A successful future

Players

• two new centres (Simona to move to the wing). At the minimum one strong defending centre. Kev and Rankin to go or play reggies

• Brooks to step up or let him go and recruit an organising #7 with strong defence* A rampaging second rower with mongrel* Need to lock up Moses, Teddy and Woods before the 2017 season starts. Will be a huge distraction if we dont.

Game management* kicking option on the last tackle needs to improve DRAMATICALLY* Momentum in the ruck. We are constantly rolled on our backs in the tackle. Watch Melbourne. Almost always on their knees ready for a quick play the ball* Defence on the edges - new structures needed - we are worst in the league in reading the defence out wide

A good post Tommy as I agree with almost all of it!! I would keep Brooks over Moses if it came to that. The love for Moses on this forum puzzles me.His defence, particularly in pressure situations is woeful. With a couple of games as exceptions his one track high bomb kicking game is poor.There is no consistency with him which isn’t good enough for the coin he’s on. Brooks plays the team game better, his defence has improved markedly this season and his kicking game has more variety. His main issue is he doesn’t run enough and can be under involved at times. Apart from that , I reckon you are spot on

@razor7:

A good post Tommy as I agree with almost all of it!! I would keep Brooks over Moses if it came to that. The love for Moses on this forum puzzles me.His defence, particularly in pressure situations is woeful. With a couple of games as exceptions his one track high bomb kicking game is poor.There is no consistency with him which isn’t good enough for the coin he’s on. Brooks plays the team game better, his defence has improved markedly this season and his kicking game has more variety. His main issue is he doesn’t run enough and can be under involved at times. Apart from that , I reckon you are spot on

Disagree on Moses, his defence is suspect because of his size, it is nothing to do with attitude, he has that by the bucket load. Give him some protection, just like Thurston gets, because the other sides are going to run monsters at him all day. Anyway let me tell you if he went on the open market tomorrow 80% of the clubs would be after him in a flash and you don’t get that sort of attention if your not quality.

As for the original post, makes plenty of valid points, Iam just not sure what we can do about most of the points without cap space

2 centres who can defend

If Brooks doesn’t perform next year, on your bike and move on

Another quality 2nd rower

I’ll shall just go out the back and shake the Centre and backrowers trees to see what falls out…

@Geo.:

I’ll shall just go out the back and shake the Centre and backrowers trees to see what falls out…

Watch out for those drop bears !
😆

We won’t be doing much in the player market, even if we are able to shift some unwanted players.
In other words, the improvement will need to come on the training paddock rather than via recruitment.
It’s the little things that are letting us down - defence in general in particular. Line speed, the wrestle, structure on the edges.
We also defend kicks poorly and our fitness levels appear to be a level below others.

A lot of work to do, but definitely achievable.

@Geo.:

I understand recruitment may be difficult next year with little/no cap space.

Panthers have a few centres. Whare and Hiku been out all year. Where do they go next year with Peachey and Blake going gangbusters in firsts?

We could have a rampaging second rower in Sironen if someone could give him some nasty pills and knock the soft out of him.

On the other points, it is a long off season so no excuse if we cant fix last tackle options, edge defence, and how we are tackled. And locking up our big 3 essential. Can you see the Bulldogs or Broncos letting their 3 best players come off contract at once and let it play out all year?

If the coaching staff could get our defence on the right hand side fixed it would be a massive improvement.For 2 years the opposition pour through gaping holes there despite “supposedly” being the main focus of the coaching

When JT first came on board, he said no signings until 2017. Although there’s been a couple, they’ve been pretty low cost. I wonder who he has in mind. The time is almost upon us.

@Tigertigertiger:

2 centres who can defend

If Brooks doesn’t perform next year, on your bike and move on

Another quality 2nd rower

2 halves who can defend would be nice too.

Agree with most of your post. Our reggies are playing semis and so is our under 20’s. Without recruiting for next year we need to look within. I cant believe someone like Rod Griffin doesnt even get a look in.

@tigers2005:

Agree with most of your post. Our reggies are playing semis and so is our under 20’s. Without recruiting for next year we need to look within. I cant believe someone like Rod Griffin doesnt even get a look in.

Not a favourite, so no luck Rod. :crazy

@851:

@tigers2005:

Not a favourite, so no luck Rod. :crazy

Rankin needs to go but then who would wash JT’s car? Maybe Rod can take over

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.