Sustainability

• JT spoke about two things when he came here:

1. defence
    2. playing sustainable football

point 1 is there for all to see

2. never quite understood what he meant by that- did he want us to stop playing razzle dazzle? maybe.
    but from what i’ve seen all of this year is that we shoot out of the blocks in the first 20 then get too tired when woodsy/sue leave and shoot ourselves in the foot between 10 minutes either side of half time.

to me, that’s not sustainable football. he keeps going on about this and that type of football doesn’t work in the NRL and trying to make us play the way storm, broncos etc play but the fact is we don’t have the squad that they do. if we try to play to a blueprint of another team, it’ll never work. there was some positivity in the way he used ET at the start and i felt that was something different but every team could see it and again, that one type of play isn’t sustainable.

the very very first thing we need to do is still fix the defence. i really can’t fault the players this year coz to me most of them gave their 100%- there will errors, missed tackles, brain farts but i still believe no player apart from a couple should hang their head in shame.

need a massive improvement next season with half a dozen experienced signings otherwise we’ll be bottom 4.

• We have a young side which will improve naturally next year but I agree that the defence needs fixing along with the goal kicking. Better goal kicking alone would have seen us comfortably in the eight this year. I don’t know who our next defensive coach for next year will be but he will be an improvement.

Half a dozen experienced players for next year won’t happen.

• I would say sustainable football = high percentage football. Earning the right to throw the pill around when you get yourself into good field position.

• Dictionary definition:
    sustainable
    adjective: sustainable
    1.able to be maintained at a certain rate or level.
    2.able to be upheld or defended.

so maybe JT means consistent

• We have not imptoved our defense.
    Most of our attack is gorne.
    Some young players won’t improve that much.

• Taylor has gone very quiet on defence.

At least they sacked Kidwell.

I think he realises now it is not easy to fix and his comments coming into the club were childish.

Hopefully he finds the right can that can help him in this area.

• I agree with the OP that I think he’s trying to get us to play something that isn’t natural to our group which is seriously problematic. Our forward pack isn’t big enough to be a grinding team, we have to take advantage of our assets which includes very skillful halves & a couple of very skillful back-rowers (Taylor, Sironen). Despite this, Taylor seems intent on pushing a game that isn’t our players and hasn’t improved our defence one bit in two years. He can blame Kidwell all he wants, but the entirety of our game is his ultimate responsibility & one side of it hasn’t improved.

• The style we were playing before Taylor came wasn’t good enough to qualify for Semis. I don’t blame him for wanting to change it. I even think losing Farah benefitted and will continue to make us a better side. It’s just some selections and persistence in some players that left me puzzled. It’s our best finish since Sheens left, we’re heading in the right direction

• @Cultured Bogan:

I would say sustainable football = high percentage football. Earning the right to throw the pill around when you get yourself into good field position.

I’m surw this is exactly what he means.
    Low error rate. High completion rate.
    In other words no flick passes 20m from your own line like yesterday

• I think a brown dog would be an improvement on Kidwell.

Surely we can get one cheap.

• @tiga4eva:

The style we were playing before Taylor came wasn’t good enough to qualify for Semis. I don’t blame him for wanting to change it. I even think losing Farah benefitted and will continue to make us a better side. It’s just some selections and persistence in some players that left me puzzled. It’s our best finish since Sheens left, we’re heading in the right direction

Hmm, maybe. Personally I think Taylor’s record at Souths is a worrying precedent:
    2007: 7th (having come last in 2006)
    2008: 14th
    2009: 10th, sacked

At this stage, and granted there’s a long way to go until March 2017, I see zero indication that any of the Tigers’ weaknesses are going to improve next season.

The defence got worse this season - we shipped more points than in 2015. On what basis do we think the trend for 2017 is in the right direction? Oh yeah: a new coach will magically fix everything.

No major signings have been made, and there is no money to add any. We will once again enter a new season squinting to make fringe first graders look like “good depth”. The best new player added for the whole of 2016 was probably Aloai, who wouldn’t get a starting game at two-thirds of the teams in the comp. The bargain basement haul for 2017 might be better - there might be a Tapau in it, for all we know - but that’s nothing but wishful thinking.

Brooks has completely failed to progress and must now be considered a serious risk never to do so. Moses has had some impressive games but folded like a freshly ironed sheet when the pressure went on. In all likelihood 2017 will either be the last season they play together or at least one of them will be an official bust.

Somehow there still seems to be no end in sight of bad capo management. In 2017 we will be paying a reported $750,000 to a player on someone else’s roster and a reported $600,000 to another who can’t get in the first-grade side (Sironen).

On the up side: we’ll probably re-sign Elijah Taylor. The fact that he is supposedly some sort of saviour is pretty damning, though. He’s a decent enough footballer but he’s got a big injury history himself and he was, what, sixth or seventh choice back row forward at Penrith (Cartwright, Merrin, Yeo, Peachey, Grevsmuhl, Fisher-Harris)?

So yeah, forgive me if I don’tr assume that this team is primed to launch into the stratosphere.

• @2041:

@tiga4eva:

The style we were playing before Taylor came wasn’t good enough to qualify for Semis. I don’t blame him for wanting to change it. I even think losing Farah benefitted and will continue to make us a better side. It’s just some selections and persistence in some players that left me puzzled. It’s our best finish since Sheens left, we’re heading in the right direction

Hmm, maybe. Personally I think Taylor’s record at Souths is a worrying precedent:
    2007: 7th (having come last in 2006)
    2008: 14th
    2009: 10th, sacked

At this stage, and granted there’s a long way to go until March 2017, I see zero indication that any of the Tigers’ weaknesses are going to improve next season.

The defence got worse this season - we shipped more points than in 2015. On what basis do we think the trend for 2017 is in the right direction? Oh yeah: a new coach will magically fix everything.

No major signings have been made, and there is no money to add any. We will once again enter a new season squinting to make fringe first graders look like “good depth”. The best new player added for the whole of 2016 was probably Aloai, who wouldn’t get a starting game at two-thirds of the teams in the comp. The bargain basement haul for 2017 might be better - there might be a Tapau in it, for all we know - but that’s nothing but wishful thinking.

Brooks has completely failed to progress and must now be considered a serious risk never to do so. Moses has had some impressive games but folded like a freshly ironed sheet when the pressure went on. In all likelihood 2017 will either be the last season they play together or at least one of them will be an official bust.

Somehow there still seems to be no end in sight of bad capo management. In 2017 we will be paying a reported $750,000 to a player on someone else’s roster and a reported $600,000 to another who can’t get in the first-grade side (Sironen).

On the up side: we’ll probably re-sign Elijah Taylor. The fact that he is supposedly some sort of saviour is pretty damning, though. He’s a decent enough footballer but he’s got a big injury history himself and he was, what, sixth or seventh choice back row forward at Penrith (Cartwright, Merrin, Yeo, Peachey, Grevsmuhl, Fisher-Harris)?

So yeah, forgive me if I don’tr assume that this team is primed to launch into the stratosphere.

Re JT at Souths , absolutely fair point & at the time their team was very similar to the current WTs team in overall ability .

After JTs sacking by Souths , he was replaced by premiership winning coach John Lang , the kind of coach people in this forum crave for us to have .
    Under JL , Souths came 9th & 10th & he was sacked too .

However it’s probably significant that those 4 years in a row that Souths missed the playoffs were when Chris Sandow was starting 7 . Who then left for Parra to inflict similar heartache there .

JTs starting 7 when he got them to the finals was Joe Williams .

Madge took over from JL & Sandow was replaced by a rookie called Adam Reynolds who was a revelation for them .

Recent Topics