TIGERS EYE NEW NO.9

• Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor is on the lookout for another hooker to join their ranks as Robbie Farah’s expected exit from the club gains momentum.

Farah is strongly tipped to join South Sydney next season while current No.9 Dene Halatau will retire at the end of the year and fringe hooker Manaia Cherrington will join Cronulla.

This has opened the door for Sharks back-up Matt McIlwrick to link with the Tigers.

While Michael Ennis will hang up the boots at the end of the year, the Sharks are stacked with hooking options.

This means McIlwrick, 25, will leave The Shire at the end of the year and has been in talks with the Tigers.

Matt McIlwrick during Cronulla training.
    Matt McIlwrick during Cronulla training.
    Source: News Corp Australia

After starting his NRL career with Canberra in 2012, McIlwrick has enjoyed stints with the Roosters and Sharks.

The Tigers have NYC gun Jacob Liddle tied up until the end of 2018 and Matt Ballin on contract for another season but with 19-year-old Liddle still maturing and Ballin recovering from another knee injury, McIlwrick would provide great cover.

McIlwrick has made two appearances in the NRL this year, his most recent a 46 minute stint against Canberra last week.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/tigers-eye-new-hooker-eels-rebuild-plan-whats-next-for-benji-marshall–nrl-market-watch/news-story/e872da5bd6ac6c5d9e0573e6c580f122

• Banned

25 year old whl i have no idea about. Doesn’t sound good to me.

• ForumSupporter

I feel for Daniel Mortimer now…

Damn you Market watch and your flip flops…

• Where’s Cherrington?

• That doesn’t sound great… If true, hopefully we get him very cheap, Ballin recovers from injury and just alternates with Liddle next season and we never have to use him. We do need another hooker to cover but just hope we don’t need to use it.

• This would be a great option for us.

We need a solid, cheap back up half that can play in NSW Cup, or fill in NRL for Ballin as required.

We’re losing Farah, Cherrington and Halatau next season. Of course we’ll need to sign another hooker!

He’s got some experience, solid in defence and a decent attacking game too. He was very solid against us for Newtown when Robbie played in nsw cup. He could do a job for us in either grade, while obviously not being first choice.

If not him, which other hookers on minimum wage with NRL experience do you all suggest we target to be our 3rd choice hooker?

• Dont know anything about this bloke, but at 25 years and bugger all first grade it doesn’t fill me with much confidence.

Still not sure if or why we haven’t targeted Damian Cook.
    With Robbie most likely going to the Rabbits, it would make sense that some deal could be done as he’s been lingering in reserve grade for the bunnies.

• @Balmain Boy:

This would be a great option for us.

We need a solid, cheap back up half that can play in NSW Cup, or fill in NRL for Ballin as required.

We’re losing Farah, Cherrington and Halatau next season. Of course we’ll need to sign another hooker!

He’s got some experience, solid in defence and a decent attacking game too. He was very solid against us for Newtown when Robbie played in nsw cup. He could do a job for us in either grade, while obviously not being first choice.

If not him, which other hookers on minimum wage with NRL experience do you all suggest we target to be our 3rd choice hooker?

Kurt Baptiste would be better (although not bottom dollar) but after him McIwrick is probably just about the next best option. He’s got about 30 NRL games under his belt over the last 4 or 5 years and he’s done a decent job when given an opportunity.

He’d be a better option than Mortimer in my view. He wouldn’t be any worse at hooker and would be cheaper due to his lack of utility value, surname and the fact he’s never had a standout season.

If the difference was less than $75K I’d have a crack at Baptiste though.

• @The Tooth:

Dont know anything about this bloke, but at 25 years and bugger all first grade it doesn’t fill me with much confidence.

With Robbie most likely going to the Rabbits, it would make sense that some deal could be done as he’s been lingering in reserve grade for the bunnies.

Cook is under contract and is now getting selected ahead of McInness. If Souths are actually signing Farah then Cook would make a better bench option for them than McInness as he’s got more impact about him and greater utility value (can cover the back line).

• @Nelson:

@The Tooth:

Dont know anything about this bloke, but at 25 years and bugger all first grade it doesn’t fill me with much confidence.

Cook is under contract and is now getting selected ahead of McInness. If Souths are actually signing Farah then Cook would make a better bench option for them than McInness as he’s got more impact about him and greater utility value (can cover the back line).

And McInness is on 2-3 times as much as Cook.

He’ll go to Dragons and Cook will stay as backup for the Bunnies

• I love how people suggest we sign in form first grade players as a back up.

Right now we don’t have any salary cap room so I’ll settle for someone who can tackle well and fit in with our structures in first grade if required.

• @Balmain Boy:

@Nelson:

@The Tooth:

And McInness is on 2-3 times as much as Cook.

He’ll go to Dragons and Cook will stay as backup for the Bunnies

Yeah that seems likely. Rein should’ve signed a contract somewhere earlier this year when he managed to string 3 decent games together for the first time in his career…

• @Nelson:

@The Tooth:

Thanks, I just found it strange that he was in reggies whilst McInness was in firsts. I rate Cook above McInness so thought Cook might be on the outer for some reason.

• A solid defender who can pass off the ground is all we need for backup.
    Liddle, Ballin and JLJ/Rankin can all play there

• We will need to sign someone for NSW cup next year so a guy with 30 NRL games under his belt and can step up if required is about all we can hope for.

Recent Topics