Why we still have a chance

• Is it just me or have we made more of key moments a bit better in the last half season compared to the 4 years proceeding this? Like Kev knocking the ball out today, or key 40/20s?

Take out the 3 years of success and every season we have had many games where we play better and lose, very few where we clock off and still get the bikkies. This is significant as it shows greater desire to win, and less to look good losing.

We need to get rid of the blow outs next year, we need a goal kicker to step up or sign one, and we need to keep up an attitude that focuses on winning, nothing else. Three simple goals that if met will lead to finals footy irrespective of what happens this year.

• :master: we are still in with a chance because of the Coach JT!
    who under the constraints, has done a fantastic job! Well done Jason Taylor!

• Banned

Old Man Tiger - you have it right. We’ve been making some big plays at critical times.

It’s still out of our hands when it comes to us making the finals but at least we are in it with one game to go.

• We will all have different reasons about why, I credit all the coaching staff and most of the players. But the buck stops with JT, he would have got the blame if we flopped so he has to get the credit for the turnaround.

We still have our share of heart breaking losses, but it is so rare to still be in it in Rd 26 that I’m feeling good, and we were looking like spooners at Rd 8.

• I said in another thread, and i been saying it for months really. This team has a ton of guts and a ton of character. Just when you write them off and start talking about next yr, they jump out of the ground and get you buzzing again.

• Don’t really know what’s different. It might just be as simple as the younger guys being another year older. Perhaps next year will be better again. Great to still be alive with one to go.

• @old man tiger:

Is it just me or have we made more of key moments a bit better in the last half season compared to the 4 years proceeding this? Like Kev knocking the ball out today, or key 40/20s?

Take out the 3 years of success and every season we have had many games where we play better and lose, very few where we clock off and still get the bikkies. This is significant as it shows greater desire to win, and less to look good losing.

We need to get rid of the blow outs next year, we need a goal kicker to step up or sign one, and we need to keep up an attitude that focuses on winning, nothing else. Three simple goals that if met will lead to finals footy irrespective of what happens this year.

Rankin kicked 6/6 today; I assume you want Moses to step up?

• Thanks old man tiger for this thread. The OP is spot on.
    One thing that crosses my mind is the number of times this forum called for on-field leadership over the past few years. Moses’ dominating will to win is dragging this team forward. He’s a natural leader and the team is inspired by that and following.
    Jason Taylor recognised that and removed the obstacle to Moses development. Since then he has developed in leaps and bounds. To me there is now a clear difference in the mental toughness of the team. It is no longer a case of ‘we’re losing lets kick ourselves’ it’s ‘if we pick up the pace, we win’. Taylor deserves a lot of credit for turning this team around.
    I missed yesterdays game as I was on a long distance drive. I picked up the game, just, on the radio (with crap reception) at half time and about the first 7 minutes of the second half. I heard the announcer give the scoreline of 18:12 their way, and I thought; 'good, nothing to defend something to fight for, we can get this. Then I lost reception. A new positive outlook.

• @wd in perth:

Don’t really know what’s different. It might just be as simple as the younger guys being another year older. Perhaps next year will be better again. Great to still be alive with one to go.

A young footie team is like a good bottle of red wine.The longer you let it mature the better the result.There are signs this vintage could be a decent drop.Just need to keep it together

• @ryanda01:

@old man tiger:

Is it just me or have we made more of key moments a bit better in the last half season compared to the 4 years proceeding this? Like Kev knocking the ball out today, or key 40/20s?

Rankin kicked 6/6 today; I assume you want Moses to step up?

I want whoever kicks to be around 80%. Not just a good day here and there. I don’t mind who.

Was very happy for rankin yesterday for the record, but we need consistency

• @NT Tiger:

Thanks old man tiger for this thread. The OP is spot on.
    One thing that crosses my mind is the number of times this forum called for on-field leadership over the past few years. Moses’ dominating will to win is dragging this team forward. He’s a natural leader and the team is inspired by that and following.
    Jason Taylor recognised that and removed the obstacle to Moses development. Since then he has developed in leaps and bounds. To me there is now a clear difference in the mental toughness of the team. It is no longer a case of ‘we’re losing lets kick ourselves’ it’s ‘if we pick up the pace, we win’. Taylor deserves a lot of credit for turning this team around.
    I missed yesterdays game as I was on a long distance drive. I picked up the game, just, on the radio (with crap reception) at half time and about the first 7 minutes of the second half. I heard the announcer give the scoreline of 18:12 their way, and I thought; 'good, nothing to defend something to fight for, we can get this. Then I lost reception. A new positive outlook.

NT moses was great but Woods kept us in the game almost by himself in his opening stint. Some weeks his leadership is weaker but hopefully you can catch a replay because he was dominant in a pressure situation and that has been an issue for us since 2006, our big names would go missing year after year.

On the surface it is all for nothing if the titans win and/or we lose, but winning under pressure is always good for developing players imo.

• @old man tiger:

@NT Tiger:

NT moses was great but Woods kept us in the game almost by himself in his opening stint. Some weeks his leadership is weaker but hopefully you can catch a replay because he was dominant in a pressure situation and that has been an issue for us since 2006, our big names would go missing year after year.

On the surface it is all for nothing if the titans win and/or we lose, but winning under pressure is always good for developing players imo.

Im just about to watch the replay now. Woods is taking the leadership role seriously, I hope he continues to grow in it.

• @GNR4LIFE:

I said in another thread, and i been saying it for months really. This team has a ton of guts and a ton of character. Just when you write them off and start talking about next yr, they jump out of the ground and get you buzzing again.

Yep
    I think we were far from our best yesterday, but we kept coming back at them. Even when we made mistakes, we made up for them with big plays - eg the Naiqama try-saver, Brooks’s tackle on Fusitua at the end and many more.
    We stood up in the big moments and made things happen.

• @old man tiger:

@NT Tiger:

I see what you mean. Woods had a great game, leading from the front. And Sue had a monster game as well. Let’s see more of that against Queanbeyan.

• Woods was enormous. The score when he was on vs the score when he was off….two different games.

Recent Topics