Elijah Taylor commits to Wests Tigers until 2018...

• Elijah Taylor has refused to rule out leaving NRL for union if Tigers don’t table new deal
    August 22, 20166:36pm

ELIJAH Taylor has refused to rule out leaving the NRL for rugby union if the Wests Tigers don’t offer him a new deal in the coming weeks.

Taylor has been a revelation at the Tigers since his mid-season switch from Penrith, but he remains a free agent beyond this season.

The New Zealand international has indicated a desire to stay with the joint-venture club, however he is yet to receive a formal offer.

This has opened the door for Taylor to revisit rugby as an option after he considered joining the 15-man code at the start of the season while he was languishing in reserve grade at Penrith.

“If it doesn’t work out here, then obviously I’ve got to go somewhere and rugby is something that has always interested me,” Taylor told The Daily Telegraph.

“I grew up playing it back in New Zealand, so we’ll see what happens here first and then I’ll worry about other things.”

Asked if he had spoken with any Super Rugby clubs, he replied: “I can’t really say.”

In the meantime, Taylor will wait for the Tigers to table a deal before making a decision on his future.

“Hopefully I hear from them soon because I’d like to stay here if I could,” he said.

“It’s something you want to get done, but we’ll see what happens.

“The Tigers are very keen for me to stay, so they are just organising all the paperwork and that stuff.

“It’s a great club, very young, very talented and promising, so it would be good to stay.

“But footy is footy and anything can happen.

“If you asked me last year if I was going to be at the Tigers, I would have said you’re crazy.”

There’s no doubting Taylor wants his future finalised, but he is equally determined to help Wests secure an unlikely finals berth.

On the back of last Friday’s forgettable 30-point loss to Penrith, the Tigers will need to win their remaining two matches against the Warriors and Canberra and hope other results go their way to qualify.

Despite this daunting task, Taylor says his side remain optimistic of defying the odds to play September football.

“We just have to win our games and focus on us,” he said.

“It was a big game out there at Pepper against Penrith last weekend, but defensively we weren’t good enough they put us to the sword.

“We can’t do that again.”

The Tigers’ first challenge will be taming the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium on Sunday.

As a former Warrior, Taylor knows what his fellow countrymen are capable of — especially on home turf.

“I’m expecting a very tough game,” he said.

“They have to win as well to make the finals, so it’s going to be do or die.

“If we can play our best footy then we are a chance, but if we don’t it could be another loss like last Friday night (against Penrith).”

• I sure hope we manage to re-sign him. He’s a hell of a player.

• @avocadoontoast:

I sure hope we manage to re-sign him. He’s a hell of a player.

This is fairly simple

Farah goes and we can sign Elijah Taylor

Farah stays and we loose ET

• All signs are pointing to him staying. If he wasn’t, he’d be gone by now.

• @GNR4LIFE:

All signs are pointing to him staying. If he wasn’t, he’d be gone by now.

except that he hasnt been resigned

• @pHyR3:

@GNR4LIFE:

All signs are pointing to him staying. If he wasn’t, he’d be gone by now.

except that he hasnt been resigned

And hasn’t with anyone else either.

• What about the extra $200,000 we could splash on him if we convince Ballin to retire.

• @tigers2005:

What about the extra $200,000 we could splash on him if we convince Ballin to retire.

Farah’s money will do.

• @tigers2005:

What about the extra $200,000 we could splash on him if we convince Ballin to retire.

On JAC Instagram the other day he had a video of training he showed Matt Ballin on the exercise bike…

• @tigers2005:

Doesn’t work that way. Ballin’s payments count towards the cap. We could seek an exemption for a portion but not all however that would be at the disgretion of injury and NRL

• @Mighty Tiger:

@tigers2005:

Doesn’t work that way. Ballin’s payments count towards the cap. We could seek an exemption for a portion but not all however that would be at the disgretion of injury and NRL

So if he decides in the off season , knee wont cut it, and is retiring next year, why would that count towards our 2017 cap?

• Rumour that the club is shopping Siro around but can’t find any takers even with the club paying $200,000 of his money next year.

• Why don’t we pull a parramatta ( watmouth) and retire ballin due to his chronic knee injury 5 mins for the year at 200k now that’s good money for a 32-33 yr old
    Didn’t Taylor sign this bloke

• Banned

Im very reluctant to not pay overs for this guy. I like him both as a player and a person, he seems a great guy to have at the club. But his fitness isnt outstanding, resulting in some lazy missed tackles, he isnt big and dominant, and other forwards have to take some of his load with tough hit ups (although this is offset a little with Nofo’s involvement getting us forward).

Hope we keep him but for the right price.

• @Born tiger:

@tigers2005:

On JAC Instagram the other day he had a video of training he showed Matt Ballin on the exercise bike…

Shame the Tour de France has been and gone !

Recent Topics