Wests Tigers will roar if they make NRL finals: Mitchell Moses

• Wests Tigers will roar if they make NRL finals: Mitchell Moses
    Chris Barrett - SMH

Wests Tigers hope a first sell-out at Leichhardt Oval in more than four years can help propel them to a playoff berth and five-eighth Mitchell Moses warns they won’t be there “to make up the numbers” if they sneak into the finals.

Not since round 15 of 2012 against the Sydney Roosters, when 20,327 were jammed into the inner-west venue, have the Tigers played before a full house at Leichhardt.

The capacity these days is only 18,600 and it is likely to be reached for the final-round match against Canberra if Jason Taylor’s men are still in the running to land a finals spot come Sunday afternoon.

For that to occur they need North Queensland, themselves seeking a top-four position, to beat Gold Coast in Townsville on Saturday night. If that transpires, the Tigers believe the Leichhardt factor can come into play.

“It will be massive,” Moses said. "It showed in the Cowboys game [when the Tigers defeated North Queensland 26-14 at Leichhardt this month] what a crowd can do, they really got us home and gave us an extra leg. You find that extra energy when having that kick-chase. Hopefully they can do it again this week and we get the win.

“Leichhardt is my favourite place to play at, crowd so close to you, and they get into their footy.”

The Tigers returned from Auckland on Monday after a thrilling win over the Warriors that kept their post-season hopes alive but it wasn’t all smiles. A virus has run through several members of the squad, sidelining Kyle Lovett from the game. Captain Aaron Woods was the latest to have fallen ill.

Also with the team was injured NSW Origin fullback James Tedesco and while there have been suggestions he could make a shock early return from a broken jaw this weekend, it is believed the earliest he could possibly suit up again would be week one of the finals.

The Tigers might be cast by many as also-rans if they make it that far but don’t tell that to Moses, who has emerged as a force for the club this season.

“We’re here to play footy, we’re not here to make up the numbers,” Moses said. “[Sunday is] up there with the most important game I’ve played in first grade. Hopefully the Cowboys get up and put on a show and get away with the win. We’ll just be worrying abut ourselves and Canberra this week, and do some video on what went wrong last time.”

What he is talking about is the 60-6 flogging the Raiders gave to the Tigers in April. While there will be analysis of that footage, the eyes of the Tigers will be glued to the game in Townsville on Saturday. They went through the same exercise with Penrith’s nail-biting win over the Titans last weekend.

“Some of the guys chose not to watch it at all,” Taylor said. “Some of the guys watched it. I found the second half 40 of the longest minutes I’ve endured the way Penrith were dropping the ball, but we can’t control that. All we can do is get ready to play Sunday. Even if we don’t get to where we want to with Sunday’s performance, we want our best performance of the season because playing a team fighting for the top two potentially, and these are the games we want to play in.”

• Banned

We need to beat a really good Canberra team and we need the Cowboys to win. It’s a big ask. I’d love to see it though.

• Only focus should be on the Raiders. I see this game as our gf, and can see the Broncos beating us easily up there, as that’s who we’d most likely play. These last 2 months have been a great springboard for next yr. The confidence a win on Sunday could give us for 2017 would be incredible.

• @GNR4LIFE:

Only focus should be on the Raiders. I see this game as our gf, and can see the Broncos beating us easily up there, as that’s who we’d most likely play. These last 2 months have been a great springboard for next yr. The confidence a win on Sunday could give us for 2017 would be incredible.

Totally agree GNR,its amazing how well this team has developed these last few weeks,put aside all the dramas we have had,these players are really starting to mature and are understanding the NRL structures,they are learning what it takes to be competitive at this level,well done team and coaching staff….best of luck to them in their chase for a finals berth,if they miss out,it still has been a grand performance to make it this far up the ladder this season.

• Moses does a lot of talking doesn’t he for a 20 year old?

• Banned

@tsjonathan:

Moses does a lot of talking doesn’t he for a 20 year old?

Yep. I can see him being on the hate list in a couple of years time.

• Regardless if we make it or not I think it’s been a fair season.
    One of those close losses could have gone our way but no point crying over spilt milk.
    I’m proud of the teams season and look forward to 2017.

• Can’t wait for Sunday, going to be a huge day out.

• We have come a long way since coming 15th last year, really can not see us getting that close to the Raiders, but I also picked us to get beaten last weekend. Love to come 8th and than see if we can jag another win or two, but I think 9th will be the final outcome and to me taking everything into consideration is a great effort, and Taylor and his coaching team deserve a rap

• Banned

We have really turned this season around. We’ve finished the year strongly. I can’t give Taylor a wrap because we should be in the 8 with our squad for sure.

I will state though that Taylor has improved significantly this season.

• @stevetiger:

We have really turned this season around. We’ve finished the year strongly. I can’t give Taylor a wrap because we should be in the 8 with our squad for sure.

Sounds like you’re giving him a wrap?

• Of course we will roar! If we get there then we are a chance - look at Bradbury he won gold at the winter olympics when everyone in front of him fell over.

I see a bit of that in our season, but thats the luck of the draw, it is fair to say that other clubs have not performed but thats footy, if you had of asked me at the start of the season there is no way i would have thought we finish above manly and east? No way of knowing that parra were cheats but thats how the footy gods work!

Here we are with one week to go and if the Cowboys deal with the Titans then our destiny is in our own hands, while it would be hard to come from 8th to win a premiership its still a possibility.

The finals are a whole new ball game they say and each of the 7 clubs will be feeling the weight of expectation as they have already qualified, our boys if they make it will be riding on a high and all us fans will just be happy that we are in the 8 so no pressure and just full on support!

Go Tigers.

• haha this forum changes week to week aye, people were crying murder after the panthers game but a win against a pretty avg warriors side and we’re suddenly a good team

im not arguing one way or the other, i think we’re okay, but its just funny to see how quickly the forum changes its views

• ForumSupporter

@Cultured Bogan:

@stevetiger:

Sounds like you’re giving him a wrap?

That’s steves’ way of saying Taylor should be Coach of the Year…considering how crap he is…

Anything is possible if we can make the 8…the experience alone will bode well for the Club moving forward…

• We certainly have improved in some areas of the game this season - mostly it has been the team spirit and intent that has impressed me. There is a new ‘vibe’ surrounding the team and the younger guys have finally taken ownership - they are a lot hungrier as a group than the Tigers have generally been over recent seasons.
    No disillusions however, we have a long way to go still - we have won less than half our games and we are still around 10th in attack and 14th in defence - which is not really great.
    The main thing is that we as fans have had something to cheer about this year and still have hopes in round 26!!

Recent Topics