Josh Aloiai peformance

• I will get bagged here for this but i am not sold on Josh Aloiai.
    Average minutes for a backrower, yet to see him run a decent line, to often he is too lazy on the inside of Moses and generally is a poor reader in defence (much like our entire right side if defence).

I think the kid played well at the start of the year but generally just needed a break throughout the year.
    His performances over the last month have been bog average and generally don’t him see as the breakout 2nd rower we are need.
    You compare him with James Fisher-Harris and Harris tears him apart every day of the week.
    That is the type of 2nd rower we should be producing through the juniors or looking to recruit.

• I would agree that, overall, he doesn’t make enough impact as a first grade second rower. He had a couple of strong performances a while back but these are few and far between. He has potential and is gaining in experience but, right at the moment he is not quite there. The club has made a decision to persevere with him and to encourage him which is probably not a bad idea, considering our lack of alternatives……

• it’s his first year ever of top grade and he’s played every game so let’s cut him a little slack.

he’s not lazy on the inside of moses at all, they’re starting to build a good combo there. we can’t compare every forward of ours to JFH, trbojevic, cordner etc. the kid is good, i dont mind us persevering with him.

• He’s 20,is recovering from a fractured hip and played 5 weeks with a broken hand. He’ll be better for the experience.

• He’s shown glimpses this season, but still very raw and goes missing too often.
    Needs a lot of improvement to be a starting edge forward in a challenger IMO, but perhaps that’ll come with a proper off season.

• Banned

5.5/10 for his year.
    Could be good, could be average….has a lot of work to do.

• The kid has played every game this year.

More than a pass mark when compared to Siro, Lovett & a few others.

Another good off season and watch the improvement.

• Banned

Light years ahead of Curtis. I would say he is most improved for 2017.
    Give him a chance. Showing more than lolly legs Lawrence too.

• Good kid.Strengthen up in the off season and he could be another Les Boyd.

• He was quite poor in that Raiders game, particularly with his slide defence. His form has definitely slowed down towards the back-end of the year.

But that’s to be expected of a 20 year old forward playing his first full season of first grade. He’ll be better for the experience and come back stronger and fitter next year. I think he has a lot more upside than Lovett and possibly Sironen.

• He played 5 weeks with a broken hand?

Wow, that’s tough.

• I think he’s one of the few that should not be in the firing line at the end of season. Lawrence, Brooks, Lovett, Sirro, Kev, Simona - lets start there. If ever there was someone to be pretty comfortable with after playing every game through injury in his first year, then it’s this bloke.

• For a first-year rookie I think he did fairly well. He’s no SBW but we have more experienced players who have less upside.

Definitely needs to work on his defensive reads, mobility and stamina, but that’s all part of having multiple pre-seasons under his belt.

Also OP and some others seem to have missed the background that tiga4eva notes - Aloiai was signed by Tigers whilst he had a fractured hip and did not have a proper pre-season. I’m not surprised he toiled a little in the final rounds, considering he played every match and was getting 40-60 minutes in each of the last 7 games.

It’s not a great defensive pairing to put him with Moses, but it’s not exactly Aloiai’s fault that Moses is a turnstile.

• @jirskyr:

For a first-year rookie I think he did fairly well. He’s no SBW but we have more experienced players who have less upside.

Definitely needs to work on his defensive reads, mobility and stamina, but that’s all part of having multiple pre-seasons under his belt.

Also OP and some others seem to have missed the background that tiga4eva notes - Aloiai was signed by Tigers whilst he had a fractured hip and did not have a proper pre-season. I’m not surprised he toiled a little in the final rounds, considering he played every match and was getting 40-60 minutes in each of the last 7 games.

It’s not a great defensive pairing to put him with Moses, but it’s not exactly Aloiai’s fault that Moses is a turnstile.

I don’t think he’s ever had a full professional pre-season - missed last year, and previous years would have been with the NYC lot?
    As I said earlier, there’s a lot of improvement to come, and I think he’ll get there (with time).
    The issue is that a raw kid like him is deemed good enough to start games. Not his fault that our backrow options are so awful.

• I think he’s shown enough as a rookie to predict that he will be a top flight NRL back rower. Yes, he does have a lot of work to do but he’ll do it and his game will get better as time goes on. Given that he came straight out of Holden Cup to the NRL, this has been a great year from him.

Recent Topics