make 2 hitups every set like he has done in previous seasons when our forward pack has struggled. The continued development of Seumanufagai and Sue, and the arrival of Grant means the workload is more evenly shared and Woodsy also gets to do more ball playing at the line as a result. You normally expect front rowers to just cart it up but Woods passes at the line a lot which causes that moment of hesitation in the opposition.

• Banned

@Bones:

I’m not sure when it started but he rarely gets a quick play the ball because he is trying to get penalties. It has also cost him a few errors recently because they are reluctant to give him penalties anyway.

I’ll tell you exactly when it started….when he began playing Origin. Sides with winning mentalities strive for quick play the balls to get a roll on… sides with losing mentalities try to get a legup through milking penalties.
    He has adopted their losing mentality of attaining field position through appealing to the ref (ala Bird, Gallen, Ennis etc…) rather than roll the sleeves up and earn it the hard way - as he used to. It is a weakness he needs to work on.

• @stevetiger:

I reckon he has underperformed for us this year but he has started to really pick it up the last couple of weeks. He has been great.

You also should have mentioned his ball playing. He set Sue up for a try and he does a lot of little plays like that.

Because he is so hard to tackle (normally 3 defenders), it opens plenty of space for the forwards around him. But, he doesn’t overplay it. His early ballplay has improved heaps this year.

• He used to be criticised for making uncleab tackles, which he still kind of does, but he doesn’t really miss tackles or get beaten physically.

I agree w OP that his physical presence in the middle makes such a difference. And considering all the talent in the Cowboys pack, we totally owned then yesterday.

• I was in line with our try line when the Cowboys were attacking. He controls the middle of the ground so well. Every opposition team knows there is no weakness there. Couldn’t of said that of the Tigers pre Woods

• I don’t think Woods is underrated. In fact, I think he has a prominence (SOO starting prop) and position (Captain WT) that is flattering for him by comparison to other props in the game.

He is great at what his strengths are, that is; honest, solid, committed carrying the ball up - with the usual step at the line, drive with the legs, pivot to go ass first through the ruck and occasional offload. He is tireless in defence and as brave as anyone out there. But, that’s it. And, if he didn’t have © beside his name, I would rate him more highly.

• @Bones:

@coolcat:

We better all bash woodsy for trying to milk penalties like another player constantly gets drilled for trying to get penalties by running into the markers…

Recent Topics