Marshall to be dropped by Dragons: report

Marshall to be dropped by Dragons: report
By AAP
2 hours ago

Benji Marshall’s NRL career may be over, with the veteran playmaker set to be dumped for the final two rounds by the misfiring St George Illawarra.

Marshall will not be named to face Parramatta next Monday, Fairfax Media reports, and the off-contract five-eighth is unlikely to earn a new contract with the Dragons - with either retirement or the English Super League looming as his only likely options. Dragons coach Paul McGregor will reportedly draft in young gun Drew Hutchison to take Marshall’s spot to take on the Eels.

Marshall was at peace on Monday with the likelihood he was facing the axe following a forgettable performance in the Dragons’ heavy defeat to the Sydney Roosters over the weekend. “The Dragons don’t owe me anything. If anything, I owe them for the opportunity to be back here playing in the NRL,” Marshall told Channel Seven.

"There’s a fair chance that I am not going to be here next year, so they need to probably have a look at some of those guys who are. “And if they do, like I said to (McGregor) this morning - if he goes that way I am not going to throw stones.”

©AAP2016

What a piss poor way to end your career. Aren’t the ESL even interested?

Wow, finally he’s talking sense. At least he’s shaken off his delusional thoughts and is admitting that a club doesn’t owe him anything, and in fact realising it’s the other way around.

It’s a shame though, I did like Benji and earlier in his career he was great. I still feel that Sheens ruined him, playing him badly out of position for far too long. That shattered his confidence and he was never the same afterwards… Think how good our team was becoming with Marshall at 5/8 and Robert Lui at halfback - they had a great combination going before all of that was thrown out the window.

Hopefully the ESL or another club can find some value in him.

@Cultured Bogan:

Yep,very sad,but once he lost that speed edge a few years back he was on borrowed time.Except for occasional flashes of brilliance he’s been barely at a 1st grade level for 6 years or more.

@Cultured Bogan:

Apparently hes not interested in the ESL. Maybe doesn’t want to put his career in the media on hold.
Must be kicking himself he didn’t take up the dragons first offer.

i was so thankful at the time, and im still thankful now…imagine if benji had taken the 700k we offered him in 2013. 😮

1.6mil for more of the benji and robbie show. at least 1 if not 2 of brooks, moses and tedesco would have left for sure by 2017

Should have never come back to the NRL once he left. His legacy probably would have whithstood his last yr or 2 of crap and would have been remembered for the player he should have been remembered as. His legacy has been burned to the ground well and truly at the Dragons. How ironic that our two greatest players are currently reserve graders.

At least Marshall got to play his 250th NRL game…

@GNR4LIFE:

Should have never come back to the NRL once he left. His legacy probably would have whithstood his last yr or 2 of crap and would have been remembered for the player he should have been remembered as. His legacy has been burned to the ground well and truly at the Dragons. How ironic that our two greatest players are currently reserve graders.

His legacy will survive. In a decade or two, people will mostly have forgotten the average years, but those scintillating moments will live on.

he could get a deal with fox

@Juro:

Only just… May have been just some good luck there.

Just so good on his day a few years ago but his main weapon was a freakish step backed up by amazing acceleration. Once the acceleration died his step only took him into brick walls. Also had passing skills they were brilliant, but today you have to be able to do a lot more than lay on a great pass.

Like to see him go to a very good side for one year with a great forward pack, just so he might be able to scratch out one last decent year, but O guess that is not going to happen.

Be mad to go the ESL if he can land a good media job

Marshall ‘rested’ for NRL clash with Eels
By AAP
22 minutes ago

Axed St George Illawarra star Benji Marshall has revealed coach Paul McGregor has offered him a farewell in the final game of the NRL season.

The off-contract playmaker has been dropped for Monday’s penultimate-round clash with Parramatta in favour of youngster Drew Hutchison.

The Dragons said Marshall had been rested for the match. However, Marshall said he has been promised a recall the following round. “Mary came to me on Monday and said he had a proposition,” Marshall told News Corp Australia.“He said he wanted to have a look at Drew for next year, but would still bring me back for the final game of the year. And I’m sweet with that - totally understand.”

With Marshall set to leave the club at the end of the year, the Dragons are keen on seeing how Hutchison, who is contracted to the club until the end of 2017, combines with captain Gareth Widdop.

Marshall has not been named for NSW Cup side Illawarra Cutters this weekend in their final regular-season game of the year.

©AAP2016

@Juro:

Not for the club he would have liked to play them with.

Benji has had a reasonable season in terms of try assists, especially from kicks. Widdop has been mostly disappointing, except when scoring tries from Benji kicks!

His response to being ‘rested’ sounds like the usual good-natured and professional role model he has always been. Wishing you luck, Benji, whatever the next move.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.