Tony Williams charged with Drink Driving...

Manly star charged with drink-driving

Manly winger Tony Williams is facing a possible suspension from the NRL club after being charged with drink-driving early Monday morning.

Williams was charged with mid-range drink-driving after allegedly blowing 0.106 - more than twice the legal limit - when pulled over on the Cumberland Highway in Smithfield at 3am on Tuesday morning.

Williams’ licence was immediately suspended and he will face Fairfield Local Court on May 3.

The Sea Eagles have yet to make a decision on whether Williams will be in the line-up for Monday’s clash with Melbourne at Etihad Stadium.

Sea Eagles chief executive Graham Lowe described Williams’ actions as inexcusable.

“It’s very regrettable, we’re very ashamed of it,” Lowe said.

"He hasn’t been suspended yet … we haven’t considered anything yet.

"We’ve got a protocol we go through and we’ll discuss the options then.

“It’s absolutely inexcusable.”

Williams, 21, joined Manly at the start of last season after being lured from Parramatta on a big-money offer.

Poor form and a serious hamstring injury limited him to just 12 games in 2009 but he has started 2010 in good form for the Sea Eagles.

© 2010 AAP

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/manly-star-charged-with-drinkdriving-20100413-s6w2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gooooooseeee

You also need to have half a brain and not get behind the wheel

I don’t understand how some people can be so stupid and selfish. If you know you are going to get drunk then organise another way to get home.

@ron burgandy:

good on him, you have to cut loose every now and then

You are kidding aren’t you ron?

We are talking about Drink Driving here mate

@Kaiser:

@ron burgandy:

who hasnt been there before kaiser, legally he was over the limit doesnt mean he was drunk and dangerous, those big islanders can handle alcohol better then the skinny fella at the pubs on a saturday night.

you know how many beers you have to have to give that reading? 3 schooners in about an hours time

Graham Lowe summed it up best. It’s inexcusable.

@ron burgandy:

@Kaiser:

@ron burgandy:

who hasnt been there before kaiser, legally he was over the limit doesnt mean he was drunk and dangerous, those big islanders can handle alcohol better then the skinny fella at the pubs on a saturday night.

you know how many beers you have to have to give that reading? 3 schooners in about an hours time

You know how many people die from idiots drink driving

Hardly the type of issue to be laughing over. It’s a serious offence and could have had serious consequences. Those making light of the situation really need to take a good look at themselves.

@willow:

Hardly the type of issue to be laughing over. It’s a serious offence and could have had serious consequences. Those making light of the situation really need to take a good look at themselves.

u see my previous comment

and i was laughing at ron not the story

@ron burgandy:

I may be wrong but I had always assumed that the bigger you are, the more blood you have in your body. Since the limit is a blood alcohol limit, this would mean you need more alcohol to get to the limit if you are bigger. That’s why they say females (generally smaller than males) need fewer drinks to go over the limit.

Lets not hang the bloke.

Be interesting to see the sentence he cops as compared with Langer

@ron burgandy:

This is hardly an issue to have such a flippant attitude about mate. My uncle has been stuck in a wheelchair for the last 18 years because some dopey [censored] ran him down drink driving. He can barely communicate and can’t do anything for himself.

I don’t care how big or little you are, there’s a reason why such a strict limit is in place for drink driving. It doesn’t take too many beers before you get to the stage where your motor skills aren’t as sharp as they should be to be doing activities that require you to be at your sharpest. I feel like decking every Derek I see at my local doing the old “I’m awwwwwight ta dwive” before doing a pretty ordinary beeline out of the place.

It doesn’t matter whether you’re Tony Williams, Alfie Langer, Jake Friend or just your average Joe, drink drivers should always be punished to the fullest extent for committing such a stupid and selfish act.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme