Battle of Long Tan 50th anniversary

• On this day in 1966 108 brave warriors of the Australian Army withstood an attack of over 2000 soldiers of the North Vietnamese Army and the Viet Cong in the Long Tan rubber plantation of South Vietnam.
    18 courageous young men of ages of just 19 and 20 died in this battle, a battle which has gone down in folklore as the largest battle of the Vietnam War for Australian soldiers.
    We as a nation should take a moment to reflect on the courage and sacrifice of all soldiers involved in this action, and indeed all men and women of our armed forces who bravely fought and gave their all in the name of duty during the Vietnam War.
    Today is Vietnam Veterans Day, may these Diggers find comfort in their mates and family on this significant day.

• Here, here.

• Well said FTB

• Well said

• Thanks for your service to all who have served in EVERY theatre for our country.

• Banned

I am not over familiar with this battle but a mate of mine went over for it, actually I think he may have been too young to be in that particular battle. But in general the Oz soldiers did not have to be brave, this is the opinion I got from watching my mates videos taken by his platoon. The enemy would be miles away when the planes would go in first and bomb the Buddha out of them. The VC did not have an air force like the Wests. Then we would drag the heavy artillery out and bomb the Christ out of them - from still miles out. They finally the troops would go in with massive fire power with hardly a scratch. big deal. What bugs me is that our boys are all suffering PTSD but what about the other side who copped a hundred times worse than what our boys copped. We napalmed them (another mate used to mix the cocktail), we used herbicide over all their forests to take away their hiding places. Tonnes of birth defects because of this. The bombed their ancient water works. Our bombs left millions of craters that wrecked their farming. Strictly that conflict was none of OZ business. Mohammed Aly lost his title for not participating in a war he did not believe in - good on him. They would have never got me in as a sucker. I warned my mates not to go and later they regretted they went.

• @Byron Bay Fan:

I am not over familiar with this battle but a mate of mine went over for it, actually I think he may have been too young to be in that particular battle. But in general the Oz soldiers did not have to be brave, this is the opinion I got from watching my mates videos taken by his platoon. The enemy would be miles away when the planes would go in first and bomb the Buddha out of them. The VC did not have an air force like the Wests. Then we would drag the heavy artillery out and bomb the Christ out of them - from still miles out. They finally the troops would go in with massive fire power with hardly a scratch. big deal. What bugs me is that our boys are all suffering PTSD but what about the other side who copped a hundred times worse than what our boys copped. We napalmed them (another mate used to mix the cocktail), we used herbicide over all their forests to take away their hiding places. Tonnes of birth defects because of this. The bombed their ancient water works. Our bombs left millions of craters that wrecked their farming. Strictly that conflict was none of OZ business. Mohammed Aly lost his title for not participating in a war he did not believe in - good on him. They would have never got me in as a sucker. I warned my mates not to go and later they regretted they went.

yeah…big deal
    Some of our blokes had no choice

Dont talk about bravery…youd be lucky to find it in the dictionary

• @Byron Bay Fan:

The disgust i felt whilst reading your post cannot be fully conveyed without getting banned from this forum.
    Here’s a suggestion for you: while sitting at your comfy little PC today how about you actually research this battle instead of spouting off about something that you admit you know little about. Then reconsider your totally disrespectful claim that “Aussie soldiers didn’t need to be brave”.
    Some people’s ignorance is sickening.

• Banned

@Fade To Black:

@Byron Bay Fan:

The disgust i felt whilst reading your post cannot be fully conveyed without getting banned from this forum.
    Here’s a suggestion for you: while sitting at your comfy little PC today how about you actually research this battle instead of spouting off about something that you admit you know little about. Then reconsider your totally disrespectful claim that “Aussie soldiers didn’t need to be brave”.

I have always known the basic details of the battle, I can remember it being reported. I did qualify not needing to be brave by words “in general” - yes Long Tan was a battle they did need to be brave in and they did an excellent job. Our boys were the meat in the sandwich of wanting to please Uncle Sam, they were cannon fodder in a conflict having nothing to do with OZ. A few hundred of our boys died in this conflict - IN VAIN. What we did to the Vietnamese was criminal, they should have been war crimes. The combined forces would decimate whole villages. They were crimes against the planet as well. I was active in the Moratorium movement, I used to plaster those recruiting caravans with anti-war posters while the army personnel were in there

The greatest disrespect involved was our government sending over young boys not yet being old enough to vote on whether they should be conscripted or not, or whether we should be involved in that conflict or not. It is similar to child abuse. At the time I lost no VVs mates returning from that conflict, in that they stayed my long term close friends. They realised they were naïve in going over in the first place. Their naivety was abused by politicians and false patriots.

Our boys over there represented our country well I just want it known that they were not representing me - this bod did not want them participating in war crimes.

• @Byron Bay Fan:

@Fade To Black:

@Byron Bay Fan:

I have always known the basic details of the battle, I can remember it being reported. I did qualify not needing to be brave by words “in general” - yes Long Tan was a battle they did need to be brave in and they did an excellent job. Our boys were the meat in the sandwich of wanting to please Uncle Sam, they were cannon fodder in a conflict having nothing to do with OZ. A few hundred of our boys died in this conflict - IN VAIN. What we did to the Vietnamese was criminal, they should have been war crimes. The combined forces would decimate whole villages. They were crimes against the planet as well. I was active in the Moratorium movement, I used to plaster those recruiting caravans with anti-war posters while the army personnel were in there

The greatest disrespect involved was our government sending over young boys not yet being old enough to vote on whether they should be conscripted or not, or whether we should be involved in that conflict or not. It is similar to child abuse. At the time I lost no VVs mates returning from that conflict, in that they stayed my long term close friends. They realised they were naïve in going over in the first place. Their naivety was abused by politicians and false patriots.

Our boys over there represented our country well I just want it known that they were not representing me - this bod did not want them participating in war crimes.

I suggest you give this thread a wide berth.

• Banned

@innsaneink:

@Byron Bay Fan:

yeah…big deal

They had a chance to be conscious objectors - warning you may not find it in the dictionary. The objectors were prosecuted, they did not go with the flow. As Uncle Gough wiped the records of those objectors so all is sweet. I may have been a bit brave when confronting the cops after they had bashed up the demonstrators near me and pushed them through plate glass windows. I regathered the troops and led the charge straight at them, eyeballed them that they would have to bash us again to stop us and they backed off. Cheers

• @Byron Bay Fan:

@innsaneink:

@Byron Bay Fan:

yeah…big deal

They had a chance to be conscious objectors - warning you may not find it in the dictionary. The objectors were prosecuted, they did not go with the flow. As Uncle Gough wiped the records of those objectors so all is sweet. I may have been a bit brave when confronting the cops after they had bashed up the demonstrators near me and pushed them through plate glass windows. I regathered the troops and led the charge straight at them, eyeballed them that they would have to bash us again to stop us and they backed off. Cheers

Don’t you ever dare try and derail a thread like this again. You’re on mod preview from now on. If you want to consciously object - you can find another forum.

• BBF OD’d on THC yesterday I see. What a hero, punching on with police…

I consider myself to be a pacifist but I wouldn’t ever crap on young men who died after being forced by their own government to participate in a war. Staring down the barrel at 2,000 VC, they’re braver men than I. I hope that all of them that travelled there got to pay their respects and reflect accordingly after the Vietnamese government lowballed them at the 11th hour.

• ForumSupporter

There were no V Day heroes in 1973…

Nice post FTB…I’ll not forget…

Recent Topics