THE NEW HALF/HOOKER

• Could Wests Tigers utility Justin Hunt be the ideal man to replace Dene Halatau as the club’s Mr Fix It in 2017?

A noted fullback and winger, Hunt actually played in the halves for his entire junior career.

It wasn’t until he was 21 that he moved to fullback and now he’s experimenting at hooker.

“Talking to JT, he definitely wants me to push my versatility,” Hunt told Private Ryan.

“I’ve even been mucking around a bit at nine so it’s good to have the utility tag but it can bite you a bit.

“Last year I trained at wing and fullback so this is all pretty new to me.”

The 27-year-old joined the club after seven games for St George Illawarra last year but has played just one game in the top grade for the Tigers this season.

Unable to secure a starting spot at NRL level, Hunt recently moved to halfback in reserve grade after spending time filling in for Mitchell Moses or Luke Brooks at training if they were battling a niggle or overworked

“I always could play half and was a half growing up but I hadn’t played there for a long time,” he said.

“I kept pushing JT and (reserve grade coach Paul Stringer) to give me a go in the halves and get my hands on the ball a bit more.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/private-ryan-rabbitohs-recruitment-shuffle-zak-hardaker-game-day-routine/news-story/dad5ac4e751b11e384b24831257d98c8

Rip in.

• Who’s next to try the hooker spot? The ball boy?

• Why is it so damn hard to play a hooker at hooker? Who does Taylor think he is?

I try to be as positive as i can but honesty above all. This blokes out of his mind. Cherrington and Liddle are the two hottest hooker prospects currently in the lower grades. To have both is a blessing.

• Taylor needs a SCAT test ASAP.

• @Milky:

Why is it so damn hard to play a hooker at hooker? Who does Taylor think he is?

I try to be as positive as i can but honesty above all. This blokes out of his mind. Cherrington and Liddle are the two hottest hooker prospects currently in the lower grades. To have both is a blessing.

Lol

• Well now he’s just trolling.

• @TigerWoods:

Who’s next to try the hooker spot? The ball boy?

Can he pass from the ground without running sideways first?

• Defence would be Hunt’s issue.

It’s not that hard to play Hooker in this team. You just need to:

• provide quick ball service to forward, brooks or Moses
    • run from dummy half up the middle with speed
    • tackle

Simple rule to remember for player wanting the position - there are 12 guys on the field that are better than me, the quicker I give them the ball the better.

• I hope this doesn’t eventuate… The article only implies but never says he’s actually going to be playing FG at hooker next season. Let’s hope not!

• ForumSupporter

Hunt has been impressive since switching into the halves …Along with Littlejohn they drive the team well…Has a decent boot both long and short…Would be one of the quicker halves running around too…Not to mention currently on a 12/12 goal conversion streak ,

Not sure how he would go defending in the middle…I think Private Ryan may have taken a few liberties with the Headline to suck a few hits for Fox,

• JT wants a utility with a role… and likes to play 2 hookers, which isnt odd in the modern game.

If Hunt can make a fist of the hooker role, and seeing he can also cover wing, Fb and the halves, it would spell the end of Rankin, whom at present is our utility, and allow us to promote or buy a real winger.

Its not as crazy as it sounds… if memory serves me correctly Cronk started out as a hooker until Belamy thought outside the square, and I have a sneaking suspicion Smith came through the ranks as a half.

We can all remember the good old days of Sheens carrying a utility on the bench who never got a game ball touch. This is JT’s way of allowing a bigger bench.

• Peter Wallace is making a good go at dummy half after years in the halves, I wont knock it till I see it…may well just be creative writing as geo suggests

• @Gary Bakerloo:

Defence would be Hunt’s issue.

It’s not that hard to play Hooker in this team. You just need to:

• provide quick ball service to forward, brooks or Moses
    • run from dummy half up the middle with speed
    • tackle

Simple rule to remember for player wanting the position - there are 12 guys on the field that are better than me, the quicker I give them the ball the better.

Gee you and JT have got the dummy half position all worked. What would amyone else know. You ever watched caneron smith, ennis, hodgson or granville play. Might explain why their teams are in the top 4. Because no they dont make it so obvious to other teams by passing of the ground. By being a major catlyst of most of their attacking raids. They dont do that by just passing off the ground. So actually your number 9 needs to be better than most of the other 12 players for a team to have a chance.

Playing a “dumb” dummy half does not work. The panthers defence was so quick on our halves they had no time to think. BecAuse they knew our dummy half would just pass. But what would the top 4 coaches know, you and JT have the perfect recipe lol.

• Reminds me of when I was coaching an under 10’s team. I selected this kid to play hooker but he wasn’t happy about it. The game couldn’t start on time because he was carrying out his own protest by sitting down on the centre of the half way mark. His mother had to run onto the field to talk him into playing.

• @Geo.:

Not sure how he would go defending in the middle…I think Private Ryan may have taken a few liberties with the Headline to suck a few hits for Fox,

Exactly. Nathan Ryan basically writes clickbait articles for foxsports.
    I’d be amazed if Hunt played any time at hooker next season. I imagine he’ll be playing #1 in firsts the next few weeks.

Recent Topics