Time to Give Credit to JT?

• I hope this thread doesn’t get deleted for being repetition of a theme because I don’t think a topic has been headed by this question before or really focused on the overall worth of Jason Taylor’s coaching.
    I have to admit that, last year and earlier in the season, I was a very harsh critic of JT. I lambasted his team selections, found many of his on field strategies baffling and cringed at his nondescript post match addresses. However, I am starting to believe that he is molding this team into an excellent first grade side. The performance against the Cowboys was the best we have seen under his tenure as it showcased equally high levels of defense, offense and discipline against a quality, full strength top four team. And to anyone who doubted the team’s harmony or self belief, both were there in spades on Sunday.
    I believe a lot of this improvement can be attributed to Taylor. Sure there is significant talent there and the players are learning through first grade experience but I believe that JT is also learning to become an effective first grade coach. What do you fellow posters think?
    p.s. Please, let’s keep Robbie out of this discussion.

• He deserves it.
    He has taught us finally to play structured football in which to compete.
    He learnt from Trent Robinson and it is starting to show.

• Banned

Yes he can sing….Justin Timberlake

• Banned

I still find a little premature - give a few more weeks to see consistency. I don’t expect to see that intensity week after week to be able to rattle classy opposition. It was like they were on pep pills - jokin

• Credit where credit is due.
    When he was given the job in the first instance I have to admit to being slightly on the “pasty faced scarecrow” side of the fence but I figured he had to be given a go. I can’t say that I have believed in everything that Taylor has done and a couple of his decisions have downright baffled me. I reckon though that he has done what he said he was going to do and has now developed WT into a competitive team. Full credit to him and the other coaching staff. This hasn’t happened by chance!

• @Byron Bay Fan:

I still find a little premature - give a few more weeks to see consistency.

Yep,our RHS defence is the key in the coming games,if they don’t number up we’re in big trouble again.JT didn’t have the Benji problem that Potter had but he moved quickly,with the backing of the Board, to sort the RF problem.It will make it a lot easier for the next Coach when JT gets chopped but he’s done a Brian Smith on the Club which he should be given credit for.

• I was anti JT for a while. At first because of the treatment potter copped and later because we still sucked.

He has earned my respect, i can’t say i want him here beyond next year, but a top 4 finish would change that.

My biggest issue is that off field dramas and weird selections have been more important to some fans than actual results. I only care about results, I’m sick of trying hard and losing. I’m sick of our fans making excuses when we win. You either get two points or you don’t. I have to say overall he gets a pass, and on his last few assessments a distinction.

• In my case the jury is still out on JT, however more performances like last Sunday’s will sway me more towards keeping him beyond next season (even though the 60-6 drubbing by Canberra is still fresh in my mind)!! Any case let’s see how the Tigers perform over the next month with their season on the line.

• Banned

Had you asked me this question 2 months back i would have firmly replied he couldnt train a dog to squat.

Since then he has done some good things here like letting the halves to play football rather than OzTag and tactical strategy such as using Farah off the bench was inspired.

However, when its all said and done he has to go and let a real coach take over. He finally has them pointing forward but I don’t trust him to take them to the next level.

• @Byron Bay Fan:

I still find a little premature - give a few more weeks to see consistency.

We’ve won 7 of our last 10 games. That’s consistency in results, which is all that matters.
    I’ve given him loads of stick, and still get perplexed by certain things, but of course he deserves credit. The team is showing actual quality rather than potential.

• @stryker:

Had you asked me this question 2 months back i would have firmly replied he couldnt train a dog to squat.

Since then he has done some good things here like letting the halves to play football rather than OzTag and tactical strategy such as using Farah off the bench was inspired.

However, when its all said and done he has to go and let a real coach take over. He finally has them pointing forward but I don’t trust him to take them to the next level.

The hardest part is getting them going in the first place and there are signs that he’s managed to do that. If he can finish off the season well with them then it shows he’s got a good thing going with this squad of players. They’re playing well within the coach’s preferred style of play. Parachuting in a “real coach” is no guarantee of success. They might have a different style that just won’t fit as well with our squad notwithstanding their reputation. They might want to stuff around with the squad to get it to suit their preferred style. It would just open up a whole new bag of excuses for delaying success at the club.

• @stevied:

What do you fellow posters think?

I think Pascoe and the board should extend his contract to 2018.

• Way too early … Let’s give credit for a top 8 finish if and when achieved.

• He’s done a great job this yr. Great for someone who supposedly only had 6-8 weeks to get results or he was gone. Then he was supposed to have been a day or two away from the axe after the Raiders game. 5 days after that, we came out and won (having lost Moses walking down the tunnel no less) and this side has not looked back since.

Something that never gets praise is our mental toughness. It started with our short turnaround after the Raiders game where we came out and gave it to Souths, and its culminated in the last month during the Farah circus. It would be fair to say JT taking the stance agsinst Farah put the side under pressure either by design or accident. The media and even some of our own supporters have been waiting for us to slip up so they can have a dig, but they haven’t slipped up. This team looks as hungry and as motivated as i’ve ever seen them. And i ask, whose job is it to instill these traits into the players?

• @Knuckles:

Way too early … Let’s give credit for a top 8 finish if and when achieved.

What probably needs to be considered is that he is still relatively cheap. The club would still have the upper hand in negotiations with him at this point in time so offering a one year extension, perhaps with a marginal increase, would provide stability both in coaching staff and costs.

If they make the finals this season after the transitional factors that have occurred and this time next season the club is in a better position on the ladder, Taylor’s value will be significantly higher.

Recent Topics