Brookes wants to test his worth

• Brooks wants to know his worth

LUKE Brooks says he will test his value on the open market before committing to the Wests Tigers long-term.

In an ideal world Brooks would finish his career a one-club player at the Tigers, but the emerging halfback told The Daily Telegraph he wants to consider all options first.

Up to 14 of the NRL’s leading halves come off contract at the end of 2017, including Anthony Milford, Johnathan Thurston, Shaun Johnson and Adam Reynolds.

The NRL also haven’t finalised the new salary cap and Collective Bargaining Agreement for 2018.

Brooks wants to stay — once he knows what he’s worth …
    It’s why Brooks only triggered a one-year option at the Tigers in a bid to discover his worth compared to the NRL’s best playmakers.

“It’s a pretty big decision, so I wanted a bit more time,” Brooks said. “We had the option there for next season, so we thought we’d take it up.

“But (testing the market) is also part of it as well.

“I’m happy at the club at the moment and it would be an ideal situation for me to stay here long-term, but you never what can happen. When that comes around I’ll have to think about it.”

Before sorting out his future, Brooks’ immediate focus is helping the Tigers qualify for an unlikely finals berth.

The joint-venture club must win its remaining two matches against the Warriors and Canberra and hope other results go their way to play September football.

Brooks knows it won’t easy, but he is remaining optimistic.

Brooks struggled on his return from injury.
    “There is still hope, so we’ve just got to control what we can and that’s winning these two last games,” he said.

“If the results go our way then that’s a bonus. We’ve got a big game this week against the Warriors and it’s going to be a tough one.

“Hopefully we put in a good performance, because it’s pretty much do or die footy. We’ve got to get up for it because the Warriors have got a great forward pack, so we’ve got to stop their big boys from getting some momentum.”

After missing rounds 22 and 23 with a knee injury, Brooks is also desperate to make up for lost time. He was disappointed with his return display against Penrith last Friday and is itching to restore order taking on the Warriors on Sunday.

“I wasn’t too happy with my performance on the weekend,” he conceded.

“I didn’t get as many opportunities as I would have liked, but this week hopefully I can have a good game this week and help the boys win the game.”

Tigers fans will no doubt be eager for the youngster the pledge his future.
    The Tigers may be staring down the barrel of not making the finals for the fifth consecutive season, but Brooks believes the club is heading in the right direction.

“I think as a team we know where we want to go and we are getting towards that,” he said.

“Obviously if we don’t make the eight it will be disappointing because that was a goal for us at the start of the year.

“But we are moving towards where we want to get to.”

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/link/4abe37e68db6b750a723218c080a7022?domain=newscorpaustralia.com

• It’s only logical that Brooks, probably Moses as well as Tedesco will test their worth on the open market, that’s what their managers will be telling them to do in any event. Hopefully he sticks around long term.

• And this from a young man that said…" Playing for the Tigers is a dream come true"
    I don’t blame him for looking after his self-interests. We would all probably do the same.
    Footy nowdays is just a business. I just hope we don’t pay overs to keep him.

• Banned

I know they have played together for so long and are mates, but it really is hard to tell if Brooks and Moses actually prefer to play together or apart. I can see one leaving. If saints came in with a big offer to be the main man running the show it would be hard to knock back, if Bellamy called Luke and said “mate we want u to play 6 for a couple of years while u learn off Cooper Cronk before taking over his spot at 7”…well hard to knock that back too. The guidance Cronk could give Luke would be second to none.

I think one will leave. Moses will get offered more money than Luke by another club, but i have a feeling Luke will be the one to leave.

• @willow:

It’s only logical that Brooks, probably Moses as well as Tedesco will test their worth on the open market, that’s what their managers will be telling them to do in any event. Hopefully he sticks around long term.

I understand Tedesco and Moses wanting to test the open market but Brookes with his form and the number of other halves becoming available, I am a bit surprised.
    If he was coming out and playing like Cleary every week maybe so, but at the moment I think he has to pick up his act a bit.
    Having said that it was probably a question thrown at the poor bugger by a reporter having a slow week.

• Seriously though as a Club we have to learn from past mistakes and what got us in this Salary Cap mess where in.
    Luke has every right to test his worth and get the best coin possible, but to be honest I wouldn’t be bothered if we lost him.
    He hasn’t lived up to the hype and I don’t think he will be this Joey Johns prediction….he can’t be worth that much as he averages 6-8 missed tackles per game.
    We can’t be held to ransom, Teddy and Moses should be priorities…build a team around them.
    His Manager is giving him the right advice with what needs to be said in the media.

• Banned

Sorry but I prefer to see him go, is ineffective in many areas as well picks fights in danger zones.

• Brooks should thank his lucky Stars he’s already with a club that thrives on mediocrity .
    If this is going to be an annual event with brooks testing the market , let him go .
    He’s already overpaid IMO .
    JLJ could do Brook’s job on far less coin , the main focus should be on Tedesco and Moses !

• @king sirro:

I know they have played together for so long and are mates, but it really is hard to tell if Brooks and Moses actually prefer to play together or apart. I can see one leaving. If saints came in with a big offer to be the main man running the show it would be hard to knock back, if Bellamy called Luke and said “mate we want u to play 6 for a couple of years while u learn off Cooper Cronk before taking over his spot at 7”…well hard to knock that back too. The guidance Cronk could give Luke would be second to none.

I think one will leave. Moses will get offered more money than Luke by another club, but i have a feeling Luke will be the one to leave.

Depends how the club wants to approach it. We could retain all three if we adopted a Melbourne policy of no frills pack who do their job well and strong young finishers on the edges with a solid hooker who plays high percentage football.

There’s two issues with that in it’s own right: for a club that has a plethora talented juniors, we seem to have trouble in getting them to go to the next level. And if they do, in that Storm type setting, how do you keep replacing the talented ones that the vultures swoop on?

• Couldn’t care less about Brooks to be honest. Moses stocks have sky rocketed this year, while Brooks’ have plataued. The club has to serioualy re-evaluate their position on the halves over the off season. They are much better served signing a journeyman in the halves who can foil Moses and using Brooks money to strenghten the back row and buy a reliable outside back.

• @jctiger:

Up to 14 of the NRL’s leading halves come off contract at the end of 2017, including Anthony Milford, Johnathan Thurston, Shaun Johnson and Adam Reynolds.

The NRL also haven’t finalised the new salary cap and Collective Bargaining Agreement for 2018.

It’s probably not a good year to “test one’s value” given these factors. Large supply of off contract halves, uncertainty around the collective bargaining agreement…

• Don’t get the negativity for Brooks, his stats are pretty good when compared with most other no7. Started the year slowly but was in good form till he hurt his knee. I guess he can only get better and is always going to play a less flashier style of football to Moses. If you had to drop one of the three it probably would be Brooks, but in a ideal would you want to keep the three

• @Gary Bakerloo:

@jctiger:

It’s probably not a good year to “test one’s value” given these factors. Large supply of off contract halves, uncertainty around the collective bargaining agreement…

Yeah definitely.
    All player Managers were well aware of this hence why so many players are off Contract next year.

• If he keeps testing the market, he’s going to end up with a lot less than he thinks he might. I think we’ve seen the best of him and it’s not been all that great.

• @wd in perth:

If he keeps testing the market, he’s going to end up with a lot less than he thinks he might. I think we’ve seen the best of him and it’s not been all that great.

Good summation WD,it bemuses me how well Moses has now adapted to nrl ,yet Brooks seems to have stagnated,he was very much hyped up in the early part of his career yet he still has defensive floors and a bit of uncertainty in his games….I really don’t like to make comparisons to other haves that are still young,however Cleary from the Panthers has made a very good impression in the top grade…

Recent Topics